Medication Concerns

dakphi

Ok- so between myself and my daughter I will have (literally) a backpack full of medicine and medical supplies when we board the ship. I'm concerned that this is going to be a problem and take a long time when we get there. Anybody have any experience with this? We are first time cruisers so I just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!!!

Ok- so between myself and my daughter I will have (literally) a backpack full of medicine and medical supplies when we board the ship. I'm concerned that this is going to be a problem and take a long time when we get there. Anybody have any experience with this? We are first time cruisers so I just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!!!

Have all of your medication in the original bottles, so if someone does ask, it is clearly identifyable. Having said that, I have never had Carnival ask me anything about med's being brought on board.

However, if you are flying, your airline or airport security may question them. As stated above, keep them in the original bottles, and if you feel there might be an issue with some of the med's/devices you are carrying, a letter from your Dr. stating the need/necessity should do.

Have a fantastic 1st cruise ! :D Once your back...the cruise addiction will start !

We have not had any problems boarding a ship and we have been on dozens of Carnival cruises. We have also traveled all over Europe. My husband as medication including controlled drug medications, as well as bags of syringes for diabetes, and additional injectable medications and syringes to control blood clots.

There have never been any questions. He does put the liquid vials in his quart baggie which goes fast. Prior to that we got on the medication line at TSA, but if the liquids fit in the baggie, that way is faster. That is for planes, as far as getting on the ship, there is no liquid restrictions for meds, and no baggie so no one even questions bags of syringes. Since we do back to backs frequently it is not unusual for him to have 200 syringes in bags in his carry on and no one even questions it. I would bring prescription bottles just in case, but we have never been asked for them in any country, any airline checkin or cruise ship checkin.

We've never had any problem, but it is going to be what it is going to be- it's not like you can leave the medicine at home to avoid a hassle and if they are going to check it all then they are going to check it all. Just make sure you have the documentation that you need (like a letter from your doctor).

Law requires them to be in their original bottle. *Just in case* something happens: I would recommend that you only bring enough of the meds to get you through your trip +2 days. Leave any extra quantities at home (clearly labeled, separated and stored in a dark location away from heat sources and light). That way if you lose any of the bottles on your vacation you'll still have the rest once you get home.

We always bring our son's therapy machine in the event he developes an asthma attack and all meds which we need with no problem. Once we did not bring it and he was in the hospital on the ship and it cost us about 800 in medical care he picked up croup and with asthma not a good combo but at least he was fine and they did not have to airlift him out which was next on the agenda.

My dad is in a similar position. He requires many different medications for diabetes. He wears an insulin pump so we bring all the things he needs to change his infusion site with his pump. Plus all of his medications.

I always put all of his medical supplies in my backpack rather than a carry-on bag.

A few years back his blood sugar got really low on a flight to Orlando and couldn't find his glucose tabs quick enough. The flight attendant had to get him a big cup of Orange Juice

I put my medication in a one or two week dispenser depending on how long we will be gone. Have 8 cruises on Carnival and never a problem. As for the flying, I would have the medication in original bottles, you never know what TSA might pull.

I put my medication in a one or two week dispenser depending on how long we will be gone. Have 8 cruises on Carnival and never a problem. As for the flying, I would have the medication in original bottles, you never know what TSA might pull.

No guarantees, which your 8 cruises had in the past. It is still recommended meds be in original containers. I have 83 cruises I've been on, and have been questioned 4//5 times, including once this year.

It also depends where you are sailing. In Australia, they went over every bottle. 2 of my "searches" noted above. This years search was out of Boston.

I think it would be best to be prepared, even with the low chance of this happening.

Law requires them to be in their original bottle. *Just in case* something happens: I would recommend that you only bring enough of the meds to get you through your trip +2 days. ome.

I have to disagree . I usually bring about five extra days and last year I needed it . We were on a cruise when I was alerted that my Mother was very ill so I left the ship and went to her side . Luckily I had some extra medication until I could contact my physician and get more .

I have to disagree . I usually bring about five extra days and last year I needed it . We were on a cruise when I was alerted that my Mother was very ill so I left the ship and went to her side . Luckily I had some extra medication until I could contact my physician and get more .

My husband is an organ transplant receipient, has diabetes with three medications he injects, hypertension, heart patient so he has almost twenty prescription meds not to mention doctor suggested supplements.

We take a two to three week supply in the dividers. Along with the meds, we take a print out from Walgreens that names each med, the RX #, dosage etc. so if questioned we can produce the list. We have never had a problem.

I would suggest you always take extras in the event of a delay of any kind.

Despite what everyone has said, do what you are comfortable doing. If not having original containers will make you anxious or nervous, by all means pack those.

My husband is an organ transplant receipient, has diabetes with three medications he injects, hypertension, heart patient so he has almost twenty prescription meds not to mention doctor suggested supplements.

We take a two to three week supply in the dividers. Along with the meds, we take a print out from Walgreens that names each med, the RX #, dosage etc. so if questioned we can produce the list. We have never had a problem.

I would suggest you always take extras in the event of a delay of any kind.

Despite what everyone has said, do what you are comfortable doing. If not having original containers will make you anxious or nervous, by all means pack those.

It doesn't matter what makes the OP comfortable when it comes to original containers. It is a federal law that it be kept in the original container otherwise one could be charged with all sorts of crimes. Putting meds into a day by day container in your home is one thing - just don't leave the house with it especially when you know you are going through border check points.

As far as how much extra to take - I just threw 2 days out there. If your life depends on some of your meds then of course you would take more than two extra days. It just depends on your situation.

It doesn't matter what makes the OP comfortable when it comes to original containers. It is a federal law that it be kept in the original container otherwise one could be charged with all sorts of crimes. Putting meds into a day by day container in your home is one thing - just don't leave the house with it especially when you know you are going through border check points.

As far as how much extra to take - I just threw 2 days out there. If your life depends on some of your meds then of course you would take more than two extra days. It just depends on your situation.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the law handy would you?

I also woud like a link to that law. My Mom has MS and takes tons of meds in addition to a syringe and she has never traveled with her original presc bottles. Even overseas. So, wondering if this is a law why no one enforces it. She also puts her meds in the daily strip as she takes them 5 times a day. No one has ever said a word. She does travel with a list of everything and the dosage, etc.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the law handy would you?

I also woud like a link to that law. My Mom has MS and takes tons of meds in addition to a syringe and she has never traveled with her original presc bottles. Even overseas. So, wondering if this is a law why no one enforces it. She also puts her meds in the daily strip as she takes them 5 times a day. No one has ever said a word. She does travel with a list of everything and the dosage, etc.

I'll look around for a public link.

I assure you that it is enforced. It isn't always but it is one of those things that people don't always bother with especially if the person in question isn't causing any problems.

Ex: You get pulled over for speeding and are polite, compliant and helpful. Cop sees medicine sticking out of your bag in a multi dose container. You smile. Cop smiles, "Have a nice day."

Ex2: You get pulled over for speeding and ask the officer why he is pulling you over for doing 5 MPH over the limit when there are real criminals out there on the street. You glare and are then asked to exit the vehicle as the officer sees your multi dose container sticking out of your purse. You soon find out how cramped the back seat of a police vehicle is and are introduced to several drug charges.

Those situations happen all the time.

Not quite what I was looking for but here is a case from Florida

http://www.heymanlawfirm.com/legal-to-carry-rx-drugs-in-non-prescription-bottle-but-beware/

Tons of posts on the internet of people being arrested and charged because they did not have their meds in the original container from the pharmacy and /or their prescription. Some of the cases were dropped but many of the people were convicted. If you want to roll the dice, go for it.

http://www.ruaneattorneys.com/drug-defense/connecticut-prescription-laws.php

http://chancolaw.com/atlanta-georgia-drug-defense/georgia-prescription-drug-laws/

I do realize that I made an error - not sure why I specified it is a federal law. You'll generally encounter the same law state to state regarding illegal possession of narcotics / controlled substances.

Edited by arush5268d

I have never had an issue with taking Rx and sometimes have not taken the original bottle, however narcotics are not involved, if they are always keep them in the original bottle. Some pharmacies provide a pullout on each bottle with the required info, that is easy to take with you if you do not wish to take the bottle. If you do take the bottle leave excess at home. Also, use to only take a days extra but now take five due to the problems with the Triumph.

I have never had an issue with taking Rx and sometimes have not taken the original bottle, however narcotics are not involved, if they are always keep them in the original bottle. Some pharmacies provide a pullout on each bottle with the required info, that is easy to take with you if you do not wish to take the bottle. If you do take the bottle leave excess at home. Also, use to only take a days extra but now take five due to the problems with the Triumph.

delete

Edited by Budget Queen

We always take ours in their original bottles and put the bottles in our carry-on in a gallon size baggie so they can easily see them through the baggie. We also bring a letter from our doctor too. I wear an insulin pump, which requires a lot of supplies, and I had my doctor list those on the letter as well. Those supplies also go into a see-through gallon baggie.

Could you please cite the federal law you are talking about. I am curious to know as I am sure are the others here. NEVERMIND ...

HOWEVER, Here is a link to the STATE DEPARTMENT'S WEBSITE and their suggestion for prescriptions medications ABROAD .... not super relevant to cruising but this is the closest I could find: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/health/health_4971.html

And another link to the CBP (Customs & Border Protection): https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67

It is recommended that you have the prescriptions in it's original packaging HOWEVER, you can bring copies of the actual Rx to document the meds. ("You must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor.")

So there you have - not a State Law or a Federal Law. If you have meds that are considered narcotics and/or controlled substances, then the rules DO change.

As a side note, personally I do not put my daily pills in their orinigal packaging - they are in a weekly case. That being said, I do take MegaRed and because it is a gel-type pill, I keep that in the original bottle and actually put it in my checked luggage. It's a vitamin/supplement so no biggie. Now, I have asthma and very bad allergies and have an inhaler and two different nasal sprays - they stay in the original packaging and in a quart-sized bag and I make absolutely certain TSA is aware of it as I go through security. Just traveled 3-weeks ago and had no problems.

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

We cruised last week with my niece who has to carry a lot of prescriptions as well as medical equipment with her. One piece of equipment was quite large and my sister was worried about it being larger than Carnival's stated carry on size. She called special services, explained the situation (size of equipment, number of prescriptions, etc,). There was no problem checking in or going through customs when we got back. She did have all her meds in the original bottles though. They did, however, put a green sticker on her S&S card at check in. We assumed it was to alert the crew of a medical issue if she was incapacitated and none of us were with her. Haven't seen that before on a cruise and this was her first one so not real sure if that was the reason for it or not.