Denali Bluffs hotel or McKinley Village Lodge

MAHA

We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise near Denali in June 2014. There will be construction on the Parks Highway, so we want to stay as near to the entrance to the park as possible. We also want to stay as close as possible to be able to catch the shuttle busses each morning. I am looking at both of these properties with a slight preference to Denali Bluffs. For thos who have stayed near Denali, what would you recommend? We do not want to be 15 miles away in Healy due to the highway construction this summer. I do not want to stay in a Bed & Breakfast or a cabin with outside toilets. I want a nice room with a private bathroom.

We are also staying 3 nights in Seward following the Denali stay, but have already reserved the Holiday Inn express.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Mary Anne:

Are you staying at the McKinley Village or the McKinley Chalets?

While the McKinley Chalets and the Denali Bluffs are both located right outside the entrance to Denali National Park. These are two of the hotels located in the area commonly referred to as "Glitter Gulch."

I've never stayed at the McKinley Village Lodge but have driven past a number of times. It seems to me that it is located eight or nine miles south of the park entrance. If my memory is correct it seems to me that it is south of the Parks 229 Restaurant.

While I haven't checked the DOT website I have read the articles in our local newspaper regarding the Parks Highway. Not only will there be upgrades to the Parks between Denali and Healy there will also be stretches of upgrades south of Denali. I have no idea if there will be work directly south of the Denali Park entrance.

Mary Anne:

Are you staying at the McKinley Village or the McKinley Chalets?

While the McKinley Chalets and the Denali Bluffs are both located right outside the entrance to Denali National Park. These are two of the hotels located in the area commonly referred to as "Glitter Gulch."

I've never stayed at the McKinley Village Lodge but have driven past a number of times. It seems to me that it is located eight or nine miles south of the park entrance. If my memory is correct it seems to me that it is south of the Parks 229 Restaurant.

While I haven't checked the DOT website I have read the articles in our local newspaper regarding the Parks Highway. Not only will there be upgrades to the Parks between Denali and Healy there will also be stretches of upgrades south of Denali. I have no idea if there will be work directly south of the

Denali Park entrance.

My understanding is that McKinley Village Lodge and McKinley Chalet are next door to each other and that McKinley Chalet was recently sold to HAL.

We want somethings close to the entrance because of the construction.

Mary Anne

I do not want to stay in a Bed & Breakfast or a cabin with outside toilets. I want a nice room with a private bathroom.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

What is wrong with B&Bs. Those were almost the only places we stayed in on our 3 month trip in AK and most of them were wonderful with hosts with local knowledge, great breakfasts, and non-cookie-cutter rooms which cost less than hotels or motels. Also, you get to meet interesting people (both locals and tourists) in B&B's. In hotels, you get to meet nobody.

With regard to the worry about outside toilets, where did you get the idea that places in AK have outside toilets - from watching some of the Alaska shows on TV. I think that you will find that nearly all the tourist places in AK have hot and cold water, showers, and inside toilets.

The only place that we stayed at that we had to go out of the room to use the toilet was the Skyline Lodge (http://www.katair.com/skyline.html) at the end of the road in Denali. The toilet was inside, heated and lit but was located in a very close adjacent building. They do have inside toilets in the Kantishna Roadhouse which was close to where we stayed. However, the Kantishna Roadhouse cost $495 per person per day for each person in a double room ($1000 per night for the 2 of us). The Skyline Inn was less than $300 for the both of us. I was willing to walk to an adjacent building to save $700 per day.

I do appreciate that if there is road construction between Denali and Healey, this could present a problem.

Just my opinion.

DON

Edited by donaldsc