Noro on the Gem

VioletHorse

DS is currently on the Gem and has reported that as of this afternoon there is no self serve in the buffet, drink stations are roped off and not accessible to passengers, and drink menus have been pulled from all the bars.

Although there hasn't been an official announcement yet, the supervisor at the front desk explained that the restrictions were "due to the GI".

Hopefully they get it under control quickly.

Yikes... And NCL was doing extraordinarily well the past two years. Hope it's only precautionary and a minor outbreak.

Looks like Celebrity is the big outbreak winner this year. Shucks, I was expecting Princess to win again like they did last year.

CDC Outbreak Updates for International Cruises

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

cdc-noro-20131121.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

This is exactly why we carry our Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and hand sanitizer...I will be adding antibacterial hand soap to my luggage. Germiphobic? Nah! I just don't want to be sick if I could have prevented it. :)

I certainly hope it's only a precaution. But I plan to have a blast come Monday anyway.

Actually, I prefer to have the staff use the tongs. Then I know the "non-handwashing" person in line before me can't give me their germies!

Everyone, stay well, seriously.

I feel real lucky we were on last week. The week before us, I was told, had rain in every port and rough seas. Now the week after has noro.

Hopefully, everything is now all out of it's system and we'll have clear sailing, blue skies, warm temps, and no sickness! :cool:

I think the main reason for this is some people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom !!!!! Disgusting !!!!! Some people are just pigs, with no regard for others.

Honestly I think there are more germs in a public restroom. I try not to touch anything. Most of the time I don't wash my hands. I carry a small tube of hand sanitizer and use that. Not just on a cruise ship but anywhere. Yes I am scared of germs. Lol.

Hand sanitizers provide a false sense of security. They are no substitute for proper hand washing...

Wash hands regularly and with soap and water for 20-30 seconds (hum the final jeopardy theme)

Use a paper towel to open the rest room door when exiting

Avoid touching eyes, nose, mouth (use a tissue or shirt sleeve in a pinch) especially after touching public surfaces and objects.

From the CDC:

"... alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Edited by kylenyc

One of the cruises I was working onboard had a 300 ish passenger outbreak and they were able to track it down to the person who brought it onboard. It's almost always caused by someone boarding the ship sick and lying on their health questionnaire.

I worked in a hospital for many years and can tell you that the spread of most outbreaks of noro, flu and type of virus is b/c 1. people don't wash their hands enough, and 2 people don't realize what they've touched that may have germs on it.

Don't touch handrails on the stairs... buttons in the elevators... door handles to the restrooms... all of these things add to the potential spread of a viral infection.

Just sayin'

Stay informed...stay healthy,

One thing I always see is people picking up plates with their dirty hands and then putting them back when they notice their friend already grabbed one for them. I wish staff would hand out plates and cups to prevent this.

I spoke to the Gem HD on a past cruise... If the officers are concerned about noro, they will in fact do exactly that. I saw the crew hand out utensils and plates at the buffet on the first day or two of the cruise in order to monitor passenger health. After there was no signs of illness, they went back to regular self-service. They also monitor news of any health concerns from other ships in the same ports of call. NCL's had no serious outbreaks in two years and I'm not worried about sailing her in a few weeks. However, I'll still take basic precautions... I don't want to catch a cold, flu, or any other winter bugs either.

Edited by kylenyc

Totally agree. I work in healthcare and just wanted to add ****

Hand sanitizers provide a false sense of security. They are no substitute for proper hand washing...

Wash hands regularly and with soap and water for 20-30 seconds (hum the final jeopardy theme)

******USE PAPER TOWEL TO TURN WATER FAUCET OFF( dirty hands PRIOR to washing turned it on)*****

Use a paper towel to open the rest room door when exiting*****VERY IMPORTANT. ******If other people do not wash, it is the first surface they are touching

Avoid touching eyes, nose, mouth (use a tissue or shirt sleeve in a pinch) especially after touching public surfaces and objects.

From the CDC:

"... alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by spidybabe

We were on NCL Gem Nov. 6 to 15 and I believe I caught a bit of the bug after dining in the Buffet on embarkaton day. DW & I became suspicious when we boarded we were sprayed and at every food venue we were sprayed. I had no fever, or vomitting but I felt like a food processor until we got to San Juan and was able to get Pepto & Imodium.(not available on ship). We heard lots of flushing around us.

From the CDC, simple common sense!

When to wash your hands:

Before:

Touching your hand to your mouth, including:

Eating and drinking,

Smoking, and

Brushing your teeth.

Helping a sick person.

After:

Going to the bathroom.

Changing diapers.

Touching high-hand contact surfaces, such as:

Door knobs,

Elevator buttons, and

Railings.

Returning to your cabin.

Helping a sick person.

Blowing your nose.

How to wash your hands:

Wet your hands with warm water.

Apply a generous amount of soap.

Rub your hands together for 20 seconds.

Rinse your hands.

Dry your hands with a paper towel.

Use the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.

If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 60% ethanol.