Overboard?! How does that happen!?

lucigo

I know I have asked that question. Sure people go over and you think it must have been alcohol or suicide. How can someone accidentally go over such a high balcony ledge?

I snapped these 2 pictures from our balcony within a couple of days of each other.

Standing on a deck chair while at sea taking sunrise picture....

IMG_7137_zps0e7bc11c.jpg

Chatting while pulling out to sea....

1471934_10201565421752264_305456947_n_zpsd991bff6.jpg

And yes I made sure no faces could be made out to protect their ...um.. privacy.

I know I have asked that question. Sure people go over and you think it must have been alcohol or suicide. How can someone accidentally go over such a high balcony ledge?

I snapped these 2 pictures from our balcony within a couple of days of each other.

Not to defend stupid, but in one photo the ship is in port; if that person fell over they would land on the lower balcony, not over the side.

The person in the other photo is close to a corner, but again would probably land on to the balcony below.

I fail to see, based on the pictures, how either person is stupid / moron / any of the other names they were called.

The guy sitting on the edge - the ship is docked. The other guy is standing in the corner from what I see. How is that dangerous?

We saw this stupidity 2x on our last NCL Jewel cruise. The first time was in the morning on our first sea day and the guy was sitting on the edge like the guy in your 2nd picture...only he was right on the ledge and not off to the side. The second time was later on that same day and a different guy was sitting on the ledge with his legs both hanging on the ocean side. One of the Bridge workers saw him and opened the door up there yelling at him to get down. I had never seen this before on any of other cruises and the stupidity of it just amazed me. What makes this all the more amazing was that this ship had one of the oldest demographics we have sailed with (New Orleans in October). It most definately wasn't a party ship.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I fail to see, based on the pictures, how either person is stupid / moron / any of the other names they were called.

The guy sitting on the edge - the ship is docked. The other guy is standing in the corner from what I see. How is that dangerous?

Well for one thing, whether docked or not, the cabins are many floors high OFF the ground. If it's docked, the fall is just as dangerous. I wouldn't look at pics of someone on a hotel room balcony standing on a chair by the edge of the railing or sitting with their hiney wedged between the railing and the wall and say "hey look at those smart people." That is dumb and dangerous whether the ship is moving or not.

When someone falls off a cruise ship, it's not just the water that makes it so dangerous but the height they fall from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well for one thing, whether docked or not, the cabins are many floors high OFF the ground. If it's docked, the fall is just as dangerous. I wouldn't look at pics of someone on a hotel room balcony standing on a chair by the edge of the railing or sitting with their hiney wedged between the railing and the wall and say "hey look at those smart people." That is dumb and dangerous whether the ship is moving or not.

When someone falls off a cruise ship, it's not just the water that makes it so dangerous but the height they fall from.

Some people over-worry about things and over think things. We are talking about someone that is sitting down NEXT to the railing. I wouldnt want a child to do that but that is relatively safe for an adult. When I was a kid I would sneak onto the second story roof at night to watch the stars. At X-mas time I would get on the roof and scoot along to hang up christmas lights because it was much quicker than using a ladder. Did I die or fall? Nope.

Really??? Wow is all I can say.

I think people just don't think. We were on the Fascination during SS Sandy and it was really rough seas. Like hang on walking down a hallway. The decks had all been closed for two days. We were waiting in line at the buffet and a guy (30's) with his big camera pushed open the deck door to go out on the deck to take a picture. He had to brace his body just to stand upright. We all thought-what an idiot! He took some pictures-decided to come back in-the air pressure was so strong he couldn't get the door to open. He put one hand on the middle and pulled the other door-it released and slammed onto his hand. A guy helped him get the door open so he could get inside. That stupidity could have cost him his life. Some people feel they are safe because they are on vacation. :eek:

Some people over-worry about things and over think things. We are talking about someone that is sitting down NEXT to the railing. I wouldnt want a child to do that but that is relatively safe for an adult. When I was a kid I would sneak onto the second story roof at night to watch the stars. At X-mas time I would get on the roof and scoot along to hang up christmas lights because it was much quicker than using a ladder. Did I die or fall? Nope.

Your house won't unexpectedly move on you, either (well, unless you live in Calfornia;)). The pictured behavior is not a recommended practice because it is unsafe.

Oh I'm not worried, because I won't be doing it nor feeling sorry for those that are dumb enough to do it. As for your childhood activities, for one these people are grown. Second, those decks are higher than 2 stories. If you think it's ok, join them. Me myself, there are plenty of places to sit and take pictures. I've yet to have a problem doing either. As for hanging lights, we do that too with the use of a ladder, which provides steps to go up and down. Never seen any ladders hanging off of balconies.

I agree. I did some dumb things as a kid too. But I like to think we get smarter as we get older. We all used to drive around without seat belts too. People used to smoke without a care in he world. But we get smarter.