Purchasing wine in Fort Lauderdale/cruise port

puppers

We would like to get a few bottles of wine for our Dec 7th cruise. We're staying overnight at the Marriott Fairfield near the airport and then using their shuttle to get to the cruise port. Is their anything near the cruise port or Marriott where you can buy wine as we don't have access to a car?

That's the best place. You can call ahead and they will have your order ready for you.

I doubt that the hotel shuttle would make a detour all the way up there.

OP - there's a Publix supermarket about a mile west of your hotel, or you might find something closer along Griffin Rd

Take a taxi from your hotel to the port and have him stop at Total Wine. If you have ordered ahead, they will have your order ready and it will take a short time for you to pick up your order. IMO, ONE of you should remain in the taxi and the other go into the store. I would never leave our fully loaded luggage and carryons unattended in a taxi. ;) Total Wine is five minutes from the entrance to Port Everglades.

Take a taxi from your hotel to the port and have him stop at Total Wine.
Or, they could take a taxi from the airport to the hotel the night before and stop somewhere along the way. Edited by jtl513

Or, they could take a taxi from the airport to the hotel the night before and stop somewhere along the way.

we're getting in too late to do that but I do like Sail7Sea's idea of a taxi to the cruise port with a stop a Total Wine on the way. Good advise about having one person stay in the cab too........

Just got off the Eurodam yesterday in Fort-Lauderdale.

We flew in on embarkation day and had booked the HAL transfer from the airport to the port. Knowing that we would have no opportunity to buy wine before embarkation, we packed a 1-litre bottle in our checked luggage.

Once on board, I confirmed with Security that we can buy wine at ports-of-call and bring it on board for in-room consumption. We bought a couple of bottles at the CVS at the port in San-Juan.

Are aware of the new wine carry on policy? Hate for you to purchase wine and then not be able to take it with you.

It is my understanding that HA will just keep you excess wine after Jan 31 and return it on the last night.

I just returned from Nev 8 cruise. I bought some wine at Total wine and carried it on in those cloth wine bags. I had no trouble and it was not gicen a look. I just put it of the security belt and walked on. The policy does not go in to effect until January.

I do htink it will change as talking to the Head wine man (the man who does the wine testing) he said its going to be a mess on tours in Wine county cruises. maybe on bottle per person or more. the wine testing tours will not be sold out. Because no one will be able to bring back any wine from thoses vineyards

Mary

They're good to go. The policy doesn't come into effect until Jan 31st.

I'd taxi from the hotel to Total Wine...easy peasy. I have a weird situation this winter...Maasdam from 1.27 to 2.7. Then, Noordam from 2.7 to 2.17! One with the current policy...the other with the new.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Hello Puppers - perhaps you are aware but if not..in Florida -

Major Grocery stores such as Publix and Winn Dixie as well as drug stores - such as CVS AND Walgreens - all carry wine - champagne....

You can even find a pretty good wine section in Target...

Even Mini marts / gas stations such as Gate - Shell and Lil' Champ have small but adequate displays...of

Another option could be ABC Liquor or Broudy's

Not sure about the location of the Fairfield but unless you are in the market for a really rare or off the beaten path (so to speak) vintage - like you can find at Total Wine - you should be able to find something adequate close by....With walking distance - if not - then your just a cab ride away:-)

Hope that helps some- happy sails!

• 1 month later...

I said at the Hyatt and there was a mall across the street. they had Total wine and Publex. they also had a shuttle the hotel would drop you off within a range. (free) but not to dock. At Mall the had a trolly a dollar for the day. Hope on and off. If trolly is near your hotel this might work. Alsos I used a shuttle hotel recomanded its not one of those buses or vans with a lot of folks. I paid 7.00 from hotel to ship and then 7.00 from ship to airport. I was only one in car

Mary

Just got off the Eurodam yesterday in Fort-Lauderdale.

We flew in on embarkation day and had booked the HAL transfer from the airport to the port. Knowing that we would have no opportunity to buy wine before embarkation, we packed a 1-litre bottle in our checked luggage.

Once on board, I confirmed with Security that we can buy wine at ports-of-call and bring it on board for in-room consumption. We bought a couple of bottles at the CVS at the port in San-Juan.

Is there anything special that we should say to security when entering back onto the ship with a couple bottles of wine from port-of-calls or just not say anything and run it thru the metal detector? Thank you.

Is there anything special that we should say to security when entering back onto the ship with a couple bottles of wine from port-of-calls or just not say anything and run it thru the metal detector? Thank you.

You don't have to say anything because when they scan your bags, they will see the bottles.

Just one note that if you are sailing after Jan.31 you will not be allowed to bring any wine on the ship when you are in port.