UK Cruise tips for booking with US TA?

tine-tine

I am looking for tips from UK cruisers that have experience of booking through a US TA. I have tried some internet searches and, fairly obviously, I only come up with US freephone telephone numbers. How did you get round this, what advice do you have for others and although you can't give actual company names, can you give clues/pointers?

Thank you for your great tips. We have decided after, historically, booking mainly with UK TA's and receiving no service once they had your booking, used Celebrity with similar experience, we will have a go at a US agent.

Generally, we travel at least one week ahead so less room for travel disasters pre cruise, plus we escape the cold for longer and helps justify the cost of the flight.

Looking at the Boards and seeing the perks available to US citizens makes me think it must be worth a look. We will intend to book a 28 night b2b and UK agents never offer any incentives to book with them, in fact I find booking with Celebrity direct a preferable option to UK TA's as you can at least handle your own booking as going through a UK agents takes forever to get a response and if you query that response involves further prolonged waits.

I will give it a try and report back for benefit of other UK members.

Do you have contact with any American cruisers who might be able to give you some feedback on who they use? Personal recommendation will give you more comfort. You need to find a travel agency that is happy to deal with a UK resident. Not all of them will.

There are benefits and pitfalls from my experience. The refundable deposit that you get in the US is a benefit as are some of the pricing opportunities. I say that because sometimes the UK prices are more advantageous depending upon which promo is being offered at the time. Time differences can mean that contact is more tricky if you want something done there and then (which I do from time to time with cabin changes and getting that favourite cabin), but this may be less of an issue to you. Also bear in mind if you are booking far ahead that you will have an exchange risk if you have a large balance to pay. You can mitigate this easily by paying more of the amount due at final payment upfront, but then you won't have use of the money and if the rate of exchange goes up then you will be unable to take advantage of it. If you do pay more at the start make sure you can get it all back if you cancel.

Just a few random thoughts.

Phil

Folks ~ in reading the responses in this thread, many used "disguises" to hint at the names of travel agencies. I think everyone here knows that our guidelines do not permit that. Please do not use the names of agencies nor try to give out names in a "charades" fashion. We appreciate your adherence to the Community Guidelines you accepted when you joined.

Tine Tine ~ Phil gave you some good advice. I'm sure you'll be able to connect with folks who will have some suggestions for you.

Happy Cruising!