Turning Elite during a cruise- when do Benefits start?

marciab

With the old and new Captains Club point system we will finally be achieving Elite status about half way through our Iceland/Norwegian Fjord trip next summer.

My question is.. do we get the Elite benefits for that cruise.. or do they start on the next?

With the old and new Captains Club point system we will finally be achieving Elite status about half way through our Iceland/Norwegian Fjord trip next summer.

My question is.. do we get the Elite benefits for that cruise.. or do they start on the next?

No, you will not be turning Elite halfway through a single cruise. You don't get the points until the cruise is over.

You must complete the cruise. It takes 2-3 weeks after the cruise is completed for you to be credited with your points.

The cruise after that you will have Elite status.

It has always been the next cruise. Who knows how they will do it with the new program. You now earn points per day so maybe they will provide benefits on the day you qualify.

I would ask the CC host no harm in that.

This is a fair question. With the old system it was clearly based on number of completed cruises so it made sense that you'd have wait until after, but the new system is based on a daily tally. My guess is you'd have to wait until the next cruise since that would be in Celebrity's favor, but the new system does beg this question.

The Terms and Conditions of the Tier method say, "Celebrity Cruises makes it possible for you to earn up to eighteen Club Points per night."

So, if you are earning the points "per night", it seems possible that you could cross a threshold during a cruise. They don't specifically say in the Terms and Conditions that you couldn't reach a goal during a cruise. It only mentions that you become a Captain's Club member after your first sailing. They don't seem to be very clear otherwise. I just glanced through all the current Terms and FAQs and I couldn't find anything stating this specifically.

Since you will be in this situation you may want to send an email to the Captains Club (CaptainsClub@celebrity.com) and ask directly. I'd be curious to hear what they say about this one since what they posted is slightly nebulous. If they do let you advance during the cruise you may win a few free drinks. You have nothing to lose by asking.

Tom

I like maxsales answer better.. ;) Just sent CC an email..

I have a question regarding the new points system. We just booked a 2nd cruise for next year - Infinity 6.23.2014 res # xxxx- too new to show up online yet.. We will be achieving Elite status during this cruise. With the new points system you now are earning points every day- so will we be able to have the Elite benefits once we hit those points during that cruise?

Will post when I hear back..

Edited by marciab

I like maxsales answer better.. ;) Just sent CC an email..

I have a question regarding the new points system. We just booked a 2nd cruise for next year - Infinity 6.23.2014 res # xxxx- too new to show up online yet.. We will be achieving Elite status during this cruise. With the new points system you now are earning points every day- so will we be able to have the Elite benefits once we hit those points during that cruise?

Will post when I hear back..

You aren't credited any points until you have completed your cruise. Nice try though!;)

Phil

Of course, you are *assuming* this, but much has changed in the last few days and it doesn't say specifically any longer and even says that points are earned every day.

So, no harm in trying though.

Tom

You aren't credited any points until you have completed your cruise. Nice try though!;)

Phil

It has always been the next cruise. Who knows how they will do it with the new program. You now earn points per day so maybe they will provide benefits on the day you qualify.

I would ask the CC host no harm in that.

royal doesn't extend benefits in the middle of a cruise despite being on the same style unless you are on a B2B.. if you jump levels during the first leg you will usually get those new benefits ion the second leg but otherwise, you have to wait the 10 + days to get credit.

one would assume Celebrity will follow the same practice

If this was the case then I should have been elite on my last cruise after 12 nights. Does not happen this way. It took 10 days after to show up on my account. If you are on a B2B the your new card is issued with your old status and you need to visit the captains club hostess to have the change made. Our first elite cruise will be in Jan.!!!!