Debate-Should Couples/Groups Buy Studio Cabins?

sunbird21

OK,I'm not usually an instigator,but I've been reviewing threads for research for my upcoming trip,and I've come across a portion of reviews that have left me unsettled. So,for the sake of argument,I'm opening it up to debate.

NCL has introduced the concept of studio cabins for SOLO travelers,in order to make cruising more affordable for those who do not have partners,do not have partners/friends/family that will travel,or whatever. Its obviosuly been a great idea,as they've introduced it to Breakaway,Getaway,and even another well known line that shall remain nameless is incorporating them into their new mega ship.

However,I've read a LOT of reviews where these cabins are being purchased by groups of people,whether it be friends or family,that simply like the idea of having their "own" space. Astonishingly,I've seen a few where COUPLES buy two studios for this reason,or to have extra storage/bathroom facilites.Some of those reviews commented on how nice it was to have a bed to themselves...I'm sorry,but if you are traveling with a spouse/partner and need separate sleeping arrangements,maybe your relationship needs something other than a cruise.

With only 59 cabins available,it doesnt seem fair to me that a solo traveler would either have to choose a different time to cruise or pay more for an inside cabin because people that ARE in the position to be able to take advantage of the bigger cabins at decent prices choose to monopolize something thats geared for those who aren't. It also defeats the purpose of the studio lounge/solo gathering to an extent b/c those groups/couples dont attend those activities,and the coordinators are likely to stop hosting them if they get accustomed to non-solos staying in the studios.This would take away another aspect from the true solo travelers trying to meet up with other people.

Interested to hear feedback on this...

Stacey

You asked for opinions so I'll give you mine. All rooms on the ship are open to be booked as people book them. (the exception being handicap accessible cabins). If solos book first and you want one, guess you'll have to book earlier. Don't see a problem with them being booked by groups or couples that think they work for them, they want those cabins, they are willing to pay for them, and guess they were available when they booked. There are lots of cabins that are limited like aft balconies, haven suites, etc.

A little background on the Studios. They were introduced on the Epic and not originally marketed to solo passengers. They were bargain priced inside cabins and marketed like any other cabin targeting double occupancy. NCL stumbled into the solo marketing idea by originally waving the single supplement. Since then they have raised the prices so in fact the solo fares are equal to a 50-75% single supplement. Sometimes the larger inside cabins with 100% single supplement are just about the same price.

The net they are not only marketed to solo cruises but any cruiser that wants a room to themselves often for those that can not fit the whole family in one cabin or suite.

I've read a LOT of reviews where these cabins are being purchased by groups of people,whether it be friends or family,that simply like the idea of having their "own" space. Astonishingly,I've seen a few where COUPLES buy two studios for this reason,or to have extra storage/bathroom facilites.
I have to admit, I don't hate the idea… :o

I have an S4 2 bedroom suite booked in the Haven on the Breakaway for August and was/is seriously contemplating also purchasing a studio for extra room or extra bed/bathroom.

Are you saying since I already booked one cabin I shouldn't book another? Would you think its ok for me to book an inside or balcony instead and why would that be different? Just because the studios are limited it just makes me think to book earlier rather than later to get exactly what I want to pay for on my cruise.

Happy sailings whatever cabin(s) you end up booking!

Solo traveler here who has stayed in the Studio's three times. The scenario you described is an exception rather than the rule. On my sailings that was never an issue.

Having said that I say whoever books first with their dollars then so be it. That would be like people being upset with me, a solo traveler, booking the largest owners suite for myself. Everyone is free to book what they want.

Pretty much a non-issue in my book and something to file in the MYOB folder. :D

Sorry, I see no problem either. If a couple wants the extra expense of booking two solo cabins, so be it. If some couples, or groups don't want to bunk together, what business is of your's or mine? I don't think the cruise line cares one way or the other as its the same revenue generated vs. selling the cabins to solo cruisers.

The scenario you described is an exception rather than the rule.
But if these sorts of travelers were to start occupying a significant proportion of the studio bookings, I would hope that NCL would step in and react accordingly. That is, by encouraging them. An interesting new marketing angle and further proof that they were on to something big when they introduced the studio concept!

Like many of the other replies, I don't have a problem at all with how the studio cabins are sold. Early bird (with money) gets the worm. If a solo traveler really wants a studio cabin, he simply needs to be fast on the trigger, no different from any other desired cabin on the ship.

But if these sorts of travelers were to start occupying a significant proportion of the studio bookings, I would hope that NCL would step in and react accordingly. That is, by encouraging them. An interesting new marketing angle and further proof that they were on to something big when they introduced the studio concept!

If the solo cabins do not sell well a new marketing angle would be to advertise these to couples as a snoring free vacation alternative. :D

Snoring hubby in one solo and well rested wifey in the other. ;)

Of course that would apply to all those other hubbies out there. I don't snore - Honest!

Edited by DirtyDawg

who's business is any of this?

If someone wants to sail on the ship, they are welcome to do so.. what's next, some sort of socio-economic profile of who is allowed in a Suite, or a Balcony?

All cabins on the ship have a finite number and it is nobody's business IMO who books it or if others think they have a higher purpose or idea for utilization of that cabin on a particular sailing.

Often I will read the various postings throughout the day and not comment. This post changed my mind. Much like all posts, the views expressed by the OP and how the message is received is subjective; including mine. I chose to comment because I fall within the category of a couple who booked studio cabins. First, I agree with others who have indicated, first come, first serve when it comes to selecting any cabin. Second, regarding the following statement, "I'm sorry,but if you are traveling with a spouse/partner and need separate sleeping arrangements, maybe your relationship needs something other than a cruise," unless you are a licensed, certified marriage counselor, therapist, or psychologist; and are able to interview every couple staying in the solo cabins-not sure how you came to this conclusion.

I was originally supposed to cruise with one of my good friends, and yes we still would have been in solo cabins. Due to a series of tragedies in her family she could not go. Well since we were going for my birthday, I decided to still cruise. My cabin was paid and I had my OBC and excursions paid for. My DH work scheduled changed and he asked me if I wanted him to go and I said yes. We have been traveling together for 13 years and this would have been the first time traveling apart. I booked thru an online TA at the time because of the incentives and he booked directly with the cruise line because it gave him a later due date than the online TA. He had his OBC, I had my OBC. I say this to say, people book studios for different reasons. It should not be contingent upon whether or not you know the person in the cabin next to you. If there are 59 cabins available, why wait until the last minute to book if you know this?

I'm sorry,but if you are traveling with a spouse/partner and need separate sleeping arrangements,maybe your relationship needs something other than a cruise.

Maybe one partner suffers from pain, a condition that causes them to need to use the bathroom frequently, or any other situation in which they need to get out of bed during the night and don't wish to disturb their partner.

Maybe one partner kicks or talks in their sleep.

Maybe they simply sleep better in separate beds and enjoy spending time together when they're awake rather than when they're asleep.

You sound like someone who is single and doesn't understand what really matters in a relationship; perhaps after some experience you will realize what a ridiculous statement that was.

Edited by tempura

I agree with the OP. Since the studios were INTENDED for solos, that means all other cabins should sail with their intended maximum passenger capacity as well. What's that? "Sleeps 4" in an Inside doesn't sound so great? Too bad. It's only fair. You want that inside cabin? You better find three small friends who don't smell too bad... :rolleyes:

I agree with the OP. Since the studios were INTENDED for solos, that means all other cabins should sail with their intended maximum passenger capacity as well. What's that? "Sleeps 4" in an Inside doesn't sound so great? Too bad. It's only fair. You want that inside cabin? You better find three small friends who don't smell too bad... :rolleyes:

When studios were first introduced aboard the Epic, they weren't INTENDED for solos. They had a booking option for couples that wanted to cruise on the cheap. What they realized was that the studios filled a rather successful niche market so they changed their marketing strategies.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When studios were first introduced aboard the Epic, they weren't INTENDED for solos. They had a booking option for couples that wanted to cruise on the cheap. What they realized was that the studios filled a rather successful niche market so they changed their marketing strategies.

Your sarcasm detector is busted. :)

If the solo cabins do not sell well a new marketing angle would be to advertise these to couples as a snoring free vacation alternative. :D

Snoring hubby in one solo and well rested wifey in the other. ;)

Of course that would apply to all those other hubbies out there. I don't snore - Honest!

I agree 100%!! I have terrible insomnia and my husband snores like a chainsaw! Booking 2 studios could turn out to be the most awesome, well rested vacation ever!!!! :D

I guess the masses have spoken.

My mom and I cruise together. After sharing cabins we discovered the NCL suite life and we now book the ones with a separate room with a door.

Mom is a night owl who likes the tv on 24/7

I am an early to bed/early riser who likes peace and quiet.

Mom snores and I don't. At least I never heard myself. :)

So... I would definately see us booking these if we didn't do suites.

I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with who books these studios. People's choices and preferenes are their own business and if it is ok with NCL as seller whose business is it of ours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So does this mean if you are in a solo cabin and you have the opportunity to move to a balcony you will turn it down because it is only fair that it be occupied by more than one person?

So does this mean if you are in a solo cabin and you have the opportunity to move to a balcony you will turn it down because it is only fair that it be occupied by more than one person?

You can't have possibly missed the sarcasm in that post... maybe my sarcasm implementor is busted!

if the solo cabins do not sell well a new marketing angle would be to advertise these to couples as a snoring free vacation alternative. :d

snoring hubby in one solo and well rested wifey in the other. ;)

of course that would apply to all those other hubbies out there. I don't snore - honest!

b i n g o ! !