Recommended Excursion For Western Carribbean (Carnival Legend)

momof02kidz

Looking for any recommendations on what excursion to take that I am going on a Carnival Cruise to the following:

Belize, Cozumel and Mohagany Bay-Isla Roatan. I thought about not booking anything in Cozumel thinking I can hop in a cab and find something to do there, but I would appreciate any feedback regarding Belize and Mohagany Bay.

Also, is it recommended to use the ship for the excursion versus doing it on my own? I fear missing the ship etc..

Any help would be appreciated.

progress.gif

Belize-

If you are into snorkeling, we did the Barrier Reef Snorkeling & Island Beach Break and really enjoyed it. Short boat ride out to the reef and snorkeled for over an hour, free rum punch afterwards, and then ride to a private island for some beach time. Enough time after getting back to the boat to clean up and head into port for chips, salsa and drinks at the Wet Lizard bar.

Cozumel would be Nachi Cocum. All inclusive beach resort for $50 per person. You have to reserve on line and they only take 100 people per day. It is like a private club 15 minutes from the pier by taxi. Google it. It's outstanding.

Looking for any recommendations on what excursion to take that I am going on a Carnival Cruise to the following:

Belize, Cozumel and Mohagany Bay-Isla Roatan. I thought about not booking anything in Cozumel thinking I can hop in a cab and find something to do there, but I would appreciate any feedback regarding Belize and Mohagany Bay.

Also, is it recommended to use the ship for the excursion versus doing it on my own? I fear missing the ship etc..

Cozumel is probably the easiest port on your list to hop in a cab and get to town to wander around the shops, or hit a beach or Chankanaab. I enjoy visiting the museum in town (very inexpensive), and if you walk away from the ocean front and in a few blocks there are lots of fun little shops that are glad to bargain with you. I previously did the zipline with my daughter, and that was fun as well. I also did the dune buggy excursion, which was okay (don't expect a wild ride, they want everyone to drive cautiously and follow the tour).

In Roatan, I was quite happy with the Maya Key excursion, and I'm doing it again in December. For my own excursion, I've also just exited the gated mall port, walked up and over the hill and simply hired a driver to take me around for the day after settling on a good rate.

I'm a little more adventurous in Belize. I grab a cab to the little municipal airport (about $5 each way) and then take one of the hourly flights to a nearby island of San Pedro, Ambergris. It's a wonderful peaceful island with lots of water sports (I kayak), great little restaurants, plenty of beaches, and if you're into scuba or snorkeling, one of the most spectacular reefs in the world. I use Tropic Air, and the fare is less than $70 round trip, 20 minutes each way. Flights go each way hourly. The island is also served by a water taxi that has a reputation for being unreliable, so I've never used it. As for a Belize excursion, my daughter and I did the jungle bike ride, which is easy enough for anyone who's capable of walking up a few flights of stairs -- the route is mostly flat, with wide trails and lots of stops for the tour guides to tell about the jungle ecosystem. I'd do it again, but I enjoy San Pedro so much that I never get around to it.

Edited by larkz

Roatan....consider just staying at the port. Carnival has a private beach that you can walk to from the ship.

Belize....we too, have done the River Wallace with Altun Ha. It was a good tour (with Carnival). I also really enjoyed the city tour/zoo Carnival excursion. The zoo is a bit of a drive. The animals are all native to Belize and are in enclosures which represent their native habitat. It was a surprisingly enjoyable day! On both of those excursions, we found the guides on the bus really informative about the country during our driving time.

Roatan we did the zipline beach break thru carnival. This was one of my favorite days. You start clear up on a mountain and I think there were a total of 13 ziplines. You end up on a beach at the end. Then they take you to Tabayna. Beautiful!

Belize we did rendezvous cay thru carnival, as they pick you up right on the ship. Loved it!

We did nachi cocum on Cozumel. It was a nice relaxing beach day. Very beautiful there and food and drinks were good.

Edited by kona_wahine

Cozumel: Do your own thing. It's easy to get cabs, lots of beaches and restuarants. Shopping is cheap so it's good to do any souvenir shopping here. Margaritaville is by punta langosta pier downtown.

Belize: I always do a Carnival excursion as most of them are full day and don't leave a lot of time to spare. We did the ruins tour. Shopping in the port area is expensive.

Roatan: Victor Bodden tours and ask for Tex. they'll take you wherever you want on the island. If you like jewelry, go to the cameo factory. The blind tiger inn had lobster when we were there a few visits ago and it was amazing. Shopping in the port area is hit or miss. Try the little market or the kiosks.

Cozumel: We took a cab to Chankanaab, which we really enjoyed. They have a nice "beach" and good snorkeling. They also have food, souvenirs and even a dolphin swim activity which is awesome. I think it was about 20$ per person to get into the park. Also, as others have said, Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocum look really nice too.

Belize: Did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour through Carnival. It was really interesting and beautiful, and the lunch that comes with it was delicious too. I don't think there is much to do on your own around the port and might not be the best place to wander around anyways...someone tried to sell crack to my brother there :eek:

Roatan: The beach right there at the port looks really nice, and its free. However, when we were in Roatan, there were 2 ships, so we chose to go to Little French Key to avoid the crowds. The resort is very nice, though expensive. It included some drinks, food and some activities. Unfortunately we couldn't stay long because we had an early departure, but if you have a long day andare willing to splurge, I would recommend it. Also, as others have said, the Victor Bodden tours seem to rate very well, as does the west end/Tabyana beach.

We hit these ports on the Legend during our last cruise. 3 of us with an 8 year old daughter.

Cozumel: 2nd time here, never cared for this port, VERY touristy, crowded, shops everywhere, many chain bars like Senor Frogs, Fat Tuesday/Margaritaville etc. We negotiated a ride to the less populated wild side of the island, had the driver stop for a 6-pack for me, then hit his favorite street food vendor for lunch-to-go, then drop us off. We wandered several hours along the beach, stopping to eat, even wandered across the road into a great field of palms, rocks and critters. At a pre-determined time, driver returned for us where he dropped us.

Belize: one of are all time favorite ports, awesome locals, wandered into town, gotta get out of the over-priced tourism village. Ate local food at Neries, hit the museum, church, visited a school, sat with locals on their porch chatting, bought some rum and hot sauce in town.

Roatan: so pretty, hilly and lush. Hired a guide, again got a 6 pack and some baleadas and cruised around in the hills, avoiding the over-crowded West end beaches. Visited an orphanage for awhile, donated some school supplies, bought local coffee from the mainland, hiked a bit to some overlooks. No ziplines, caged monkeys or groomed beaches required :)

We hit these ports on the Legend during our last cruise. 3 of us with an 8 year old daughter.

Cozumel: 2nd time here, never cared for this port, VERY touristy, crowded, shops everywhere, many chain bars like Senor Frogs, Fat Tuesday/Margaritaville etc. We negotiated a ride to the less populated wild side of the island, had the driver stop for a 6-pack for me, then hit his favorite street food vendor for lunch-to-go, then drop us off. We wandered several hours along the beach, stopping to eat, even wandered across the road into a great field of palms, rocks and critters. At a pre-determined time, driver returned for us where he dropped us.

Belize: one of are all time favorite ports, awesome locals, wandered into town, gotta get out of the over-priced tourism village. Ate local food at Neries, hit the museum, church, visited a school, sat with locals on their porch chatting, bought some rum and hot sauce in town.

Roatan: so pretty, hilly and lush. Hired a guide, again got a 6 pack and some baleadas and cruised around in the hills, avoiding the over-crowded West end beaches. Visited an orphanage for awhile, donated some school supplies, bought local coffee from the mainland, hiked a bit to some overlooks. No ziplines, caged monkeys or groomed beaches required :)

I like your sense of adventure (and generosity). I'm planning a mountain bike rental in Cozumel this time around, and heading off into nowhere. There are nice trails/gravel roads north of town, far from traffic and noise and tourists -- although not much in the way of mountains.

I definitely agree with you on Belize. It is one of my all-time favorites as well. I'm considering a week vacation there. It's rough in some places, but I've met the most interesting folks there. For people who are frightened of Belize, the trick to safely navigating other countries is to use your head, and try not to leave the locals with the impression that Americans are either jerks or half-wits! Do a little research ahead of time, or let a taxi guide you around.

Has anyone been over the Christmas holiday this route? We are going to all the same places except hitting Costa Maya instead of Belize.

We will be there in Cozumel on Christmas Eve day and there will be 6 ships in port. I was wondering about taxi availability and places closed due to the holiday. Do the holidays ever pose problems?

We have been to these ports several times. I have several reviews listed in my signature line.

In Belize-we have done cave tubing with .bz twice now and loved it (just a different type of experience than what you'll get in the other ports. We have also done Bannister Island-it is full of starfish.

In Roatan-I highly recommend Maya Key. Awesome little island, animals and AWESOME snorkeling. Another island that is just heaven on earth, you could go to Little French Key.

Cozumel-we have been to Chankanaab twice and loved it. We tried Nachi Cocom-didn't care for it. Tried Playa Mia-loved it and there's a lot to do there.

• 2 weeks later...

progress.gif

This itinerary is much different than the eastern and southern itineraries but very nice and with excellent land tour and snorkeling/diving opportunities. Not sure what you’re interested in, but it’s obvious from reading the responses that everyone has different thoughts on each destination and each one is great.

We stay south of Playa Del Carmen on the Yucatan (where the ferry is for Cozumel) and we’ve visited Cozumel several times from there as well as on cruises. We’ve rented a car and toured the west, south, and wilder east coast and that was a great day. Beautiful island when you get away from the more populated and AL beach clubs. For a more relaxed day there are also a few gorgeous beaches with few people but with drinks and massages if you ask a driver to take you beyond the beach clubs closer to the dock. And we enjoy walking uphill in San Miguel to experience the restaurants the locals eat at.

Roatan is by far the nicest island on this itinerary (In our humble opinion, at least ;), and I know one earlier post recommended avoiding the west section but it is so beautiful that would really be a shame. We pre-book a private driver for a personal tour (not a group tour through the larger operators) and take a tour of the east side then head to West End. There are several like Theris Tours, Roni, and At Your Service has more amenities like cold drinks, wify, call home, and nice vehhicles. Prices range from $25 – 40pp depending on the number in your party and the service you choose. If you’re one couple invite another couple you’re dining with whose company you enjoy if they don’t have plans.

WE is a neat, funky bay with shops and dive centers and bars (and an amazing cigar bar) and we buy Lencan pottery there and just walk the bay. We then take a water taxi to West Bay (the driver meets you in WB) and enjoy the beautiful beach and a nice lunch at the Thirsty Turtle or another spot. West Bay is a mile long or so and there are several resorts and hotels there. You may be able to visit the monkeys and birds at Gumbalimba if time allows. This is a touristy option but the reason others go there is for the beauty.

In Belize we enjoyed the Goff’s Caye excursion, gorgeous beach and although we’re not big snorkelers the group raved about that. There are other excursions like the shark & ray swim off Caye Caulker, and the excursion to Water Caye and Rendezvous Caye. And of course the cave tubing, zoo, and ruins excursions. We’re just taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker and enjoying the day there.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Through the Carnival Legend do you know what the difference between the Barrier Reef Snorkeling and Island beach break and just the Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef? I have someone coming who does not want to snorkel. They just want to sit on the beach. Do either one come with beach chairs? Any suggestions would be great!