whale watching and rain camera tips?

skrapngal

so I know rain is an issue in Alaska. But for a scrapbooker like me, a BIG part of my Alaskan cruise will be the pics I will be taking.

How can I take my 20 zoom camera with me in the rain and on a small boat (Harv & Marv) whale watching excursion without ruining the camera? Waterproof disposables are really not an option :(

The only issue is to make sure the camera is the same temp as the outside--or you will get condensation.

I've never worried about condensation during the summer, it occurs bringing a cold object into a warmer humid environment.

The other seasons when outside temp is significantly different inside, put your camera into a plastic bag before coming inside. Any moisture will condense on the outside of bag until it comes to room temp.

Edited by bottom-dragger

Check to see if there is a rain sleeve for your camera. If not, you can make one out of a baggie or freezer bag. There is DIY info on how to make one online. I always carry one in my backpack. They’re light and take up very little room.

Consider another tour provider who has a boat better suited to your needs/wishes. We've done whale watches with Gastineau Guiding, and all of their boats have windows that swing in/up. Plenty of open vistas to photograph through while remaining under cover. We're heading back to them next time because of their boats (and guides).

so I know rain is an issue in Alaska. But for a scrapbooker like me, a BIG part of my Alaskan cruise will be the pics I will be taking.

How can I take my 20 zoom camera with me in the rain and on a small boat (Harv & Marv) whale watching excursion without ruining the camera? Waterproof disposables are really not an option :(

Having done 5 Alaska cruises, the only time I've ever had an issue is when I change lenses, (I switch sometimes between three lenses). If you can find a sheltered area then you'll have no problem. Only once have I had rain on a tour, then I used my clear poncho and changed the lens under it.

Consider another tour provider who has a boat better suited to your needs/wishes. We've done whale watches with Gastineau Guiding, and all of their boats have windows that swing in/up. Plenty of open vistas to photograph through while remaining under cover. We're heading back to them next time because of their boats (and guides).

Thank you. Very reassuring. I'll be taking their 5 hour photo safari in Juneau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Even on Harv and Marv's small boats, there is plenty of sheltered space:

9191360185_5be6d9b351_c.jpg

DSC_0328 by suegee57, on Flickr

It was an amazing experience:

9191378309_6c2595eab0_c.jpg

IMG_0684 by suegee57, on Flickr

9194193120_ba50763543_c.jpg

IMG_0685 by suegee57, on Flickr

9194208888_b7f9730b13_c.jpg

DSC_0494 by suegee57, on Flickr

9194225808_d3d7fe6426_c.jpg

IMG_0708 by suegee57, on Flickr

Hope to see whales like this when we go in August with them. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'll second what others have said. Rain sleeve is handy to have. Harv & Marv was great and no problem with camera. Was able to open windows for better shots, when it was wet outside. I would return just to go on another trip out to see the whales, with Harv and Marv. Very pleased with out whale watching trip!