Sea Sickness

runner15km

On my last cruise the seas were a little bumpy, some passengers vomited in the MDR and near the elevators.

I am fortunate that I never got sea sick but why do adults vomit in public places ? Do you not feel a little upset before vomiting or does it come on so quickly that you do not have time to reach a bathroom? :eek:

On my last cruise the seas were a little bumpy, some passengers vomited in the MDR and near the elevators.

I am fortunate that I never got sea sick but why do adults vomit in public places ? Do you not feel a little upset before vomiting or does it come on so quickly that you do not have time to reach a bathroom? :eek:

In all fairness to the adults who became sick...we were on a cruise where half of the staff weresick due to very rough seas and our waiter didn't make it past the restaurant doors. Yes, apparently it can come on very quickly. I find laying in bed and not fighting the movement is the best bet fro not getting seasick. Hubby sat and played poker all night and was just fine...go figure!

Yeah, in front of the elevators is a hot spot for upchucking. :p

I did not realize that the event came on so quickly.

My wife is prone to car sickness so in her purse she carries a plastic lined paper bag. So folks if you get seasickness carry a bag, please. :)

Yes it can come on amazingly quickly. Or you can feel queasy for days but never sick enough to throw up and it goes from queasy to "too late" in about 20 seconds.

My wife is prone to car sickness so in her purse she carries a plastic lined paper bag. So folks if you get seasickness carry a bag, please.

But some people are new to cruising and sea sickness doesn't always hit people consistently. My ex and I used to sail on a smallish sail boat every year. He never got seasick... until one trip he did. We had no idea why it suddenly hit him.

It is good advice to carry a bag - but if people throw up in public odds are they didn't wait around and plan it that way. Odds are they are more miserable and embarrassed doing it than you are watching.

I am one that is prone to sea sickness. I (fortunately) have not gotten to the point of actually *throwing up* - but I sure feel mighty close sometimes. (on our first cruise on the Spirit, rough seas due to a hurricane) It is a horrible sensation. I now use the patch and have no issues other than dry mouth! (but as above poster, the only way to deal with it was to lay down, dark room and just go with it...looking at the horizon made it much worse for me). I still LOVE cruising, I am just pro active about dealing with the motion sickness! I feel badly for those who have to get sick. :(

also remember that many people if 'on the edge' will move on to 'lost control' if they see/smell someone else .... it can be sort of a chair reaction.

On my last ship we didn't usually have a problem. But one trip we had 30 cadets with us and on the first day when we departed San Fran' Bay it was snotty outside the bridge. Once the first cadet went down, about half of them followed quickly which also tipped the scales for regular crew who would feel it the first day but could usually control it. The inside of the ship was ..... well, u get the idea.

Those cadets had all been given new ship's ball caps on arrival and a large number of them ended up buying new ones the first time the ship's store opened the next day; theirs had been used for an alternate function . . .

My wife is prone to car sickness so in her purse she carries a plastic lined paper bag. So folks if you get seasickness carry a bag, please. :)

As a person who gets seasick standing on a dock, I can assure you that none of us want the humiliation that comes with vomiting in public. If your wife can manage to get that bag out and open in time then she is lucky.

I have learned to always use medical precautions and haven't thrown up except in a car for several years. Seasickness is not fun. It doesn't go away after you vomit. A bit of understanding would be nice.

Yes, it can come quickly, and beyond control, like morning sickness if you were pregnant, or an embarrassing burp after a beer.

Those cadets had all been given new ship's ball caps on arrival and a large number of them ended up buying new ones the first time the ship's store opened the next day; theirs had been used for an alternate function . . .

:D :D I am a sea sickness sufferer, but this made me laugh.

We have been fortunate that we have not yet gotten hit by sea sickness.

But certainly have seen people jump out of their chairs and try to get out of the dining room.

HAL usually puts out containers of sea sickness bags by the elevators.

A number of years ago there was a captain on HAL who was prone to sea sickness.