Anyone taken northern France cruise?

alexandra cruiser

Looking at Scenic,and a few others.Took Southern France cruise with Avalon,but now prefer ones with regular balcony,not just French.So that sort of limits choice.

Did a few ports,like Rouen,by bus..but wonder how you like this cruise,in general.

Will be taking first Scenic cruise in June,know they sell out WELL in advance.So starting to look for next yrs.already.;)

Most river cruise companies have a northern France river cruise, i.e. Paris to Normandy. I traveled on GCT's 10 day river cruise last July and thoroughly enjoyed it. They have regular balconies but their boats do not suit everyone....drop down Pullman type beds and older ships. Take a look at GCT, Vantage, AMA, Uniworld, and Viking also. Most all have regular balconies.

Edited by rogerdawhip

We took the Grand Circle Cruise The Seine: Paris to Normandy in the spring of 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. One very major plus to their itinerary was that it went all the way to Honfleur at the mouth of the Seine. Honfleur is a combination of a commercial fishing town, a pleasure boating center and an artist colony, all set in a charming small French town. We spent 3 nights there, docked right in the center of town. The town had many restaurants and a charming farmers market. It is also closer to the invasion beaches than Rouen. Many other cruise lines stop at Rouen and return to Paris, cruising the same stretch of river that you cruised from Paris. With Grand Circle you are bused back to Paris, about half a day, and the next cruise sails back. There is less sailing time and more time in towns. Other than Honfleur and Caudebec, a town between Rouen and Honfleur, and the one way cruise, vs. a round trip, most of the itineraries are very similar. I did a blog style trip report on our trip. It is at http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

loved the blog and pics.Also ,did a bus tour of area and saw much of same sites.But river cruise seems to focus more on port towns.

Re.cruise ship.Will have to pass on GCT,Vantage due to not allowing TA s and we prefer to use one.Also, the beds would be a turn off.Like a little more luxury.

May focus on AMA, Scenic or Uniworld.

Need to do more research,And hopefully read more reviews and posts here.;)

Haven't been to this area on a river cruise yet. It is on my to do list, probably withAMA as we have been pleased with them.

Have been to Honfleur on an ocean cruise with regent, and it is very special. Would go back in an instant.

loved the blog and pics.Also ,did a bus tour of area and saw much of same sites.But river cruise seems to focus more on port towns.

Re.cruise ship.Will have to pass on GCT,Vantage due to not allowing TA s and we prefer to use one.Also, the beds would be a turn off.Like a little more luxury.

May focus on AMA, Scenic or Uniworld.

Need to do more research,And hopefully read more reviews and posts here.;)

Earlier this year when we were planning/researching our French Cruise we looked at both the Seine and Rhone itineraries. We thought the Seine itinerary to the Normandy coast was good but we eventually booked on a Tauck cruise on the Rhone. Next year will be Tauck's first year on the Seine. Have you looked at their itineraries?

Edited by Ozjohnno

just French, Did I miss one? After trying one of the longships on AMA,and having one booked on Scenic,,,think I d like to use one that has THAT again.LOVED it,made small rooms seem so much bigger with lots of light and air,plus great views. So doing better,am nailing it down.

Anyone do either of these two?:confused:

just French, Did I miss one? After trying one of the longships on AMA,and having one booked on Scenic,,,think I d like to use one that has THAT again.LOVED it,made small rooms seem so much bigger with lots of light and air,plus great views. So doing better,am nailing it down.

Anyone do either of these two?:confused:

Why don't you have your TA do the legwork for you. They should have all the information at their fingertips.

take care of the rest.Need to know ALL the details FIRST, have used MANY different TAs and never find everything I want to know.

Basically use it for the cash refund.Even book own air,I know,but Im happier doing it this way.Sort of a hobby now,get LOTS of info here on CC that TA never heard about.PS.,do own insurance too.Guess I m somewhat of a control freak,I know.:o

I believe that Scenic have one of their space ships on the Rhone but I don't think they have one doing the Seine. As the RC companies tend to put their older boats in France I would think that Scenic would be the only company offering full balconies.

Scenic have a new boat for the Seine in 2014. It is smaller than their other river boats. Will only be taking 128 passengers.

We have booked for the 6th October, 2014.

and now ALL BOOKED UP for 2014.So now will have to wait till 2015,it seems.Do let us know how you like this one.As said,taking my first Scenic one in June 2014.Booked 1 yr in advance,but wanted jr.suite and just thought THAT was booked so far in advance,amazed ALL cabins booked.

Wish they d offer MORE cruises.As said,other companies are doing route,but this is ONLY one with balcony.;)

We took the Grand Circle Cruise The Seine: Paris to Normandy in the spring of 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. One very major plus to their itinerary was that it went all the way to Honfleur at the mouth of the Seine. Honfleur is a combination of a commercial fishing town, a pleasure boating center and an artist colony, all set in a charming small French town. We spent 3 nights there, docked right in the center of town. The town had many restaurants and a charming farmers market. It is also closer to the invasion beaches than Rouen. Many other cruise lines stop at Rouen and return to Paris, cruising the same stretch of river that you cruised from Paris. With Grand Circle you are bused back to Paris, about half a day, and the next cruise sails back. There is less sailing time and more time in towns. Other than Honfleur and Caudebec, a town between Rouen and Honfleur, and the one way cruise, vs. a round trip, most of the itineraries are very similar. I did a blog style trip report on our trip. It is at http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

The itinerary and trip sound wonderful, and your photos are great. I was looking at the Grand Circle web site, and they show the following image under M/S Bizet. Is that really what the cabin is like when the beds are up? (My spouse said it looks like a railroad car!)

GCTBizetcabin_zpse6f0e0f3.jpg

and now ALL BOOKED UP for 2014.So now will have to wait till 2015,it seems.Do let us know how you like this one.As said,taking my first Scenic one in June 2014.Booked 1 yr in advance,but wanted jr.suite and just thought THAT was booked so far in advance,amazed ALL cabins booked.

Wish they d offer MORE cruises.As said,other companies are doing route,but this is ONLY one with balcony.;)

Are you only interested in a Junior Suite? There is one available on 16th September sailing according to the website.

Turtles06,

Yes, that is an accurate picture of the day configuration of the cabin. This is a lower deck cabin. On the upper deck, there are sliders and a small balcony, with 2 chairs and a small table. Very little waking time is generally spent in the cabin. The lounge has comfortable seating with panoramic views and there is a large sundeck. Each will hold all of the passengers. You usually have a full day with little time to be in the cabin, unless you just need a rest or are actually sleeping. While you are at dinner, the beds are made up.

Edited by beverlyjack

Are you only interested in a Junior Suite? There is one available on 16th September sailing according to the website.

but realize I ll HAVE to wait till 2015 for a July sailing.

Have a June 2014 already booked.Trying to figure how far in advance to book that since 2014 July already sold out.My TA is working on it,not even sure when that scedule comes.out.

Re.the photo of GCT boat,THATS why I m NOT TAKING it.Looks very small and uncomfortable.Would rather PAY more and GET more.Between that and the NO TA thing,no way.Had bad BBB reviews for customer service in past,I always check.;)

Well, I'm leaving in 3 days to sail on the very GCT ship that BeverlyJack pictured, and could not care less about how the room looks or how small...have sailed with Uniworld twice in nicer cabins (and loved them) but we spend so little time in the room that I could not care less about the size or how it looks. GCT also has 50 passenger ships with full balconies. We all look for something different...how great it is we can find what we want! And GCT/OAT trips are filled with folks who are happy with the product and return again and again.

Had bad BBB reviews for customer service in past,I always check.;)

You should check further. GCT has an A+ BBB rating. The site shows 58 closed complaints in the last three years. My quick calculations show GCT has approximately 23,00+ passengers a year on their European river boats. To me, that is a pretty good ratio.

You should check further. GCT has an A+ BBB rating. The site shows 58 closed complaints in the last three years. My quick calculations show GCT has approximately 23,00+ passengers a year on their European river boats. To me, that is a pretty good ratio.

I checked company out 2 yrs ago, and not since then.

Also, my TA said that GCT does not deal with TAs,and that made me uncomfortable.Like the help and cash back from them.

Thank heavens,there are many companies to chose from,one that fits every taste and budget.Pleased you ve been happy with them.:)

Edited by alexandra cruiser