HELP! Hotel I booked has bed bugs.

familyfun4

Can someone tell me what areas of FLL (street name would help) to stay away from due to being a sketchy area?

I had booked HOmewood Suites in Dania Beach, now I will cancel that, have to start our hotel search all over again.

Thank you.

Can someone tell me what areas of FLL (street name would help) to stay away from due to being a sketchy area?

I had booked HOmewood Suites in Dania Beach, now I will cancel that, have to start our hotel search all over again.

Thank you.

i would try for the 17th st area........Embassy Suites seems to be one of the favorites but there are several chains in the area and they are all fine

Edited by GTO-Girl

Thank you.

How do you know that it has bed bugs?

A current post on trip advisor dot com. I can't knowingly go and stay there now.

I am in the hotel business, and just know that the cry of "Bedbugs"!! is the number one most commonly manufactured complaint people use to get refunds or money back.

The industry is keenly aware of the issue, especially in an international area like Ft Lauderdale. Any decent lodging facility (like a Hilton product, which Homewood is) takes constant measures to prevent / find / eradicate bed bugs if they are spotted by the housekeeping staff.

Not saying the TripAdvisor poster did not see or think they saw bedbugs, just saying maybe don't panic. Just be aware, and just like ship reviews, be skeptical of TA reviews.

Embassy Suites gets them, the Ritz Carlton gets them, and cruise ships get them.

I am in the hotel business, and just know that the cry of "Bedbugs"!! is the number one most commonly manufactured complaint people use to get refunds or money back.

The industry is keenly aware of the issue, especially in an international area like Ft Lauderdale. Any decent lodging facility (like a Hilton product, which Homewood is) takes constant measures to prevent / find / eradicate bed bugs if they are spotted by the housekeeping staff.

Not saying the TripAdvisor poster did not see or think they saw bedbugs, just saying maybe don't panic. Just be aware, and just like ship reviews, be skeptical of TA reviews.

Embassy Suites gets them, the Ritz Carlton gets them, and cruise ships get them.

Yes, I am aware of what lengths people will go to get refunded...but it looks legit from the post and reply from the hotel. I work for a housing authority and this is an issue I know too well. I know it's not easy to erradicate them and most cost effective measures landlords and hotels take do not solve the problem. I do know that we can be exposed anywhere and we really give a room close and careful inspection before staying there and will do so on the ship also. It's just not easy for us to think 'well, in a few months they won't be there", because they will :( If I hear that NCL Sky has them, I will cancel them too. It's a shame we all have to be fearful of this everywhere nowadays, it's become an epidemic.

Yep, they can show up anywhere, anytime as they can show up on anybody from anywhere. We had friends go to Disney and found them. You KNOW Disney does everything possible to prevent/find/eradicate them. But, people still transport them. Now if there were multiple post about the same place over and over, I would think they weren't doing enough.

We have a reservation for Homewood for this weekend and we have no plans to cancel it. I read the review you are referring to on TA and I have to say that I do not put much faith in a review from someone who travels as heavily as that poster claims, but only has 2 reviews on TA. I just don't rely on the negative reviewers. I rely on the ones that post the good and the bad, not just 2 reviews.

Lots of epidemics around now days......do you go out to any public place when we have flu outbreaks? Just curious ;)

If you want a better neighborhood, stay on 17th St, or at Riverside Hotel, Gallery One Doubletree, or almost anything at the beach. Beyond that, if you find another hotel and post it's name and address we can tell you if it is in a sketchy neighborhood. Unfortunately, you can pick the best neighborhood and the person in your room before you can bring in bedbugs.

Thank you.

Sketchy area? Dania Beach is not a sketchy area.

Try the Riverside Hotel.

I caught a live bedbug in my bed at a Marriott branded hotel in the Boston area and the hotel was nonchalant about it, and even tried to get my review taken off trip advisor. I had caught the bug and taken it to the front desk even! It was handled very poorly and makes me think they have a problem they aren't willing to admit to. I had stayed at that hotel a dozen times that year, and had written a positive review in the past. So no, it's not just about trying to scam something, and no, the industry is not being as proactive as you claim.

I spent over 100 nights in hotels last year, and my reviews ranged from excellent to terrible. Even when it was terrible and the manager responded with offers of comps, I said no. It's not about the money, but rather protecting other travelers. I try to write balanced reviews, and don't ding a Hampton for not having the same amenities as a Conrad for example. I offer constructive criticism so the hotel can Improve, unless the situation is just terminal, such as that bed bug incident. Had it been appropriately managed, I wouldn't have written the review.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Thank you.

And you think that after a complaint, like you refer to, that the situation hasn't been and isn't being addressed now? I think I would actually feel "safer" where the issue has been brought up on TA. The hotel will make a big time effort to undo the bad PR. As others have stated, anyone at any hotel can bring in the little rascals. Did you know you can pick up "kits" that will help you identify the problem before you lie in the bed? Dania is not an area the specifically you would need to be afraid of.

Edited by eandj

And you think that after a complaint, like you refer to, that the situation hasn't been and isn't being addressed now? I think I would actually feel "safer" where the issue has been brought up on TA. The hotel will make a big time effort to undo the bad PR. As others have stated, anyone at any hotel can bring in the little rascals. Did you know you can pick up "kits" that will help you identify the problem before you lie in the bed? Dania is not an area the specifically you would need to be afraid of.

I disagree. As per my previous post, not all hotels--even good national ones--take this problem seriously. The one I dealt with was in denial and claimed that they didn't have a bed bug problem, even after the live evidence was presented by a frequent guest.

I just read the review what is odd is that they stayed there 3 nights but was only bitten on the last night

Wonder if they left the hotel & got bites someplace else ...sand fleas maybe

It just seems odd that no one has reported a bed bug problem there

I found two things interesting re the review on Trip advisor...

A. The guest did not report the bites to anyone before checking out, Tough to prove/deal with "after the fact".

B. I love this comment from the reviewer....:rolleyes::eek:

"only later did I realize this is the hotel where all the cruise passengers stay and it makes sense that they would have bed bugs"

I'm not defending hotels that aren't clean, just finding the one review post re bugs at this hotel rather interesting.

I found two things interesting re the review on Trip advisor...

A. The guest did not report the bites to anyone before checking out, Tough to prove/deal with "after the fact".

B. I love this comment from the reviewer....:rolleyes::eek:

"only later did I realize this is the hotel where all the cruise passengers stay and it makes sense that they would have bed bugs"

I'm not defending hotels that aren't clean, just finding the one review post re bugs at this hotel rather interesting.

I had the only bedbug review at the hotel where I found a live one in my bed. That said, I was contacted by several others who also had been bitten there, but hadn't written reviews.

I disagree. As per my previous post, not all hotels--even good national ones--take this problem seriously. The one I dealt with was in denial and claimed that they didn't have a bed bug problem, even after the live evidence was presented by a frequent guest.

No hotels are truly national. Hotel groups fly the hotel flag they want to fly.

Holiday Inn isn't owned by Holiday Inn, Marriott isn't owned by Marriott, etc.

No hotels are truly national. Hotel groups fly the hotel flag they want to fly.

Holiday Inn isn't owned by Holiday Inn, Marriott isn't owned by Marriott, etc.

Actually there are both franchise and corporate owned locations for most major hotel groups. So yes, they can most certainly be national.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You are missing my point.

The Holiday Inn brand is owned by IHC, the Marriott brand is owned by Marriott International, Inc. The reality is that they have standards to uphold throughout the flagged properties, and those standards are not being upheld uniformly in some cases.

Hotel name is Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port and it didn't dawn on them cruise passengers might be staying there until later ?

That tells me all I need to know about that reviewer. :rolleyes: