How I early can I fly out of FLL after disembarking in Miami?

Patrona

I am set to disembark off of the Liberty on April 5 in Miami. I need to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale as early as possible.

Just wondering if any of you expert cruisers could tell me how early I could get off the boat in Miami and how much time I should plan to get back to FLL?

Sent from my iPhone

If you can manage to do priority self assist to debark the ship you can be in a cab and on your way to the airport by 8ish...........IF everything goes right........That would put you at FLL by about 8:45..........

If you are using a carrier that allows you to check in online and curb check your bags, then it wouldn't be too much of a risk to book an 11am flight or maybe even a 10:30 flight.........again if things go right....

I wouldn't do before noon. The ship could come in late due to weather. You never know. If you do book an early flight buy travel insurance. Best way to do it. But now if you are on a flight at 4 do not go to Airport early Fort Lauder dale will not let down by the gates til 2 hours before your flight. They have no room for people. You will end up sitting on the floor in the ticketing area.

as others have posted 12:00 is the safest bet.

My last trip in Sept on the Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) I did self-assist and had pre-booked transport with SAS. They were waiting for me and I literally ran out of the door into the van. We were AT FLL from MIA by 8:40am! :eek:

My suggestion if you do want to chance an earlier flight before 12 is to

1- Take a TAXI or a Private transport service. Let them now for sure it is an EARLY flight and I would even try to call them as soon as you have cell service so they know you are waiting for the doors to open..

If you book the Carnival transport, that first bus will not leave until it is FULL! So you may be off the ship and out of the terminal at 8:00am but the bus will sit there until full.

2- Do your online check-in on your phone and if possible try to print your boarding pass in the port prior (such as if you are in Key West)

3- Be up early and ready to leave AS SOON AS THE doors open. In the morning once the ship doors open they are almost pushing you off the ship so they can turn it around faster.

I have never had any issues with SAS. Honestly, I was shocked how early we arrived in FLL. You should factor in the DAY of the week and take into consideration rush hour traffic and/or delays with debarkation. I do some solo cruises and know the MIA port and both MIA & FLL airport pretty well so I can go in and out swiftly without trying to figure out where everything is. If you have multiple travelers you can most certainly add a couple more minutes to everything (loading, unloading, walking etc)

Good Luck & speedy travels :)

Edited by wiskt

Just another thing to think about. You can book an early flight on southwest and with their cancelation options, you can just cancel 30 minutes before the flight is supposed to take off and still get credit back if you aren't going to make it. Then you can rebook another flight for later that day. So, if you are flying Southwest, there is almost no risk to booking an early flight.

Remember to not complete the southwest flight check-in until you are positive you are going to make the flight. Once you check-in, it becomes non-refundable.

Just another thing to think about. You can book an early flight on southwest and with their cancelation options, you can just cancel 30 minutes before the flight is supposed to take off and still get credit back if you aren't going to make it. Then you can rebook another flight for later that day. So, if you are flying Southwest, there is almost no risk to booking an early flight.

Remember to not complete the southwest flight check-in until you are positive you are going to make the flight. Once you check-in, it becomes non-refundable.

Ah, yes there is a risk. What if the later flights that day are sold out? What if a later flight is cancelled? What are Southwest's change fees? I would consider those to be risks in your suggestion.

Southwest has no change fees. Gotta love it!

No change fees but most likely there will be a hefty difference in fare fee. Buying a same day ticket will mean that the most expensive fare will be charged, completely defeating the purpose of flying on Southwest.

To the OP, confirm the later flight and, if you make it to the airport early enough, standby on an earlier flight. Some airlines allow you to do same-day standby for free while others charge you a fee (usually $50-$75) but at least you'll have the peace of mind that you have a confirmed flight at a safe time, instead of wondering if you'll make it.

We've done early standby coming from Miami. It was tight (running through the airport with just carry-ons) but we made a 9:45am flight from FLL.

Edited by Tapi

I am set to disembark off of the Liberty on April 5 in Miami. I need to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale as early as possible.

Just wondering if any of you expert cruisers could tell me how early I could get off the boat in Miami and how much time I should plan to get back to FLL?

Sent from my iPhone

We just did an 11:45 last Saturday. The problem is the TSA line at FLL, it's brutal! Arrange transportation with Howard's Taxi Service. He'll get you there on time for $15 pp.

We got off the Breeze in Miami, in April, and were at the FLL airport at 9. Our flight wasn't until 5. Went up to the counter to try and get an earlier flight home, to no avail. It was spring vacation week for the Northeast. We sat in that airport from 9-5. We couldn't even check our luggage until 1:30.:mad::mad::mad: We did do self disembarkation. Not sure why. Could have spent at least another hour or so on the ship. Won't do that again.....longest, most depressing day of my life.

AnyWHOOOOOOOOOOOO, there is a LOT that can happen, but if all goes as planned, you could fly out at 10-11. Just may be a tad risky. Good luck!!!!:D

No change fees but most likely there will be a hefty difference in fare fee. Buying a same day ticket will mean that the most expensive fare will be charged, completely defeating the purpose of flying on Southwest.

To the OP, confirm the later flight and, if you make it to the airport early enough, standby on an earlier flight. Some airlines allow you to do same-day standby for free while others charge you a fee (usually $50-$75) but at least you'll have the peace of mind that you have a confirmed flight at a safe time, instead of wondering if you'll make it.

We've done early standby coming from Miami. It was tight (running through the airport with just carry-ons) but we made a 9:45am flight from FLL.

Ok, so no change fee's but Tapi you hit the nail on the head on if there is a difference in fare. I agree with you completely. :)

The earliest I have read on this board is 7am flight. They made it. Maybe you will get lucky. I would not recommend it but they claim they made it with time to spare.

They were first in line to get off, no line at customs, carried their own luggage, FAST driver, no traffic, got to airport and no other passengers. zoomed through security and at the gate in time for the flight.

I would have been frazzled, but what the heck, that is the soonest I would go for.

Personally, I would not book until after noon, but there is always good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone

How is your temperment for stress? Hear of Murphy's Law?

If it is really important for you to get out of Ft L as early as possible, don't risk any delays. Set your flight for 11:30 or later and you'll make your flight. If you miss an earlier booked flight, you risk not getting out of FL till the next day. Most flights fly full. Not as easy rebooking a later flight as in the "old days". In your case, I'd go for the sure thing...and little stress.

The earliest I have read on this board is 7am flight. They made it. Maybe you will get lucky. I would not recommend it but they claim they made it with time to spare.

Personally, I would not book until after noon, but there is always good fortune.

From POM to FLL???? No way.

Edited by eandj

They were first in line to get off, no line at customs, carried their own luggage, FAST driver, no traffic, got to airport and no other passengers. zoomed through security and at the gate in time for the flight.

I would have been frazzled, but what the heck, that is the soonest I would go for.

No way from POM!

Impossible.

There is no way this is possible without using a helicopter to get from POM to FLL.

To the OP; noon.

For POM to FLL, I highly doubt this is possible. It takes 35-40 minutes doing the speed limit. I seriously doubt the driver was going that fast as the speeds would have been far in excess of the speed limit.:eek:

I call shenanigans on this being possible or accomplished.

Edited by Eng23