Snorkelling Equipment Advice

Eager2Explore

It's our first time going on a cruise and we also plan to snorkel . Most ppl recommend purchasing the snorkelling equipment. Should I order from amazon or is their a store in Orlando you can recommend? Also, are their certain brands you can recommend and also share some brands I should avoid like a plague! I am not sure how much use I will get from the equipment after this trip. I am looking to buy snorkelling equipment for myself and my 7 year old.

Thanks for your help!

M.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-dive/orlando-dive-shops/

divers direct has a store in orlando and has a larger than average selection of reasonably priced equipment. You can also review their stuff on line to get an idea but i would recommend to buy in the store so you can try different items. Fit matters.

what he said!!!:)

It's our first time going on a cruise and we also plan to snorkel . Most ppl recommend purchasing the snorkelling equipment. Should I order from amazon or is their a store in Orlando you can recommend? Also, are their certain brands you can recommend and also share some brands I should avoid like a plague! I am not sure how much use I will get from the equipment after this trip. I am looking to buy snorkelling equipment for myself and my 7 year old.

Thanks for your help!

M.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Suggestions -

For an adult - A mask with two eye lenses which give the option to fit prescription lenses (your eyesight may change over time), plus a "Dry" snorkel (save attempting to drink the ocean/sea).

For a child - Get the professional in store to assist with the fitting and purchase, plus a "Dry" snorkel (save attempting to drink the ocean/sea).

Definitely agree with a dry snorkel and getting your own equipment. Also, they do fit differently. We went to a local shop and after trying in the pool the mask leaked every time. Store readily took it back and we ordered US divers with the short fins.

Another hint is that the short fins are better to travel with. I think they lack a little in propulsion but not much. Most sets comes with a bag.

You might also consider your own snorkel vest. My 2DD's and I have our own because we feel more secure. They deflate easily to dive down. DH however prefers to snorkel without one.

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/

bought the combo several trips ago for my son and I. very satisfied. my mask is prescription as well. definitely get a vest. it allows me to stay in the water longer without getting so tired. its a snap to deflate for diving. i spent an hour on the reef in Roatan a month ago. after a rest i got in another hour. without the vest i would have been blown.

• 2 weeks later...

Divers Direct has big stores and lots of selection. Their own brand is of course cheaper, while other brands they carry are ok priced.

If buying snorkel vest, get the ones with crotch strap. Makes a big difference.

For beginners, consider using a noodle. My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable, knowing she shouldn't sink. You can buy a long noodle for $2, then cut in half to carry in your luggage.

For beginners, consider using a noodle. My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable

I have a hard time controlling my emotions as to how WRONG this post is.

As a life long life guard (45 years????) I gag ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

For beginners, consider using a noodle. My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable

I have a hard time controlling my emotions as to how WRONG this post is.

As a life long life guard (45 years????) I gag ....

What do you suggest then?

My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable

Up front I'll say I'm HARD on this topic ... if you can live with this .. read on ...

If one can not swim and KNOWS this and goes into water deeper than their ankles they are stupid. If a family member encourages this, they are EXTRA stupid.

Floatation devices are not a substitute for knowing how to swim.

If you or a loved one die while doing this I'll mourn your loss and attribute it to stupidity or ignorance ... as I have SO MANY times b4.

as I said ... I was a life guard for over 40 years ... I can not begin to tell you the amazing stories I've heard about 'how I got here'

OK .... one example

person in the water south of Cuba with a hurricane approaching, we were alerted to his 'rescue beacon' and by God's good grace were VERY close . . .

WHY are you here???? I asked once we picked the dude up . . .

I left Canada and am trying to set a world record by sailing a 16 foot Hobie Cat around the world ... but it broke up

Edited by Capt_BJ

My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable

Up front I'll say I'm HARD on this topic ... if you can live with this .. read on ...

If one can not swim and KNOWS this and goes into water deeper than their ankles they are stupid. If a family member encourages this, they are EXTRA stupid.

Floatation devices are not a substitute for knowing how to swim.

If you or a loved one die while doing this I'll mourn your loss and attribute it to stupidity or ignorance ... as I have SO MANY times b4.

as I said ... I was a life guard for over 40 years ... I can not begin to tell you the amazing stories I've heard about 'how I got here'

OK .... one example

person in the water south of Cuba with a hurricane approaching, we were alerted to his 'rescue beacon' and by God's good grace were VERY close . . .

WHY are you here???? I asked once we picked the dude up . . .

I left Canada and am trying to set a world record by sailing a 16 foot Hobie Cat around the world ... but it broke up

My wife is stupid according to you. I'm the one you say is "EXTRA stupid".

Guess you want non-swimmers to NEVER learn to swim.

Any non-swimmers that try to snorkel, with vest, in calm water, with lifeguard beside them, are still stupid according to you.

You also want ALL tour operators offering snorkeling tours to go out of business, because a lot of their customers are actually non-swimmers. Even though they have impeccable safety records, you don't agree with snorkelers going into water.

There are lots of ops that take people to go into Stingray Sandbar, in Grand Cayman, to be around stingrays. They're in waist to chest deep water. According to you, they are all stupid. Family members that encourage that, are EXTRA stupid, according to you.

Guess you like to feel superior, putting people down, calling lots and lots of people stupid.

It is very important to know how to swim not just be able to float, if you intend to snorkel current, waves and tide and come up pretty quick. I was down in Bonaire years ago and snorkeling and the tide shifted pushing us out to see we had to swim at a slight angle towards shore to avoid the current without fighting it. I don't float well ( too much muscle I guess) but with salt water it is never an issue. Also make sure you bring a long T shirt to cover your back unless you want to get burned.

Go to a shop and try on masks, I have a prominent nose so it took a few masks for me to try one. I would not buy a mask or snorkel mail order unless i was buying the same as what I had before.

It is very important to know how to swim not just be able to float, if you intend to snorkel current, waves and tide and come up pretty quick. I was down in Bonaire years ago and snorkeling and the tide shifted pushing us out to see we had to swim at a slight angle towards shore to avoid the current without fighting it. I don't float well ( too much muscle I guess) but with salt water it is never an issue. Also make sure you bring a long T shirt to cover your back unless you want to get burned.

Go to a shop and try on masks, I have a prominent nose so it took a few masks for me to try one. I would not buy a mask or snorkel mail order unless i was buying the same as what I had before.

I went one step farther and bought a Body Glove rash guard shirt at a local sporting goods store. It has a 50UV rating. It also helps keep the little stingy things at bay.:)

I, too, experienced a sudden change in current while snorkeling at Klein Island. Had to swim against it to get back to the boat.

My children are lifeguards and lifeguard instructor. Glad they have different behaviour than Capt_BJ.

Hopping into the ocean without knowing how to swim... how can you defend such stupid behavior? Just because there are vendors willing to take your money, doesn't make it a smart, or safe, idea.

It seems like your children should be able to teach your wife how to swim... why haven't they? If they really have lifeguard positions, and encourage anyone to enter the water without knowing how to swim, they are also stupid... and should be fired. ;)

Since you're from Toronto, maybe this analogy will make the point: Entering the ocean, without knowing how to swim, just because you have a flotation device, is like driving into the woods in the wintertime, bringing nothing but your underwear, just because your heater works. You'll probably make it home alive, but it is still a stupid idea. In Florida, we don't let our children anywhere near the water... unless they learn how to swim first.

Hopping into the ocean without knowing how to swim... how can you defend such stupid behavior? Just because there are vendors willing to take your money, doesn't make it a smart, or safe, idea.

It seems like your children should be able to teach your wife how to swim... why haven't they? If they really have lifeguard positions, and encourage anyone to enter the water without knowing how to swim, they are also stupid... and should be fired. ;)

Since you're from Toronto, maybe this analogy will make the point: Entering the ocean, without knowing how to swim, just because you have a flotation device, is like driving into the woods in the wintertime, bringing nothing but your underwear, just because your heater works. You'll probably make it home alive, but it is still a stupid idea. In Florida, we don't let our children anywhere near the water... unless they learn how to swim first.

We don't do things unsafe or unreasonable, like you are suggesting. We go on snorkeling tours, when the circumstances are safe, in calm water.

Yes there can tour ops that can be fly by night, and will take your money no matter what. There are also reputable ops, and I do do research before going on trips on that.

We don't just go into open ocean water without any safeguards. My children do NOT encourage anyone who doesn't know how to swim, into open ocean water and send them in harms way, like you are suggesting they may do. Why don't you take a step back, and look at how other people may know what's safe or unsafe, and whether they take necessary precautions or not. Do NOT make assumptions.

Finally my wife did try to learn how to swim. My children did try to teach her. She had paid and taken beginner swim classes several times. She is not very athletic, and unlike others who may learn to swim quickly, she did get to be a swimmer. But she is now ok when wearing snorkel vest, often even with wetsuit under, and holding a noodle in front of her. With me or others who know how to swim besides her, she goes in the water to snorkel, and only in calm water, in safe situations.

To use extreme examples of how other people may be stupid and put themselves in danger, or someone in a hobbie cat rescued in hurricane situation, is trying to twist the situation around just to suit your argument, and putting others down.

My wife is a non-swimmer. When she wears a vest, then holding a noodle in front, it makes her feel so much more comfortable, knowing she shouldn't sink.

There's a reason your wife doesn't feel comfortable in the water... she can't swim! Maybe you should take a step back and realize what you're condoning! Non-swimmers shouldn't go in the ocean... period. It doesn't matter how many flotation devices they have, or how many people are holding their hand. It's a stupid idea and it's irresponsible for you to encourage non-swimmers into the water. Go ahead and tell yourself it's not dangerous, whatever helps you sleep at night, just don't encourage others to follow your stupid lead.

By the way, when the tour guide has to spend the whole trip protecting your wife's life, it spoils the experience for others. :p

There's a reason your wife doesn't feel comfortable in the water... she can't swim! Maybe you should take a step back and realize what you're condoning! Non-swimmers shouldn't go in the ocean... period. It doesn't matter how many flotation devices they have, or how many people are holding their hand. It's a stupid idea and it's irresponsible for you to encourage non-swimmers into the water. Go ahead and tell yourself it's not dangerous, whatever helps you sleep at night, just don't encourage others to follow your stupid lead.

By the way, when the tour guide has to spend the whole trip protecting your wife's life, it spoils the experience for others. :p

The tour guides NEVER had to spend any time with my wife, because my wife is one of those that did not need help. Guess you never being to snorkeling trips where GOOD swimmers have trouble with snorkel or mask, and need help. Just because someone is a swimmer, doesn't mean they can snorkel well and are the ones that don't need help.

In fact, when others see that my wife as a non-swimmer can also snorkel well, it helped them to want to try snorkeling themselves, and opens a whole new world to them, that there is a wonderful world under the sea. They learned from my wife that snorkeling can be enjoyable, even for non-swimmers, as long as you do it in a safe-way, in safe situations.

My wife feels much more comfortable, when she knows she WON'T sink. And before you trying to tell other people they are stupid, you should learn how to read.