Travel Insurance...Necessary Or Not While Pregnant & Cruising?

kbset

This debate has and will go on forever and ever. No matter how many people want to argue why it's not a good investment, or how many people want to argue "better safe than sorry", there is no single right answer.

If you want to make an informed decision, try this:

First, decide WHAT you are trying to obtain coverage for. Are you looking to make sure you're covered for medical care abroad? Are you after medical transport back home if something happens? Are you after cancellation coverage? If so, are you after it in case of certain medical eventualities? Or are you after blanked coverage for any reason?

Second. And this is the step that many here who always get insurance seem to skip. Check with your current health insurance provider and see what kind of coverage you currently have. Most people will be surprised to find they are actually very well covered. However, they usually have to make the payment and then get reimbursed from their insurer. However, this isn't much different than a lot of travel insurance products on the market.

Third, decide what your level of comfort is with regards to risk. As with any investment, travel insurance involves various risks and rewards. And only by looking at your own financial situation and comfort level can you make an educated decision.

Personally, I have chosen to purchase international medical transport coverage (I bought mine through MedJetAssist, but there are others to look at as well). I travel quite a bit, and this covers me any time I'm away from home with regards to getting me back to the medical facility of my choice from anywhere in the world. I paid a one-time fee, and I'm covered for the length of the agreement (the longer the agreement the less per-year, but you pay up front). In addition, I am comfortable covering the interim expenses if I need medical coverage overseas, and am happy to have the quality health insurance I already pay dear for reimburse me.

As for cancellation protection, I consider myself self-insured. I am confident that even if I should be unlucky once and lose the cost of a cruise due to last minute cancellation, I will come out ahead over the long term. In other words, I didn't find this to be a worthwhile part of my investment portfolio.

If, on the other hand, someone has health issues or family circumstances that make the possibility of cancellation a lot higher, or they are personally not comfortable with the potential financial loss, then insurance might be a more appropriate investment.

There is however, NO single right answer. Although people here will argue until they are blue in the face that there is.

I would agree with this. We have never purchased separate insurance for vacations (cruise or otherwise) beyond the "extra travel coverage" that we have had since going on German insurance which extends our normal coverage to more than 6 weeks out of the EU in a year.

Why? Because every year I confirm our coverage and we have always (including for many, many years though many policies in the US) had coverage for foreign care and medical evac even from a ship.

For US, any other unexpected expense would be a hit but not unmanageable (flights home bought at last minute rates, hotels, etc)--so, like you, for us the risk is worth the savings of not buying insurance every time we travel (8 weeks of the year--it would add up fast!). We figure what we have saved over the past 20 years of not buying insurance would cover a pretty big issue, and we would prefer to not worry about trying to save receipts and get compensation, etc later on if there were an issue.

I would get travel insurance and make sure pregnancy is covered. Better to be safe than sorry. Also see if you can get a scan and OB appointment prior to sailing. Just make sure everything is ok.

I found out I was pregnant just before a cruise ie not that far along. Sailed from Australia to New Zealand but the pregnancy was eptopic. My OB was furious as my tubes could have burst in the middle of the 3 day sail across the pacific. Imagine paying for a medical evacuation that far out from sea!

Medevac helicopters only go about 150 miles, so you likely would have been SOL, if my geography is correct.

Pregnant or not everyone should get travel insurance. Most health insurance does not cover you once you leave the country. If you had to go to a hospital or get other medical care could you afford a multi-thousand dollar bill? Far too many people think "I'm young and healthy, I don't need insurance" and hopefully they (and you) won't have to use it, but who knows?

I agree that you should shop around. Usually the cruise line insurance has the least coverage and for the same (or possible less) you can get much better coverage.

P.S. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Your first and second sentences are contradictory. I don't know your authority for asserting that "most" policies not cover international incidents, but I can assure that "some"' including ours, do.

Step one is always to know what coverage you already have. If your policy doesn't cover you outside of your country, then in some circumstances the insurance is a good idea. Only you know what your risk tolerance is, and that what you should to base your need for coverage on.

We purchase insurance selectively, and mostly not at all. Pur mmost likely neednwould be for "cancel for any reason" coverage, which is usually provided a the most competitive rates by the insurance sold through the cruiselines. But everybody has different needs.

Most health insurance does not cover you once you leave the country.

Medicare and Medicaid will only cover you in the 50 states. However, most other insurance plans in fact DO cover emergency care oversees. The coverage, which requires you to pay for services and seek reimbursement (the foreign facility won't work with your insurer) will usually be equivalent to what you have at home. So, if you have a $100 co-pay for an emergency room visit, or perhaps a $1,000 deductible, they will deduct those from what they reimburse.

But the assertion that "most health insurance doesn't cover you once you leave the country" is in fact incorrect.

We have used Travel Guard for many of our cruises. Very easy to look up on line and then call with questions. Of our 14 cruises we have only had to make one claim. But flying out of Michigan in Feb you never know the weather.

As many have said since you didn't get insurance within the 30days I don't know if they will cover anything with the pregnancy.

Just give a call and ask all the questions needed.

I would get travel insurance and make sure that it will cover you being pregnant and make sure you have it in writing. Our daughter was born with a complex medical condition and we never travel without having it in writing that she is covered by the insurance company. So far we have never needed to claim but the small amount you pay for insurance is worth the peace of mind.Enjoy your cruise and congratulation

But if you are already covered by your existing insurance, then that insurance is already offering the same piece of mind. ;)

Your right it would offer the same peace of mind if your health fund or any existing insurance covers you while you are traveling. I live in Australia and most health funds don't cover you if you leave the country.Which is why I recommended travel insurance .

Have a nice day

Edited by Jasp 0401

We have always bought insurance. There are just too many things that can happen besides DH or me getting sick. A relative may pass away or there are all kind of accidents that can happen.

About 2 years ago we became aware that we could wait until final payment to buy our insurance so we have waited since then to buy it when we make our final payment. We have a TA so she takes care of it. It saves spending that money in case we have to cancel.

Good luck with your baby and hope you have a fantastic cruise whatever you decide to do about the insurance.

Thanks for all the info everyone!! My husband and I booked our first cruise this past January (almost a year ago) and the 2nd one of our B2B this past September. So when we booked both of the cruises I was not pregnant yet, and the final payment for both our cruises was mid November so we already paid for them in full....so does this mean I'm SOL when it comes to getting travel insurance? :confused:

Thanks for mentioning for us to call our health insurance provider (BCBS) and asking what is covered....we never thought about doing that!! :D

We have always purchased Travel Insurance for our cruises, but recently, after reading through the policies have come to the conclusion that we have been way over covered. We are Medicare, but our secondary covers us out of the country. The only thing not covered is evacuation, which to us is the largest expense we could incur. Contemplating for our next cruise to purchase travel insurance with $0 trip expense, this would cover us for medical expenses, evacuation and trip interruption, but would not cover the cost of the trip if we had to cancel after final payment. However, our credit card company says we have trip cancellation coverage for up to $1500 each, (if all payments for the trip are charged on the card) if we should have to cancel for sickness, family illness, death, etc.

Has any one ever used this method for their travel insurance and has any one collected from their credit card company after they have had to cancel a cruise?

I traveled on a cruise while I was 5months pregnant and I have chrones disease

I always get cruise insurance and also private insurance. I also make sure I have everything on a credit card that has good insurance too . When I was pregnant my gastroenterologist told me if I was having an upset stomach while away to drink.

DIET COKE. IN A CAN. ONLY. Not diet Pepsi or sprite Only diet coke Even though I was pregnant and we all know diet coke is NOT good he said for the seven days it would be better than having a problem. If I went to the in lands I could not have anything in a glass. You don't know what they washed the glass in. I only would take food from the cruise ship when I was off and they do understand. I would only have fried food (chips). No fruit or vegetables unless it was on the ship. I only took water from the ship

Long story short. I have a healthy girl. Who was tested with a high IQ . (Do you think it could have been the diet coke LOL)

Thanks for all the info everyone!! My husband and I booked our first cruise this past January (almost a year ago) and the 2nd one of our B2B this past September. So when we booked both of the cruises I was not pregnant yet, and the final payment for both our cruises was mid November so we already paid for them in full....so does this mean I'm SOL when it comes to getting travel insurance? :confused:

Thanks for mentioning for us to call our health insurance provider (BCBS) and asking what is covered....we never thought about doing that!! :D

If you have BCBS (including FEP) the chances are good that you have the "separate" Out-of-Country coverage, which pays pretty much the same as in-country and treats all providers as preferred providers: http://www.fepblue.org/benefitplans/overseas-benefits/index.jsp

For most cruises we rely on the BCBS Out-of-Country for medical and on the (minimal but adequate) cancellation/interruption and baggage loss/delay coverage of our World MasterCard (cruise must be paid via the Card).

You can generally purchase travel insurance very close to sailing date - but, to get "waiver of pre-existing conditions" you generally have to purchase the policy within 14-21 days of booking (depending on which insurer), and only a few insurers include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" for purchases up to Final Payment; I don't know of any that include the Waiver past final payment.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Ck all insurance companies. Blue cross is not always the best. They will say that they will cover the cost. But at what they think it is worth. If you get a bill for 10,000. They may only cover 1,000. Because that is what they think it is worth the treatment

I have seen this People get very upset when they find this out and don't have the extra cash This does happen. Ask them before you purchase anything and get it in writing. Not what they think it is worth or should cost by if they will cover The Cost of the bill

First congratulation!! :)

I am lining up with everyone else saying "yes you need insurance".

First, check with your current medical insurance company because they may cover you outside the US. If they do not, decide what all you want covered. Do you just need the medical and medical evacuation (yes you do) or do you also want to cover the trip costs.

I found by reading through coverages that all we really wanted was medical and med evacuation with pre-existing condition. What we bought was through Travel Guard for medical with pre-existing conditions, and Medjet for evacuation.

[URL]http://www.travelguard.com/travelinsurance/international.asp?intcmp=clc-001-Nav-2-International[/URL]

[URL]http://medjetassist.com/[/URL]

[URL]http://www.insuremytrip.com/[/URL]

[quote name='kbset'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Thanks for all the info everyone!! My husband and I booked our first cruise this past January (almost a year ago) and the 2nd one of our B2B this past September. So when we booked both of the cruises I was not pregnant yet, and the final payment for both our cruises was mid November so we already paid for them in full....so does this mean I'm SOL when it comes to getting travel insurance? :confused:
Thanks for mentioning for us to call our health insurance provider (BCBS) and asking what is covered....we never thought about doing that!! :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

you will never get THE answer to that on a forum you need to get on the web and/or phone and actually talk to insurance companies.

[quote name='SPacificbound']
I found by reading through coverages that all we really wanted was medical and med evacuation with pre-existing condition. What we bought was through Travel Guard for medical with pre-existing conditions, and Medjet for evacuation.

[URL]http://www.travelguard.com/travelinsurance/international.asp?intcmp=clc-001-Nav-2-International[/URL]

[URL]http://medjetassist.com/[/URL]

[URL]http://www.insuremytrip.com/[/URL][/QUOTE]

That's about where I am. The medical evac is a nice one to have. And like I mentioned, the nice thing with MedJetAssist is you're not buying it for a trip, but a period of time (packages for several years) no matter what you do or where you go.

I think the issue that clouds this so often is people blending their thoughts on making sure they are covered for a medical issue with the ability to cancel a trip and get their money back. These are both important, but really should be thought of separately.

Cancellation coverage is an extremely variable concern. I frankly never bother. I'm relatively young, relatively healthy, and don't have any high probability immediate concerns (i.e. sick relative, etc...). But that's a PERSONAL decision. In the unlikely event that something caused me to cancel, I suspect whatever it was would make the concern over lost money seem minor.

In contrast, I think anyone being in any situation without adequate health coverage is foolish. But this has nothing to do with travel. This is true at home as well. A lot of people get really cheap, really lousy health insurance and are then shocked at how little things are covered. Traveling is no different in this respect. But first, find out what coverage you already have. Just buying travel insurance by saying "better safe than sorry!" when you may not in any way be improving on what you already have is ridiculous.

[quote name='macruisefan']That's about where I am. The medical evac is a nice one to have. And like I mentioned, the nice thing with MedJetAssist is you're not buying it for a trip, but a period of time (packages for several years) no matter what you do or where you go.

I think the issue that clouds this so often is people blending their thoughts on making sure they are covered for a medical issue with the ability to cancel a trip and get their money back. These are both important, but really should be thought of separately.

Cancellation coverage is an extremely variable concern. I frankly never bother. I'm relatively young, relatively healthy, and don't have any high probability immediate concerns (i.e. sick relative, etc...). But that's a PERSONAL decision. In the unlikely event that something caused me to cancel, I suspect whatever it was would make the concern over lost money seem minor.

In contrast, I think anyone being in any situation without adequate health coverage is foolish. But this has nothing to do with travel. This is true at home as well. A lot of people get really cheap, really lousy health insurance and are then shocked at how little things are covered. Traveling is no different in this respect. But first, find out what coverage you already have. Just buying travel insurance by saying "better safe than sorry!" when you may not in any way be improving on what you already have is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

You and I had a heated discussion on this topic a few months back and I won't start that again. Most people purchase travel insurance for cancellation and I agree that this should not be the only, or even the major reason, for getting it unless, of course, your trip is very expensive. Medical and Evacuation are my primary concerns. But the insurance is so cheap that it really pays to purchase a package policy. We are seniors and I can purchase a $1000 package policy for less than $100. This gives me only $1000 cancellatrion coverage but full coverage for all other issues. As far as medical is concerned, even if you have coverage thru your US policy, you will need to pay all costs up front and then get reimbursed. Even more important in an emergency, you would be at the mercy of locals who may not understand you and may not send you to the best doctors / hospital. Travel insurance companies have reps in all countries that speak your language and will make all arrangements. The insurer will guarantee payment to the hospital but I would guess you would have to pay doctors directly and get reimbursed. Also, with the current state of air travel, it is really nice to have insurance which covers missed flights and baggage. Finally, I do not use cost/benefit analysis when my health and life are at stake, particularly when the cost is about $100.

[quote name='Sherlock43031']you will never get THE answer to that on a forum you need to get on the web and/or phone and actually talk to insurance companies.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe they can get coverage but make sure you get any info from insurance companies in writing if it affects your coverage.

[quote name='golfpccc']We have always purchased Travel Insurance for our cruises, but recently, after reading through the policies have come to the conclusion that we have been way over covered. We are Medicare, but our secondary covers us out of the country. The only thing not covered is evacuation, which to us is the largest expense we could incur. Contemplating for our next cruise to purchase travel insurance with $0 trip expense, this would cover us for medical expenses, evacuation and trip interruption, but would not cover the cost of the trip if we had to cancel after final payment. However, our credit card company says we have trip cancellation coverage for up to $1500 each, (if all payments for the trip are charged on the card) if we should have to cancel for sickness, family illness, death, etc.

Has any one ever used this method for their travel insurance and has any one collected from their credit card company after they have had to cancel a cruise?[/QUOTE]

Yes I use this method but you cannot purchase $0 cancellation. I believe the cost is the same for anything below $1000 for entire trip cost.

[quote name='Giorgi-one'] Finally, I do not use cost/benefit analysis when my health and life are at stake[/QUOTE]

Sure you do! That's exactly WHY you have looked at the situation and decided it makes sense for you to buy insurance. Much of what you said before this line IS cost/benefit analysis.:)

We also have MedjetAssist.

We've bought trip insurance ever since our first cruise. DH broke his hip a couple of months before, and had to cancel. We kept trying to decide what to do, and finally cancelled it about 4 days before. We used our insurance money on a cruise five months later, and that was the cruise that was late returning to port due to weather. Once we got to port, their transfer bus broke down in the airport.

They gave us meal vouchers, rebooked our air, and also put us up in a suite at the Hilton!

I would never travel without travel insurance. Used it when dd came down with an infection that mimicked appendicitis while we were ported in Belize. We were off-loaded to a Belize hospital for 3 days. The travel insurance covered our airfare back to the Miami, a hotel overnight while waiting for our flight the next day back to NY, food, and all the medical expenses Blue Cross/Blue Shield didn't cover. I think we were "out" a total of $5 that wasn't covered. (with over $6,000 in expenses) Plus we were re-imbursed for the 5 days of the cruise we missed. As soon as I book a cruise/vacation, the next call is to purchase insurance. The extra $200 is considered part of our vacation expense. I would get it - especially if you are pregnant, and going on a btb.