Celebrity Summit vs RCL Jewel Of The Sea

debbk

I currently have a aft balcony cabin (9256) booked on Jewel for March 2014 sailing out of SJ. We have the option to cancel it and change it to Celebrity Summit also going out of SJ with a slightly better itinerary.

If we went with Celebrity we would go with an oceanview cabin (balcony cabins much higher in price than Jewel so not an option) which would save us £225 plus they are including classic drinks package for myself & DH.

So I suppose the big question is great aft balcony cabin on Jewel or oceanview cabin with unlimited drinks package on Celebrity Summit.

I should say we are both early 40's enjoy good food, entertainment, disco and bars with live music and not really keen on lots of children running around. I have been on RCL on many different ships (Oasis, Brilliance, Adventure, Liberty etc) but never Celebrity.

I just can't decide what to do so please help.

Many thanks in advance.

progress.gif

Hmm, that's a tough one. I've heard such great things about Jewel, and those aft balconies are the BEST.

But, you'll be saving money on Celebrity, plus you'll have a better itinerary AND a drink package. I also think you'll find more live music venues on Celebrity.

On Jewel you'll probably have a few more kids, but not a ton, and Jewel will probably have nightlife that goes on a little later than Celebrity.

Celebrity Summit has a WONDERFUL spa area with a big thalassotherapy pool, and Celebrity is, in my opinion, slightly more upscale, with better food and a slight edge in better service than Royal Caribbean.

My vote is Celebrity on this one!

Since you've never been on Celebrity, why not give it a try? I think you'll love the drink package, even if you're not a heavy drinker. It feels elegant to have a mixed drink whenever yoyo want, plus soda and bottled water and specialty coffees and smoothies, as well as wine with dinner matched to your meal choices, and all with no slips to sign or thought about cost. No bar bill at the end of the cruise to alarm you over how much you drank! But seriously, we love the Summit, it has a more traditional and elegant atmosphere than some of the newer ships, but was recently refurbished. Add in a better itinerary and less money, and seems like a good time to try Celebrity.

We have done the Summit out of San Juan twice and really liked the ship lot. If the itinerary is better and the savings as much as you mention, plus a free drink package, then I think I would be very inclined to make the switch. Jewel is a very nice ship as well. Jewel will probably have more kids on board as RCL is a tad more family oriented. But depending on your sailing date you might also see more kids on the Summit than usual as March coincides with many spring breaks. We think both food and service on Celebrity is a notch or two better than on RCL.

The itineraries of both RCL and Celebrity out of San Juan are port intensive with only 1 day at sea. So, realistically how much time would you envision spending on a balcony to justify paying the £225 differential? Balconies are nice, but we find that our actual time on the balcony is much less than our pre-cruise dreaming, especially with only 1 sea day. The cost savings by switching could cover some nice day excursions. And, the beverage package, even if you are not a heavy alcohol consumer still has value as well.

Funny how people see things different. We were on the summit about a month ago and thought the food was not nearly as good as RCCL. I also thought the service was off too. We went with 2 other couples who all agreed. It was our first on celebrity and was disappointed. But with the savings and the drink package I would probably do the summit. I love the Jewel and her staff and love the aft balconies as they look right over the water. Either way should have a good time. Things were pretty dead after 11 on celebrity

We stayed in 9256 for 14 nights on our 25th anniversary cruise and it was a fabulous cabin although a long walk from anything. We enjoyed the balcony and the lounge chairs very much and it was extremely relaxing.

That being said, we did end up with a bar bill :rolleyes:. I think if you book a balcony on the Summit with the free drinks promo in the long run you will come to the same thing. Even if the cabin is more, enjoying a few drinks and wine with dinner your total spent will be around the same.

On the Summit we have booked one of the sweet 16 cabins, they have a slightly larger balcony and are the lowest category. We are looking forward to trying some drinks we might not have if we were paying the bill. No lounge chairs but we will enjoy in none the less.

Do your math, I think Celebrity will still win!

Edited by monicajay

We were on the Summit for the Oct repositioning cruise. We had a wonderful cruise. We are D+ on RCI and this was our first Celebrity cruise and we had the Classic Bev package.

The ship was great. The crew was fantastic. The staff officers were very visible with activities like Dancing With The Stripes, also Water volleyball, guests vrs Stripes... it was different from the games that we have seen on several cruise lines for at least 10 years. In port, the Stripes formed a line to wish passengers an enjoyable day ashore...a nice added touch. Of course, returning to the ship they have a small seating area under a tent as well as cool beverages available before you board the ship.

The Classic Bev package was a great perk. Fresh squeezed juice in the morning, bottled water to take ashore or drink onboard, specialty coffees, and then also the beer, wine and liquor. We had no problem getting wine with dinner or having after dinner shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. It was nice not to have to sign all of those slips of paper. I will note that after we booked, the 123 Go Promo ended and the price of our stateroom dropped. So, while we got a discount on the bev package, in essence we paid for it. We could have gotten the price drop but we would have had to give up the Bev package so we stayed with what we booked.

There is no fee for towels. You do not have to sign them out...they are there at the pools for your use.

We found that the menus were slightly different from RCI but we never had a problem finding something on the menu that was appealing. Escargot was available every night. We had wonderful service. We did select dining but the first night we clicked with the others at our table so we all decided to stay at that same table together for the remainder of the cruise. 2 of our table mates were TA's and they asked for a plate of Asparagus for the table. Every night we got a large plate full of asparagus to pass around the table.

The first day after boarding, we walked around the ship and stopped to look at the Normandie Restaurant. That night we could make a 2 for 1 reservation. We decided to pass and that was fortunate since our table mates made the dinner hour an event.

The shows in the theater were good. The singers and dancers were great but the sets were not quite up to what I have seen on RCI. Still, it was entertaining and the comic that was onboard the cruise was fabulous!

We like both lines and we were very happy with our experience on the Summit.

Getting a drink package plus saving money sure sounds like a good reason to give Celebrity a try.

Edited by JMG

The decision has been made and we are going on Summit as having read all the helpful comments on here it made me realise that we really will not do the aft balcony justice with so many ports. It will be nice to be able to enjoy the drinks package and try a few different drinks that we may not do so normally. Plus as I have never been with Celebrity it will be good to try something new.

Thank you everyone for all your great advice.

The decision has been made and we are going on Summit as having read all the helpful comments on here it made me realise that we really will not do the aft balcony justice with so many ports. It will be nice to be able to enjoy the drinks package and try a few different drinks that we may not do so normally. Plus as I have never been with Celebrity it will be good to try something new.

Thank you everyone for all your great advice.

If you have decided not to go with the balcony, you might want to look at the newer outside cabins on deck 3. I gather they have a very large window. I have booked 3112 for March 2015. The numbers are 3112-3144 . They were originally part of the convention area and now have now been made into cabins. For our 2014 cruise we have a balcony. Once we have done that one we can still upgrade to a balcony if we really think we can't live without it. Cancel the cruise altogether if we don't like Celebrity, or try an outside with a really big window.

We are also looking forward to trying drinks I might otherwise pass on if I had to pay.

I currently have a aft balcony cabin (9256) booked on Jewel for March 2014 sailing out of SJ. We have the option to cancel it and change it to Celebrity Summit also going out of SJ with a slightly better itinerary.

If we went with Celebrity we would go with an oceanview cabin (balcony cabins much higher in price than Jewel so not an option) which would save us £225 plus they are including classic drinks package for myself & DH.

So I suppose the big question is great aft balcony cabin on Jewel or oceanview cabin with unlimited drinks package on Celebrity Summit.

I should say we are both early 40's enjoy good food, entertainment, disco and bars with live music and not really keen on lots of children running around. I have been on RCL on many different ships (Oasis, Brilliance, Adventure, Liberty etc) but never Celebrity.

I just can't decide what to do so please help.

Many thanks in advance.

progress.gif

Haved sailed twice on the Summit, going again in August. While I enjoy RC, the Jewel is not a freedom or Oasis Class. I would definately do the Summit and enjoy the perks!

Enjoy your cruises.

If you have decided not to go with the balcony, you might want to look at the newer outside cabins on deck 3. I gather they have a very large window. I have booked 3112 for March 2015. The numbers are 3112-3144 . They were originally part of the convention area and now have now been made into cabins. For our 2014 cruise we have a balcony. Once we have done that one we can still upgrade to a balcony if we really think we can't live without it. Cancel the cruise altogether if we don't like Celebrity, or try an outside with a really big window.

We are also looking forward to trying drinks I might otherwise pass on if I had to pay.

I'm booked in one of these cabins for my February 2015 cruise! They are a great deal and I can't wait to enjoy the view - without a balcony on this trip :D