Is alcohol package "worth" it?

krmlaw

Looking at premium that includes frozen alcohol too ...

Is there a limit on how many drink you can get a day? During a time period?

I don't even know how much drinks cost on ships anymore ...

Yes, definitely worth it if you drink at least five drinks a day. Includes wine up to $12 a glass which is most wines. Includes bottled water and soda from the tap. Includes most beers and all cocktails up to $10, which again includes most cocktails. Also includes gratuities.

Most mixed drinks are @ $6.50 to $8.00. Martinis @ $8.50 to $9.50. Beers start around $5 and up. The package has improved since we had it, with the addition of bottled water and more expensive wines. So it is really a good buy now!

We had the Premium drink package in October and loved it. Only signed one receipt and the bar servers treated us well. So nice to not have that bill at the end of the cruise. If you are even thinking of getting it…then get it. You won't be sorry.

Oh …and no limit on drinks per day and no time limitations.

Edited by JillLovesTravel

When I factor in how much time I am off the ship the program would not work for me.

I agree-OP, it depends on your itinerary and what your plans are. If you are going to be off the ship 3-4 days, then it's probably not worth it. However, if you're going to stay on the ship at some ports (that you've already been to), then it's probably a good buy.

We are sailing on a Bahamas itinerary soon and if you combine the sea days, our staying on the ship in Port Canaveral and being able to use the package at CoCo Cay, buying it is a no-brainer for us!

I would never spend that much money upfront for drinks.

Drinks that you probably don't really want, but feel obligated to drink so you can justify the cost.

Well to me that's a pro, not a con!

I think another benefit is that you can try drinks you might not like knowing if you don't finish it didn't cost you.

Edited by DrD

I met several folks last week on a cruise who had purchased the package.

All said that they regretted buying it, mainly because they did not drink as much as they thought they would.

And many items they liked were priced slightly above the "included" range of drinks...

Just curious, but can you give examples of what drinks were priced "slightly above"? I know someone mentioned the cucumber martini in another thread from 150 central park, but I was wondering what else.

I think it was some of the beers & wines, but I don't know which ones..

They said some were priced just $.25 above the limit..

Each person has to decide for themselves if it is worth it but the fact that they have removed the requirement that all members of the stateroom must but the packages has made it more attractive. For me it is absolutely worth it. Google Royal Caribbean drink packages and there is a link to the Royal Caribbean blog that shows what is and is not included. It also shows what you have to consume to make each package worth buying.

Martinis are INCLUDED

Shots are INCLUDED, although certain uber-premium brands, like Patron, were not included.

All beer is INCLUDED

Mixers are INCLUDED (including Red Bull)

The only spirits not avail are any Scotch over 12 years old Cognac VSOP and above

Ultimate Vodka, Belvedere. chopin and Grey Goose are INCLUDED

Patron is NOT INCLUDED

House wine are INCLUDED (although we've heard the included house wines are not very good)

Drinks on Private islands are INCLUDED

Virgin (non-alcoholic) mixed drinks are INCLUDED

Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, specialty coffee, mini bar items, canned sodas, bottled water / juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages.

Officially, all beers $6.25 and under are included. Here are the beers we've found not to be covered.

Sam Adams Imperial White

Sam Adams Double Bock

Foster's Oil Can

Grolsch Premium Lager

Chimay Blue 750ml

Edited by dacsmom

It varies per person, but it was worth it to us on our Adventure cruise. I liked the convenience, we didn’t have to sign any slips, and we were able to try different drinks. Our bar tab is usually high anyway, and we pre-paid for the package so at the end of the cruise we didn’t have any bill, as a matter of fact we got most of our OBC back!!

Each person has to decide for themselves if it is worth it but the fact that they have removed the requirement that all members of the stateroom must but the packages has made it more attractive. For me it is absolutely worth it. Google Royal Caribbean drink packages and there is a link to the Royal Caribbean blog that shows what is and is not included. It also shows what you have to consume to make each package worth buying.

Martinis are INCLUDED

Shots are INCLUDED, although certain uber-premium brands, like Patron, were not included.

All beer is INCLUDED

The only spirits not avail are any Scotch over 12 years old Cognac VSOP and above

Patron is NOT INCLUDED

House wine are INCLUDED (although we've heard the included house wines are not very good)

Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, specialty coffee, mini bar items, canned sodas, bottled water / juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages.

Officially, all beers $6.25 and under are included. Here are the beers we've found not to be covered.

Sam Adams Imperial White

Sam Adams Double Bock

Foster's Oil Can

Grolsch Premium Lager

Chimay Blue 750ml

I believe that the wines include all wines up to $12 per glass, and bottled still water is included

On a Western trip, Allure of the Seas, you have only two port days (not counting Labadee). That leaves 5 complete days plus two half days. My bar bill is always around $400.00. So the package breaks even. Prepay it, no need to sign for every drink. What more can you want?

Packages are not for everyone, but for those that drink, than it is great, convenient and easy to budget!

Martinis are INCLUDED

All beer is INCLUDED

Patron is NOT INCLUDED

Sam Adams Imperial White

Sam Adams Double Bock

Foster's Oil Can

Grolsch Premium Lager

Chimay Blue 750ml

RCCL changed its drink packages effective all sailings after Nov 15th of this year. The website was supposed to be updated by Dec 1. Doesn't look like either of those things happened exactly as planned.

This looks like the old premium package. Its pretty much the same thing with the following exceptions:

No more excluded drinks, now there is a $10 limit per drink (and you can just pay anything above that $10 for the more expensive drinks)

Now includes wine by the glass ($12 limit) not just house wine

Bottled water is now included

and

Not everyone in each cabin must purchase

Edited by ULCajunCruiser

I have never done it (but mainly because I like fresca/vodka which they don't serve) but have had several friends and family do it. I have never heard a single one say they regretted it. Even my BIL who is pretty picky about his wine said they had some decent choices. He had the upgraded package.

They all said it was so nice to try different things and if one got watered down because you didn't drink it fast enough or you just didn't like it you never felt guilty about just ordering another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCCL changed its drink packages effective all sailings after Nov 15th of this year. The website was supposed to be updated by Dec 1. Doesn't look like either of those things happened exactly as planned.

This looks like the old premium package. Its pretty much the same thing with the following exceptions:

No more excluded drinks, now there is a $10 limit per drink (and you can just pay anything above that $10 for the more expensive drinks)

Now includes wine by the glass ($12 limit) not just house wine

Bottled water is now included

and

Not everyone in each cabin must purchase

here is a link to the new packages.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/Royal%20Alcohol%20Beverage%20FAQ%20All%20Ships%20Web%20Nov%2013_tcm16-27947.pdf

Edited by dacsmom

I agree-OP, it depends on your itinerary and what your plans are. If you are going to be off the ship 3-4 days, then it's probably not worth it. However, if you're going to stay on the ship at some ports (that you've already been to), then it's probably a good buy.

We are sailing on a Bahamas itinerary soon and if you combine the sea days, our staying on the ship in Port Canaveral and being able to use the package at CoCo Cay, buying it is a no-brainer for us!

We just bought the alcohol (not premium because we are beer drinkers) for our cruise coming on the 22nd. What made my decision was our itinerary. We are in Port Canaveral so won't be off the ship much if any, then Nassau on Christmas day. Not much will be open, so we should be on the ship much of the time. Then we go to Coco Cay, which should include our package. To me that was confirmation enough.

We were on a Southern out of San Juan this summer with a port intensive itinerary. I don't fee that the package would have been worth it in that case. I think you have to look at your situation carefully and you will be able to come to a conclusion as to its worth to you.

Does anyone know how the package works with their drink of the day... do you still get to keep the glass?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If you order a drink inside the ship (not at the pool bar where they serve everything in plastic), they serve many of the drinks in the special glass. They seemed to use them like regular glassware on the ship I just got off of yesterday. I didn't keep any of the special glasses, because I didn't really want to pack them. However, I walked all over the ship with them and just dropped them off at the closest bar when I finished my drink.