Which ship?

beachbum6264

We are thinking about a Panama Canal cruise in early 2015. There are 2 cruises available on HAL, on either Statendam or Veendam. Any thoughts on which you like better, and why? Or which you would not sail, and why? Thanks in advance for your help.

We just returned from a Veendam PC cruise. With those choices, I'd probably go with the Statendam. Not because we didn't like the Veendam (although they really need to work on the A/C problems), but because we've not been on the Statendam, yet.

Now, there would be other variables - dates of cruise, direction of cruise (we prefer westbound), cost (of course) that we would throw into the mix for the final decision.

Statendam and Veendam started life as essentially the same, but that changed dramatically on the Veendam when Retreat 1.0, and later Retreat 2.0 were installed. I would take the Statendam for this cruise.

The Veendam has a large mound (for lack of a better word) smack dab in the middle of the aft Navigation Deck. That would be prime space for seeing both sides of the Canal at the same time, if the view were not so terribly blocked. It also takes up space that people would be standing in to watch. Makes it more crowded this way.

I sailed the Veendam for 20 days last January, and had a lovely time; the ship has a lot to offer. I haven't been on the Statendam since 2000, so can't speak to the condition of the ship. I just know I missed that aft view.

Also, the Veendam has a lot of lanai cabins, reserving Lower Promenade loungers for the occupants of those cabins. It would be another nice spot for watching some of the ride through the Canal, but not as much public space as the Statendam has.

We did the Statendam canal trip a few years ago and everything was fine, even though there were horror stories posted about the A/C prior. Tested the temperature in our cabin every day to see what was what and it was always the same. We had a verandah cabin.

Trying the Veedam in a few weeks so if you are still deciding I'll see what I can report after that to compare the two, but basically they are the same smaller ships and any small ship is a good ship in my book. :cool:

Thank you all so much - just the kind of information I was looking for. Statendam has the vote so far! The 2 cruises are just a month apart and close in price, both from FLL to San Diego Since I don't fly (bad experience), it's a great way to get from Florida to close to our DD and family in Oregon! Rent a car, drive up to Oregon, then drive home. Sounds like a plan to me :D