Best cruise line for my parents in their 80's

Cairnmom

My parents (80's), who are very independent, have expressed an interest in cruising with me on a commercial line. They would be first time cruisers, but are boaters and have their own sail boat. I'm not sure what cruise line would be the best, but definitely a smaller ship would be better. I've eliminated Carnival. Thinking possibly Holland or Celebrity. Thoughts?

My parents (80's), who are very independent, have expressed an interest in cruising with me on a commercial line. They would be first time cruisers, but are boaters and have their own sail boat. I'm not sure what cruise line would be the best, but definitely a smaller ship would be better. I've eliminated Carnival. Thinking possibly Holland or Celebrity. Thoughts?

Hi

We are in our 60s and like Celebrity. Only 1 announcement per day, smoking only allowed on 2 outside decks, excellent food and great service.

I have done some reviews. Click on my name.

Tom:)

I have heard good comments about Holland but I agree with Tom47 that Celebrity would be a good choice. We're partial to the "S" class but did enjoy the "M" class Celebrity ships, also (but they don't have real grass to putt golf balls across). We are also in our 60's and find the age range on Celebrity very comfortable.....

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

2004 Carnival

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2015 Viking Star

Hi

We are in our 60s and like Celebrity. Only 1 announcement per day, smoking only allowed on 2 outside decks, excellent food and great service.

I have done some reviews. Click on my name.

Tom:)

Thanks Tom. I forgot about the smoking issue. We want to go with a line that has the tightest smoking restrictions. I think that is Celebrity. Also I am interested in their Blu dining option.

I have heard good comments about Holland but I agree with Tom47 that Celebrity would be a good choice. We're partial to the "S" class but did enjoy the "M" class Celebrity ships, also (but they don't have real grass to putt golf balls across). We are also in our 60's and find the age range on Celebrity very comfortable.....

Thanks. They both golf so having real grass would be a plus!

Oceania has 3 elegant smaller ships that hold only 700 passenger.The food and service are excellent and the itineraries go all over the world. you might want to check that one out.

Dorisis beat me to it.

Oceania is classy with great food and service and just about perfect.

My mom is 80...and quite fit and active....how are your parent's activity levels? Have you asked them what their thoughts are? After all, it will be THEIR cruise, right?

Just because someone is older, doesn't mean they don't want a bit of fun!

Thanks! These are all very good suggestions. I will look at Oceania.

Cairnmom: Do not know where you are starting from, but if in the NorthEast, also consider Royal Caribbean. They have excellent service and the demographics will accommodate easily to your parents. The advantage: you drive to the ship and avoid the hassle of airports.

Long time traveler that today avoids airports @ 75

Herb :confused:

Cairnmom: Do not know where you are starting from, but if in the NorthEast, also consider Royal Caribbean. They have excellent service and the demographics will accommodate easily to your parents. The advantage: you drive to the ship and avoid the hassle of airports.

Long time traveler that today avoids airports @ 75

Herb :confused:

They live in FL, so that makes it easy. Several ports nearby.

My mom is 80...and quite fit and active....how are your parent's activity levels? Have you asked them what their thoughts are? After all, it will be THEIR cruise, right?

Just because someone is older, doesn't mean they don't want a bit of fun!

They are very active for their age. We have just started talking about the various cruise lines and the pros/cons of each. Of course, ultimately it is their decision.