A few minor questions,

chrisoutofafrica

We are soon to be on the Riveria for the first time.

Are there salty snacks available, such as pretzels, peanuts, chips? Can we buy them in the "gift" shop? Are they on a room service menu? Or should we bring them with us? I know there will be wonderful food aboard, but old habits die hard.

Are "Crocs" shoes too slippery to wear on the outside/pool decks?

If we were to buy the discounted wines on sale that they offer on occasion, would we we able to take them to the dining venues without a corking fee and the 18 % gratuity, or is that expecting a bit much?

If we want to order soft drinks in the bars, is there a charge and 18% gratutity added? We aren't big drinkers but would still like to be where the action is.

We are soon to be on the Riveria for the first time.

Are there salty snacks available, such as pretzels, peanuts, chips? Can we buy them in the "gift" shop? Are they on a room service menu? Or should we bring them with us? I know there will be wonderful food aboard, but old habits die hard.

If we were to buy the discounted wines on sale that they offer on occasion, would we we able to take them to the dining venues without a corking fee and the 18 % gratuity, or is that expecting a bit much?

If we want to order soft drinks in the bars, is there a charge and 18% gratutity added? We aren't big drinkers but would still like to be where the action is.

If you want more than a nibble bring your own snacks. I'm a salty/savory snacker myself so a sweet or two just doesn't satisfy.

When you purchase wines on-board they will add the 18% gratuity automatically at the time of purchase. That is the service charge so no addional corkage. They will cellar the wine properly for you. When at any venue just ask for one of your bottles and they will serve it. Open bottles can follow you around. They check the Specialty restaurant reservations for each night. If they see you have a reservation and an open bottle of wine they will bring it to local storage ahead of time so that it is at hand if you decide that you want it that night. That is for any bottle of wine they open whether purchaesd in a restaurant, bought on-board wine bazaar or brought on board and you have paid corkage.

There is no charge for soft drinks so no bill to sign and so no added tip.

Edited by YoHoHo

As a "junk food junkie", let me just add that I have never seen pretzels on Oceania (or any other cruise ship I can recall). There are occasionally small containers of snack nuts or potato chips set out a bars, but only if you order a drink. If you are in a suite with a butler, you can (according to a recent report), ask for potato chips. I love popcorn, but have rarely seen it or know if it's available on Oceania ships. On Marina's Maiden Voyage, I know there was a popcorn machine, but I only saw it deployed once on the pool deck,and have never seen one on Riviera. The only snack chips I have seen in the shops are Pringles, of course priced higher than on shore.

I have purchased snacks on shore at various ports, but I can tell you that pretzels are almost non-existent outside the US (maybe available in Germany, but I won't know until our river cruise next June). I usually find room to bring my own pretzels. We're booked for the 180 day World Cruise in January, 2015, and I've purchased a small, West Bend air corn popper to pack, along with some bags of bulk popcorn. The heat it generates is not much different than a hairdryer, so I should be able to use it without problem.

Edited by hondorner

Hondorner has already covered this topic, quite conclusively, so I'll refer you to post #3

Not too slippery, but remember that once Crocs get wet they squeak like mad. It can make for an embarrassing walk back to the cabin.
No corkage is ever charged on any type of bottle which is purchased from Oceania, but you won't need to "take them with you". The Bottles will be identified as being yours at the time of purchase, and afterward may be served upon request, in any bar or restaurant on the ship.

There is no charge for soft drinks throughout the entire ship, so there is no gratuity assessed.

. We're booked for the 180 day World Cruise in January, 2015, and I've purchased a small, West Bend air corn popper to pack, along with some bags of bulk popcorn. The heat it generates is not much different than a hairdryer, so I should be able to use it without problem.

Now that is one of the neatest ideas I have heard.... Popcorn would be great sitting on your veranda with a cold beer or even better a martini.....

Way to go Don...... having a "lite" snack rather than all the heavy foods would be a welcome relief.

The problem I have with the popcorn popper is this: While fresh popped corn TASTES delicious, the SCENT of the popcorn cooking can be off-putting to others, and lingers for quite a long time. While I was still working, popping corn in the entire building was off limits after someone popped it on one of the floors and the scent permeated the building! Not too pleasant, I must say. JMHO.

Donna

Typical office popcorn is cooked in a microwave vs a hot air popcorn popper. microwave popcorn is banned in many office buildings due to its pervasive 'aroma'. I suspect the chemical used as 'butter' is the culprit. There are cancer health warnings too on microwave popcorn (bag lining when exposed to radiation) and the 'butter' (factory workers exposed during production). You are certainly not alone in your take on the lingering aroma.

I agree that the eater's appreciation of the popcorn smell is different than others, but for me hot air popcorn is acceptable. I'd object to the smell of it cooking though if Don does not share :)

Typical office popcorn is cooked in a microwave vs a hot air popcorn popper. microwave popcorn is banned in many office buildings due to its pervasive 'aroma'. I suspect the chemical used as 'butter' is the culprit. There are cancer health warnings too on microwave popcorn (bag lining when exposed to radiation) and the 'butter' (factory workers exposed during production). You are certainly not alone in your take on the lingering aroma.

I agree that the eater's appreciation of the popcorn smell is different than others, but for me hot air popcorn is acceptable. I'd object to the smell of it cooking though if Don does not share :)

First no smoking on balconies now no popcorn.. can peanuts be far behind and no soda over 16 oz can be served.........

As to the cancer risk..... The US dept of health just issued a cancer warning on your saliva.

Saliva has been found to cause cancer...." but only if you swallow a lot they added"

I cannot imagine the cruise line allowing a popcorn machine in your cabin

I would make friends with one of the chefs & get them to make some :D

Good idea Lyn. I'll bet on his 180 day around the world cruise Don will get lots of popcorn.

OTH, a 'chef' has already considered this

th?id=H.5023961898288688&w=225&h=149&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Pervasive odor? Hey, I won't be using this in Horizons :rolleyes:. And, if someone is in my cabin (highly unlikely if I have to share with anyone other than Mark) when I pop and objects, I guess they'd be free to leave :p. Mark, you can stay ;). I wonder how many complaints Regent gets when they use their old style popcorn popper in the theater on movie days. I've sailed NCL a couple of times, and never heard a complaint about the popper in the Red Lion pub, where they pop hundreds of bags each evening (just walk by and grab a couple of bags).

As I mentioned before, the popper uses no more heat than a hair dryer. In fact, I just did a little geeky research, and discovered the popper is 1200 watts and a typical hair dryer is 1440 watts on high. I bet someone could figure out how to make an attachment to a hair dryer that could pop corn...so I sincerely doubt there would be any restriction on its use. The heat in the popper is confined, while the air flow from a hair dryer can be up to 50 mph. With thick, long hair it's likely the hair dryer would have to run longer than the four minutes or less advertised to pop corn.

I thought I might have a problem packing a popcorn bowl, but I remembered I have a collapsible silicone bowl for my RV -- problem solved :cool:.

Back to the crocs, I remember Stacy on "What not to Wear" saying "if crocs were the only shoes possible, I would cut off my feet". She is so right. I would cut off my feet rather than wear those things.

Don't ever be seen anywhere wearing those!

Back to the crocs, I remember Stacy on "What not to Wear" saying "if crocs were the only shoes possible, I would cut off my feet". She is so right. I would cut off my feet rather than wear those things.

Don't ever be seen anywhere wearing those!

Whoa, have to disagree with you. Crocs are the choice for the islands in the South Pacific where it can rain heaps in a few minutes. So what if they are ugly.....not to make a fashion statement but for ease, comfort, and durability, Crocs win hands down.

They had popcorn on the Riviera during the movies in the Riviera Lounge and on the pool deck. In the gift shop they had snacks. We did buy freshly roaste nuts in the Grand Bazaar to bring on board and then we did not open the (vacuum sealed) and found we could not bring them home due to customs restriction.

Room service is always happy to provide a small bowl of nuts and chips. Or I have stopped at a bar and asked to bring one of their little three-dish servers with a handle back to our room for private cocktail hour. Never a problem.

And I am fine with the small quantity...don't want to spoil yet another delicious dinner!!:D

When Crocs first came out, they were rather ugly in neon colours. However, there are some very nice styles offered now in chic colours. I am not trying to make any fashion statments, I really want to know if they will be a good choice to wear around the pool deck, as I don't want to slip on the wet surface. My Tivas (which are also not a fasion statement!) sometimes are slippery on certain surfaces. I don't want to have to pack extra shoes if I don't have to.

Re the salty snacks, I did buy a bag of pretzels and a bag of peanuts. A handful is all we need just to tide us over till the dinner hour. Can hardly wait for that amazing food.

And, what may I ask is the Grand Bazaar??

When Crocs first came out, they were rather ugly in neon colours. However, there are some very nice styles offered now in chic colours. I am not trying to make any fashion statments, I really want to know if they will be a good choice to wear around the pool deck, as I don't want to slip on the wet surface. My Tivas (which are also not a fasion statement!) sometimes are slippery on certain surfaces. I don't want to have to pack extra shoes if I don't have to.

Re the salty snacks, I did buy a bag of pretzels and a bag of peanuts. A handful is all we need just to tide us over till the dinner hour. Can hardly wait for that amazing food.

And, what may I ask is the Grand Bazaar??

Perhaps the poster was in Istanbul and purchased the nuts at the Grand Bazaar there. I am not familiar with any Grand Bazaar on Riviera, Marina or Regatta.