Taxes bumped up after final payment

We are 28 days out from cruise on Celebrity Solstice and have just logged in to check reservation. Surprised to see we now owe an extra $116 for the 2 of us, for taxes. I guess they can do this as it is in the fine print but rather annoying all the same. When you consider the cruise is virtually sold out, and that is $58 per person, and there are over 2500 on board, that is at least $145,000 in extra revenue. Also, our dollar is quite strong against the Aussie and US dollar at the moment. Anyone any ideas on how this all works?

We are 28 days out from cruise on Celebrity Solstice and have just logged in to check reservation. Surprised to see we now owe an extra $116 for the 2 of us, for taxes. I guess they can do this as it is in the fine print but rather annoying all the same. When you consider the cruise is virtually sold out, and that is $58 per person, and there are over 2500 on board, that is at least $145,000 in extra revenue. Also, our dollar is quite strong against the Aussie and US dollar at the moment. Anyone any ideas on how this all works?

You said the extra was for taxes so it is not extra revenue. Taxes would usually mean fees the cruise line has to pay to each port they visit. $58 sounds a large increase and I wonder if taxes were included in the original price quoted.

Yes, the taxes of $227 each were already included in our price, so the $58 extra is on top of this cost. I thought they seemed quite steep as well but as this is only our second cruise, maybe this is normal. We had no such scenario with our Princess Cruise.

Yes, the taxes of $227 each were already included in our price, so the $58 extra is on top of this cost. I thought they seemed quite steep as well but as this is only our second cruise, maybe this is normal. We had no such scenario with our Princess Cruise.

If one or more of the ports raises their taxes, every ship has to pay it (but $58 sounds a lot). If you booked through a TA, maybe they can give you more details.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Could it be because the original calculations were on the old $ to $ price and this has changed?

Are you referring to the exchange rate from US$ to AUD? That could be an explanation, but to make up $58 increase, I think it would have to be more than that. For example, the port fees would have to be $580 for a a 10% difference in exchange rate to result in a $58 increase. Our South American cruise that had (I think) 20 ports, had fees and taxes of $615.

We only have 7 ports where we are docked and there are 2 places where we are tendered in. If they take an extra NZ$145,000 for the increase, that's an average of over $20,000 per docked port. As I said, we are relatively new to cruising and have no idea on what is normal, low or over the top. Thanks for all your information. Do these increases happen often?

We only have 7 ports where we are docked and there are 2 places where we are tendered in. If they take an extra NZ$145,000 for the increase, that's an average of over $20,000 per docked port. As I said, we are relatively new to cruising and have no idea on what is normal, low or over the top. Thanks for all your information. Do these increases happen often?

No. At least not to my knowledge. As far as I am aware the only extra they can charge after final payment was/is the surcharge if fuel increases beyond a nominated price.....and I have yet to hear of it being applied to anyone.

Any port charges should have been included in the original quote. Any port fees or tax increases would have been well notified months if not years in advance. Did you book through a TA , or direct.

Either way I would be asking Why ?

When are you expected to pay the increase?

I cannot imagine them refusing you boarding at check in because of an undercharge on their part.

Sounds to me like a booking bunny has made an administration blunder, but best to get anything like this cleared up as soon as possible so that it does not snowball.

No. At least not to my knowledge. As far as I am aware the only extra they can charge after final payment was/is the surcharge if fuel increases beyond a nominated price.....and I have yet to hear of it being applied to anyone.

Any port charges should have been included in the original quote. Any port fees or tax increases would have been well notified months if not years in advance. Did you book through a TA , or direct.

Either way I would be asking Why ?

When are you expected to pay the increase?

I cannot imagine them refusing you boarding at check in because of an undercharge on their part.

Sounds to me like a booking bunny has made an administration blunder, but best to get anything like this cleared up as soon as possible so that it does not snowball.

on a couple of cruises we have had to pay a small fee after boarding the ship, its to do with taxes but no where near $58

I have been dealing directly with Celebrity through the phone and made final payment through internet banking. The funny thing is, I only found this increase by chance when I went into our reservation to check on the itinerary times. They hadn't even notified me of the increase by email or phone and they certainly have our contact details. If I don't pay, I guess they will add it to our on board account. I will ring them on Monday and see if I can get any answers.

There was an issue with their website upgrade a month back that caused some people to have extra charges added to their booking - it was a mistake. However, the amounts were more in the order of $10 or so, so that is also very high for that.

As above, best to check with them first before you pay. Some paid when it was only a couple of dollars and the glitch still didn't correct it anyway!