Epic 45% list

mandms40

Man did we rock! had a problem with the Stabilizers(is what the Captain said)and listed 45% back and forth about 5 times, liqueor fell off the shelves, people were getting hurt from falling. A lot of people went down to the customer service desk and camped out there, thinking this might be another Concordia, the workers even looked scared, husband was at the White Hot party at the aft Spice H2O and all the water went out of the hot tub. This happened after we left St. Thomas on our way to Bahamas.

I've been seeing a lot of reports of major movement on Epic lately. I wonder if the stabilizer problems are an ongoing issue. Getting a little nervous about our January sailing. I don't mind the movement but the rest of the fam would not be amused.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have been on Epic twice and had one very rocky trip. Water coming from the hot tubs and things falling off shelves is not that uncommon on cruise ships when there is rocky water. My first Epic cruise was on deck 17 and things routinely fell off shelves. But you are claiming the ship went to the side 20 degrees and then back the other side 20 degrees. That would be extreme and no wonder people camped out in the atrium. But that sort of extreme rocking would produce more damage than just water coming out of the hot tubs. I am sure we will here other stories shortly. Welcome home and glad you had a great cruise despite the rocking.

Edited by david_sobe

I was walking to white hot party in the very narrow studio hallway. The boat hadn't been rocky at all that day. Then all the sudden I was tossed into the wall and couldn't move since gravity pressed me against wall. This happened a few times against each wall and I was really worried since I was in an inside hall alone. Looking down the hall was interesting since the hall then appeared to be cockeyed. Once we stilled, a lot of ppl opened their cabin doors. No injuries in my area. Lots of crashing. Stewards whole cart tipped over. Ice buckets landed on beds and poor stewards had to change out bedding late into night. Katy perry never stopped singing, a cirque performer fell (didn't hear that he go hurt) and cirque went into intermission.

Captain was still talking about it the next day. It became the hot topic as people asked each other "where were you when it happened?"

I was on the balcony and in complete disbelief at first! Looked like the life boats were going to go into the water. DH was in the bathroom I went in to check on him and the bathroom door flew open. I then kinda ran into the bathroom wall (going with the flow of the ship). DH was calling my name, almost fell off the toilet! Stuff was flung all over the room but fortunately no one was hurt.

I was in the Epic theater, Katy perry was not even on stage at that time, one of the band members was playing his guitar and had to kneel down, I was dead center towards the front going side to side. Claim it was a technical glitch, the tried to put out the stabilizers & it made it worse. The first day was really rough for my son (14) & myself. Thankfully my mom told me she had patches. We had a great time, plan to cruise again, but would try a different ship for a change.

I was in the Epic theater, Katy perry was not even on stage at that time, one of the band members was playing his guitar and had to kneel down, I was dead center towards the front going side to side. Claim it was a technical glitch, the tried to put out the stabilizers & it made it worse. The first day was really rough for my son (14) & myself. Thankfully my mom told me she had patches. We had a great time, plan to cruise again, but would try a different ship for a change.

Sounds like I must have heard a rumor that Katy was on. It was rocky right out of miami. Maybe from the storm...

Not trying to diminish the scariness of what happened, but there must be a typo or a misunderstanding on the degree of list as a 45 degree list would be almost unrecoverable and the damage would be severe.

Most likely the message was that it was a four to five degree list.

Not trying to diminish the scariness of what happened, but there must be a typo or a misunderstanding on the degree of list as a 45 degree list would be almost unrecoverable and the damage would be severe.

As you said not to diminish folks experiences but yea, leaning 45 degrees would have caused a whole lot of casualties and damage on a ship that size.

45%20degree%20angle%20.jpg

Edited by ColinIllinois

Now I am scared. We are leaving to sail Epic next week. That type

of listing makes me very worried.

I'm sure anything that major must have been a random event. Doubtful it would happen again anytime soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Now I am scared. We are leaving to sail Epic next week. That type

of listing makes me very worried.

I sailed CCL Liberty in January 2012. In December 2011, there was a thread on the Carnival boards about the Liberty listing - pretty much like this thread. Anyway, my advise for you:

1. Insert a finger into each ear.

2. Open mouth and repeat this verbatim: "La, la, la I'm not listening!"

It worked like a charm for me as we had the smoothest seas all week.;)

I don't think this should scare anyone. While it was a scary moment I never thought it was going to be the end. It lasted a couple of minutes and mainly we were all talking about it because we wanted to know what happened. If we had been that worried everyone would have gotten off the ship in Nassau and flown home. It was just weird.

I just hope no one was hurt. There was also mention of a power outage and the captain mentioned a generator. Not sure what that was all about but we didn't notice anything.

A few minutes after we boarded in Nassau the captain came on to talk about an incident 20 mins before. Apparently there was a brief power outage.

I also heard the captain say 45 but now I'm guessing he said 4 to 5.

Future epic cruisers, don't fear. The staff seemed to say that was the first time they felt that and I don't think they were covering up.

A few minutes after we boarded in Nassau the captain came on to talk about an incident 20 mins before. Apparently there was a brief power outage.

I also heard the captain say 45 but now I'm guessing he said 4 to 5.

Future epic cruisers, don't fear. The staff seemed to say that was the first time they felt that and I don't think they were covering up.

With all that was happening it certainly is understandable that the Captain's message could be misunderstood. Most likely he said "4 to 5" and many heard "45".

Wow, definitely scary stuff! It does sound like it is more weather related than a ship issue though. I've been stalking the Epic's webcam since her return to Miami, I haven't really seen much great weather actually. The camera lens is more often than not covered with droplets of water and it is not located down low on the ship.

I am glad to hear that there were no injuries though. OP, thanks for letting us know.

Exactly what I was thing. That's how rumors get started. 45 degrees? No way.

We were in the elevator when it happened and it was very scary. DH is in the coast guard and his personal opinion is that it definitely was NOT 4 or 5...At first we thought it was a problem with the elevator so we got out on deck 10, I took my heels off and attempted to get up to 17 as fast as I could to check on my dad who was laying down. Our mini bar opened and everything was all over the floor, had all kinds of plates and snacks from the butler on our table which also fell all over the place.

It was over after a few minutes but was very scary not knowing what was happening.

As far as the power outage, yes there definitely was one. We were in the haven in the hot tub and everything shut off lol. We thought it was on a timer but then the captain came on and talked about it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To all reading,

Yes the epic did list massively probably to a maximum of 20 degrees, the sea was flat and it went back and forth a maximum of 10 maybe 12 times. We were on the top deck at the white party and many people lost their drinks etc., etc. the crew had a look of horror on their face and didn't know what to do, the first list the ship held it there for about 20 sec and then back to the opposite side for a long time again. If I am honest at the time I thought we weren't going to recover and thought it was going over! I have been across the bay of biscay during a storm and it reminded me of that but with no dramatic weather! It was all very slow motion and when the water emptied out of the pools and hot tubs I got my wife and friends and made it down to lower decks. My wife's exact words were "for you to get worried it must have been bad". A few people slid across the top deck hitting the glass railings so it had to be more than what the Captain described as 5 degrees!

I was most disappointed at being lied to by the crew on the evening who stated it was rough seas, I looked out my balcony and said bollocks. The next morning there wasn't a thorough explanation of what happened other than there was a stabiliser fault and the engineers sorted it as quickly as possible. He stated there was no more than a 5 degrees list but this is also rubbish! The ship as a whole was very nice, nowhere near as good sat the RCI OASIS OR ALLURE OF THE SEAS and the staff were rude compared to P&O, Cunard and RCI. There is a rocking problem with the epic and after speaking with the health and safety officer on board they have only built one of the class because she is a bad design. She was built in France and they are not having any more built there, if you look at their new breakaway she is slightly smaller and isn't as top heavy, also built in Germany, if EPIC was so EPIC why does she not have a sister ship or why do they not make another one, simple reason is she was a poor design and they have tried to compete with others and failed.

I don't believe at any point we were at risk although I will not be returning to another NCL ship the Jade was good but again staff were rude.

Have a good night all and just enjoy whatever you have booked, it is a nice ship!

Our fantastic and favourite bar man was pronounced "Wonwon" we gave him a good tip as he made drinks well and adapted them how you liked it, ie not too strong on colouring! Wonwon was at the h2o spice bar by the way, top deck adults only! Find him, he's well worth it!

Regards

Alistair

To all reading,

Yes the epic did list massively probably to a maximum of 20 degrees, the sea was flat and it went back and forth a maximum of 10 maybe 12 times. We were on the top deck at the white party and many people lost their drinks etc., etc. the crew had a look of horror on their face and didn't know what to do, the first list the ship held it there for about 20 sec and then back to the opposite side for a long time again. If I am honest at the time I thought we weren't going to recover and thought it was going over! I have been across the bay of biscay during a storm and it reminded me of that but with no dramatic weather! It was all very slow motion and when the water emptied out of the pools and hot tubs I got my wife and friends and made it down to lower decks. My wife's exact words were "for you to get worried it must have been bad". A few people slid across the top deck hitting the glass railings so it had to be more than what the Captain described as 5 degrees!

I was most disappointed at being lied to by the crew on the evening who stated it was rough seas, I looked out my balcony and said bollocks. The next morning there wasn't a thorough explanation of what happened other than there was a stabiliser fault and the engineers sorted it as quickly as possible. He stated there was no more than a 5 degrees list but this is also rubbish! The ship as a whole was very nice, nowhere near as good sat the RCI OASIS OR ALLURE OF THE SEAS and the staff were rude compared to P&O, Cunard and RCI. There is a rocking problem with the epic and after speaking with the health and safety officer on board they have only built one of the class because she is a bad design. She was built in France and they are not having any more built there, if you look at their new breakaway she is slightly smaller and isn't as top heavy, also built in Germany, if EPIC was so EPIC why does she not have a sister ship or why do they not make another one, simple reason is she was a poor design and they have tried to compete with others and failed.

I don't believe at any point we were at risk although I will not be returning to another NCL ship the Jade was good but again staff were rude.

Have a good night all and just enjoy whatever you have booked, it is a nice ship!

Our fantastic and favourite bar man was pronounced "Wonwon" we gave him a good tip as he made drinks well and adapted them how you liked it, ie not too strong on colouring! Wonwon was at the h2o spice bar by the way, top deck adults only! Find him, he's well worth it!

Regards

Alistair

I was just watching Breakaway on Mighty Ships. On the transatlantic, there was a storm in the Atlantic with major waves. The ship was tilted 4 degrees on one side which made for a rough ride on the upper decks. If the ship rocked 4 degrees both ways, that would be a major disruption and people could fall over. What is unlikely is the ship swinging 45 degrees. That would be a disaster and people would be majorly hurt and furniture would be flying everywhere.

However, just to swing 8 degrees (4 each way) would still be something out of the ordinary, which is something more likely you experienced.

Edited by david_sobe