Epic 45% list

mandms40

If some one was standing near the railings do you think it tilted enough to make them go over board (good forbid) but was it that strong? ?

Side note:if bar bridge opened and thing fell out and broke would you be responsible? ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

The more I read the more freaked out I am becoming. If the staff is worried and no one is being honest I don't want to go. If this is a badly designed ship that had a design flaw,I don't want to be on it. I was so excited about this cruise and now I am nervous. My 2 boys are in another cabin in another hall if something were to happen. Why would a ship list

if the seas are not rough??

If some one was standing near the railings do you think it tilted enough to make them go over board (good forbid) but was it that strong? ?

Side note:if bar bridge opened and thing fell out and broke would you be responsible? ?

There was lots of breakage and no, you were not responsible for it. We personally didn't have breakage, everything just rolled out of our mini bar all over our cabin.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow! I hope everyone is ok :)

I do think the Epic's design lends itself to a more rocky experience.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

I have to agree, earlier this year we were on deck 9 and felt a decent amount of movement. This time we were on deck 17 and I had to ask for medicine because I wasn't feeling good at all the first night. First time I ever felt seasick. I think it's true that the higher up you are the more you feel it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well I think someone posted that they keep their passports, money, cell phone and important stuff in a large zip lock bag. Just in case.

My lucky my xmas cruise will be on the news. .. Hope I'm prepared

I was on my balcony sitting in a chair when it started and it did not move. There were NO rough seas so I'm disappointed that a crew member would say that.

Please don't let this incident scare you away from a vacation you likely saved for and looked forward to. I really think this was an unusual circumstance and I haven't heard anyone say it ruined their trip. The 2nd cruise I went on we couldn't keep our drinks on the tables in the dining room the ship was rocking so bad one night. I still had a great time and it only lasted a few ours due to rough seas.

Epic was not my favorite ship for numerous reasons but I had a good time - always open to a new adventure.

While I don't doubt the list being reported, I have to say that the design of the ship doesn't have an influence on this incident. Many have sailed the ship before (me included) and she was very stable.

This whole movement thing is very new ... since she came back to Miami.

I am again going to throw out this question - does the captain of the ship have anything to do with all of this? Do some captain deploy the stabilizers and ballast less than others?

One member of staff said he got a little concerned when he could see water half way up his port window. Once again it was defiantly a ship malfunction and the captain does have overall control of all ship systems. Don't let it put you off, I've been and worked on many ships and it happens although this should not have happened. The design is very poor compared to many!

I was on this sailing and while it was a bumpy rock, there was nothing that wasn't corrected. we thought it was a stablizer problem and the ship slowed down quickly. It was a one time event.

The ship is gorgeous and the entertainment is amazing. The food was good and there are many good things about this voyage.

The more I read the more freaked out I am becoming. If the staff is worried and no one is being honest I don't want to go. If this is a badly designed ship that had a design flaw,I don't want to be on it. I was so excited about this cruise and now I am nervous. My 2 boys are in another cabin in another hall if something were to happen. Why would a ship list

Why would a ship list if the seas are not rough?

Why indeed....

I am not a marine expert, but from what I have gleaned from reading the previous posts, the Epic developed some kind of glitch in their stabilizers...

These are wing-like devices, that the crew can deploy below the water line, to counteract listing caused by swell, waves, or wind.

If they can do that, then it stands to reason that if they are accidentally deployed somehow in good weather, they can induce a stable ship to list in the same manner, until the problem is corrected.

Exacerbating the situation, is the seemingly top-heavy architecture of the Epic.

Again, I am not an expert, just my personal guess.....

There is a rocking problem with the epic and after speaking with the health and safety officer on board they have only built one of the class because she is a bad design. She was built in France and they are not having any more built there, if you look at their new breakaway she is slightly smaller and isn't as top heavy, also built in Germany, if EPIC was so EPIC why does she not have a sister ship or why do they not make another one, simple reason is she was a poor design and they have tried to compete with others and failed.

The reason Epic's sister ship was cancelled was a cost disagreement between the cruise line and the dockyard. Epic wasn't even in service (it was only 25% done) when the second ship was cancelled, on the opposite Epic was delayed because of that as the construction halted while they sorted out their disagreement.

Also while Epic is hidious IMO, there have been absolutely no reports that it would be badly designed as what comes to seaworthiness and has passed all the tests just like all other ships in the fleet - the bad design that is referred to concerns mainly the passenger areas, like no access to water etc and those things are taken into consideration while planning Breakaway class ships - they are more similar than not to the Epic.

What comes to the size differences between Epic class and Breakaway class, they are minimal. Only maximum of couple of meters in length and beam (less than 2%), and having one partial deck less than Epic, Breakaway is very, very similar on height and deck design too.

While I appreciate your witness story from onboard on this extraordinary event (never happened before, saying that Epic absolutely has a rocking problem after one incident is just incorrect), rest of your post was just spreading FUD (and apparently succeeding in it) because you don't seem to like NCL.

Having sailed EPIC 3 times, included the maiden transatlantic when the weather wasn't ideal... I found it had only slightly more motion than any other ship I've been on. This was clearly an anomaly, whether it was caused by human error or by mechanical fault....you can bet that in either case, it's being addressed.

Epic has been sailing continuously since June 2010, and before that was subjected to Sea Trials during which her seaworthiness was tested.

This is the first reported List. So I wouldn't worry about it being a design flaw.

The design is very poor compared to many!

Do you mean...like the ONES YOU IDENTIFIED IN ALL CAPS in your prior post?

As you said not to diminish folks experiences but yea, leaning 45 degrees would have caused a whole lot of casualties and damage on a ship that size.

45%20degree%20angle%20.jpg

Indeed 45 degree would put the promenade deck at or under water. Folks would have been thrown off the ship. A 10 degree list on a cruise ship is severe. 45 catastophic!

To all reading,

Yes the epic did list massively probably to a maximum of 20 degrees, the sea was flat and it went back and forth a maximum of 10 maybe 12 times. We were on the top deck at the white party and many people lost their drinks etc., etc. the crew had a look of horror on their face and didn't know what to do, the first list the ship held it there for about 20 sec and then back to the opposite side for a long time again. If I am honest at the time I thought we weren't going to recover and thought it was going over! I have been across the bay of biscay during a storm and it reminded me of that but with no dramatic weather! It was all very slow motion and when the water emptied out of the pools and hot tubs I got my wife and friends and made it down to lower decks. My wife's exact words were "for you to get worried it must have been bad". A few people slid across the top deck hitting the glass railings so it had to be more than what the Captain described as 5 degrees!

I was most disappointed at being lied to by the crew on the evening who stated it was rough seas, I looked out my balcony and said bollocks. The next morning there wasn't a thorough explanation of what happened other than there was a stabiliser fault and the engineers sorted it as quickly as possible. He stated there was no more than a 5 degrees list but this is also rubbish! The ship as a whole was very nice, nowhere near as good sat the RCI OASIS OR ALLURE OF THE SEAS and the staff were rude compared to P&O, Cunard and RCI. There is a rocking problem with the epic and after speaking with the health and safety officer on board they have only built one of the class because she is a bad design. She was built in France and they are not having any more built there, if you look at their new breakaway she is slightly smaller and isn't as top heavy, also built in Germany, if EPIC was so EPIC why does she not have a sister ship or why do they not make another one, simple reason is she was a poor design and they have tried to compete with others and failed.

I don't believe at any point we were at risk although I will not be returning to another NCL ship the Jade was good but again staff were rude.

Have a good night all and just enjoy whatever you have booked, it is a nice ship!

Our fantastic and favourite bar man was pronounced "Wonwon" we gave him a good tip as he made drinks well and adapted them how you liked it, ie not too strong on colouring! Wonwon was at the h2o spice bar by the way, top deck adults only! Find him, he's well worth it!

Regards

Alistair

20 Dergrees max roll perhaps, 10 each way. 20 degrees in a single direction? There would be people all over the ocean that flew over the side. The azipod would also have come partially out of the water and over spun and burnt out the electric motors. While I wasn't there and cannot possible know how much it did tip. I can can be fairly certain that ship did not tilt 20 degrees in one direction.

The azipod would also have come partially out of the water and over spun and burnt out the electric motors. While I wasn't there and cannot possible know how much it did tip. I can can be fairly certain that ship did not tilt 20 degrees in one direction.

Epic doesn't have azipods but traditional propellers, otherwise 100% correct. :)

I heard it was actually 90 degrees and while that may seem extreme supposedly it is NCL's new method of cutting down on the chair hog problem.

That may just be rumor though. I haven't verified it.

I like this theory.....I'm just picturing it :D

I heard it was actually 90 degrees and while that may seem extreme supposedly it is NCL's new method of cutting down on the chair hog problem.

That may just be rumor though. I haven't verified it.

That would definitely get rid of most chair hogs. But unfortunately it would also get rid of most of the chairs :(

A cruise ship listing 20 degrees in one direction is within the realm of possibility, but the damage doesn't seem to match an incident on that scale. Crown Princess experienced a similar incident several years ago after an officer began making successively harder and harder turns in response to an unusual autopilot maneuver. He eventually sent the ship into a 25 degree list that sent dozens to the hospital. Unless there were a lot of bruised and bloodied passengers, it's unlikely it ever approached 20 degrees.

Stabilizers can be programmed to induce a ship to roll. In fact, induced roll is often one of the many tests performed during sea trials before the handover. If the stabilizers are acting up, it's certainly possible they could cause a ship to list 4 or 5 degrees in absolutely calm seas.

Another question is coming to mind now with this stabilizer talk. Why were the stabilizers even being utilized if the seas were calm? I didn't think they were out all the time.

IF it had something to do with the stabilizers they may have been testing them or doing maintenance or doing some sort of ships drill.

I, too, experienced this incident. At the time, I was changing clothes in our balcony cabin on Deck 10. (This lower position could help explain the differences between others' perceptions and mine.)

It really was quite rocky, but only for a few minutes. Nothing fell out of our cabinets or off the shelves, and my half-finished drink remained upright.

I understood the captain to say that the list was "four to five degrees," and that matches pretty closely with my perception of the incident.

Based on six previous cruises, we found the experience unusual in that it began and ended so abruptly. But it seemed no more extreme than the heavy seas we've experienced at other times and places on other ships. It just came on much more suddenly and was gone just as suddenly.

Definitely exciting, but we didn't find it at all frightening.

The Epic is far from being my favorite ship (I love Princess) but I have no misgivings about her safety. We enjoyed the cruise and would happily sail on the Epic again if price and other factors were right.

IF it had something to do with the stabilizers they may have been testing them or doing maintenance or doing some sort of ships drill.

If the captains' intent was to test the stabilizers, wouldn't he let the passengers know? I ask this question because it would have been a planned test, and would think he'd let the crew and pax know.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app