Hopefully "Live" Ryndam So. Carib. 8 Dec - 22 Dec

Mtn2Sea

We're all crowding around the computer screen to read your review. Enjoying it very much as we anticipate our time aboard Ryndam in less than 2 weeks.

Agree with the captain. I wouldn't have waited for the mushrooms, as I have an allergy to mushrooms.

We have discovered the last few years that HAL has gone mushroom crazy. Mushrooms in many foods.

Thanks for the great review. On HAL are you able to order multiple dishes of each course at dinner as you can on other lines?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Why would you do that? Do you eat multiple dishes or just taste a bit of each and leave a huge amount of waste, which ultimately every cruiser pays for anyway.

Why would you do that? Do you eat multiple dishes or just taste a bit of each and leave a huge amount of waste, which ultimately every cruiser pays for anyway.

Why? Because I have a healthy appetite, wish to taste the varieties and for your own clarification and rudeness, I leave NO waste.

When I awoke this morning, I thought I was getting up early; however, when we returned to the cabin after breakfast, DW reads a card and says, oh, we were supposed to have set our clocks an hour ahead last night. So, when I thought I was getting up at 6 AM, I was actually getting up at 7. When I went out to the balcony, the sky was partly cloudy, but within 15 minutes, the clouds rolled in and rain began. Because our cabin is directly below thee Lido, we have an overhand extending out from the ship that protects our balcony from sun and rain. The drop in temperature, not the rain, drove me back inside. When we got to the MDR, we noticed it wasn’t crowded (thanks to our clocks being an hour off). In order to show something different in my photos, I ordered the Eggs Benedict, with a side order of turkey bacon (my motto is to have at least one healthy item each meal!). DW had the All American Breakfast. They were both good.

DSC_0010R_zpsacdaf8d2.jpg

DSC_0011R_zps57641427.jpg

When we were returning to the cabin, we noticed maintenance men a few cabins down from ours. When we got back to the room, we noticed a problem with the toilet. No big deal at the moment, but hopefully, they get things back in order soon. We are now berthed in San Juan between Royal Caribbean’s Independence of the Seas and Carnival’s Conquest. Got to go grab some lunch and then off exploring.

Oh Boy! I am LOVING this Live From......Mtn2Sea. . .and lovely photos. That bacon looked like I could lift it off the plate!

Therein lies the problem! I've learned to read the review after dinner to avoid dashing to the kitchen to get a quick fix between meals. Gosh, the food looks so good. Although most of us may know what the ship looks like, could we have some pics of the public rooms, please? With all the food pics, I'm starting to drool onto my keyboard. LOL.

Therein lies the problem! I've learned to read the review after dinner to avoid dashing to the kitchen to get a quick fix between meals. Gosh, the food looks so good. Although most of us may know what the ship looks like, could we have some pics of the public rooms, please? With all the food pics, I'm starting to drool onto my keyboard. LOL.

I binge ate a pgk of sunflower seeds after viewing that bacon!.. OK, back on topic and awaiting more spectacular photos and comments.

We went to the Lido for lunch prior to going ashore. I had the beef stroganoff over rice, which was tender and well seasoned, and DW had avocado with shrimp salad. Because we waited to go ashore, we didn’t encounter any lines. We began walking around and soon realized the pier area is a little different than when we were last here several years ago. Our plan was to catch the free trolley to the fort, but we had walked away from the stop where the open air tram that bypasses all the stores picks people up. We found a trolley stop and boarded a trolley, but couldn’t tell which route it followed. When we got to Stop One, we got off, as well as several other people wanting to go to the fort. After waiting a long time for the correct trolley, we grabbed a taxi and went to El Morro, where we toured for about 90 minutes. As we were leaving, a tram appeared right at the fort, so we hopped on, not knowing for sure if we were doing the right thing. We quickly found out from fellow riders that the tram went to the pier and soon realized we were traveling as fast at the taxi. We got off at Stop 14 so we could go to a nearby CVS to get a couple of items. We then walked back to the ship to get ready for tonight’s excursion.

Coming into San Juan.

DSC_0542R_zps4497896c.jpg

DSC_0555R_zpsa109c6b7.jpg

Old San Juan.

DSC_0562R_zps76181833.jpg

DSC_0560R_zps785dfaa4.jpg

DSC_0613R_zpsa4486a90.jpg

Why? Because I have a healthy appetite, wish to taste the varieties and for your own clarification and rudeness, I leave NO waste.

My question was certainly not rude. On the Volendam we did see people order two or three desserts and just take a spoonful of each. That, no matter how much people may argue they pay for the privilege, is disgusting waste. Obviously I was wrong assuming that that was your intent, and obviously you are like my brother-in-law and have a huge appetite, in which case bon appetit.

When we left for dinner, the toilet in our room was still not working, so before going into the MDR, you can guess where we stopped. The dining room at 6:00 PM was not very busy and we were able to get a table for two. I ordered the baked crab cakes with grits. When we summer in the North Carolina mountains, we go to our favorite cafe and I have shrimp and grits every Saturday. This was my first crab cakes and grits. I noticed the menu indicated the grits had jalapeño in them, but I didn't take that too seriously because, in the past, I've not found HAL's food to be very spicy hot. Well, my opinion has changed on that - I'll pay more attention to the description. Keep in mind that I'm not a fan of spicy food. The lady at the next table also had the crab cakes and she totally cleaned her plate. I asked how spicy she found the grits and she said they had just the right amount of heat. Of course, she's from Texas.

DSC_0022R_zps03917295.jpg

DW had the grilled chicken from the everyday menu.

DSC_0023R_zps77523d5f.jpg

For dessert, I had the pineapple crisp and DW had the watermelon sorbet. She had only a couple of bites because she needed to go to the room before leaving for our excursion. I must admit I ate all of my crisp and about half of the sorbet before leaving to meet back up together in the cabin.

DSC_0024R_zpsd64d8059.jpg

When we were leaving to meet up for excursion, the couple next door were also going to the forward elevators in order to exit the ship. I asked if they were having toilet issues and they responded no, but they had no a/c (next door is too close for that kind of problem!) AND their cabin had been flooded because a pipe burst in the cabin on the other side of them. They've complained about the a/c, but didn't get much of a response. I'll try to get a progress report later. Anyway, we boarded a bus for our trip to a restaurant where the Flamingo show was being held. Because I could not get my Verizon mifi hotspot to work on the ship (it kept going to the ship's system, which is what it does at sea), I took my netbook computer and the mifi device. While sitting on the bus, I got it working, but it stopped after the bus started moving. The mifi showed a strong signal, but no internet connection. When we returned to the terminal, I had an internet connection, but it disappeared right after I stepped off the bus, so it's back to the ship's internet.

The show consisted of three performers, a guitarist and two dancers. The guitarist looked older than I, but he could really make his guitar come alive! He periodically made a few jokes, but I don't know if he was really joking or being serious when he said he was a "retired" Latin lover. The show lasted approximately one hour and included one glass of Sangria. The show was very good. At one point, he needed two male volunteers. Of course, no one volunteered. He then pointed to me, but I held my ground. He eventually managed to get two passengers on stage. Here's a pic.

DSC_0030R_zpsb3feed98.jpg

When we returned to the ship, the toilet in our cabin worked! Yea, Yea, Yea! We spent about an hour at the piano bar listening to some wonderful music. Jamsheed Master is a great performer with over 2000 songs in his Request book.

Last shots for the day.

DSC_0042R_zps2c79a2d7.jpg

DSC_0046R_zpsbcf1353c.jpg

After a late breakfast in the Lido, we left for our excursion, which was the helmet diving at Coral World. Two other couples joined us, which meant only six of us went down, rather than the customary 10. The van ride took approximately 30 minutes. We were given a quick orientation and then signed a long waiver. Fortunately no one had a problem, so we didn’t need to go back and really read what we signed. Everyone seemed to love the excursion, even those who aren’t really water people. The helmet weighs about 75 pounds and they place it on you as you climb down a ladder just before your shoulders get wet. At first, the water currents move you around a little as you descend, but you quickly gain control while continuing down the ladder. We didn’t see a lot of fish, but the excursion was still quite an adventure.

PC130265R_zpsfa93ef75.jpg

PC130268R_zpsc17b86eb.jpg

PC130272R_zpsdb88a284.jpg

PC130296R_zps471ad3a5.jpg

PC130302R_zpsd3e984e8.jpg

PC130336R_zps15c9dc49.jpg

When we came up, we took a quick outdoor shower and then went to a changing room. They provide a locker for your things while you’re in the water. They also provide water shoes if you don’t bring your own and you do need that protection. We then had about an hour to explore Coral World on our own. Here’s a few shots of some colorful birds and aquariums. But first, we ran into this guy on the sidewalk.

PC130340R_zps29320229.jpg

PC130350R_zps638a7ee1.jpg

PC130377R_zpsb373026a.jpg

PC130381R_zps0ab69bcc.jpg

By the time we got back to the ship and up to the Lido, everything was closed except for sandwiches and salads. We had an enjoyable lunch with one of the couples from the excursion. I took leave to go back ashore to check out the stores at the end of the pier. The last time we were here, Crown Bay had no stores, just the pier. Lots of jewelry stores and, fortunately, nothing tempted me. The ship departed a few minutes before 5 PM. After dinner, we decided to forego the show by the Ryndam cast. Instead, we listened to Adagio for awhile, then moved to the piano bar, where Jamm filled the room with his presentation of “Music of Rogers & Hammerstein.” Jamm draws a crowd every night.

Oh, by the way, our next door neighbors with no a/c were moved to another comparable cabin one deck down. They’re much happier!

Your pictures are fabulous. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

About the desserts, I will often order a dessert and just eat one or two spoonfuls. I want to have the sweet end to my meal, but also can't afford all those calories.