My worse January cruise travel nightmare happening for some today

INCHARGE

Those cabin pictures are awesome . What ships have them? What category?

Hope it works out well.

We drive down to P.C. and to S.Florida. while weather is not an issue, we worry about flat tires, etc. Once we got into a fender bender on the day of a cruise. OHHH. Luckily the other car was not damaged..and our agent had been a High School Coach with my Dh..so he told us to park the car..take the cruise and call him when we got in... We did.

Our car had a tiny dent..so nothing came of it. We bought a new car soon after...his old one had OVErR 150,000 miles....so we never had it fixed. Still. I don't want that happening again. it could have been far worse.

Now we drive to Fort Pierce. Stay at the Hampton Inn there. or drive to Fort Lauderdale and stay at the Hampton Inn on Commercial Blvd. Not near the port, but we have stayed there a lot. They gave us a room when Hurricane Rita had the electric off for months it seemed. Lovely people. We like the area and the Staff.

I'm sorry, but I am just seeing your question. It is a 6k Scenic Ocean View on the Valor, conquest, Glory, and Sunshine. They are on the Lido deck.

I'm glad you were able to catch your cruise after the accident.

If it were me and I was flying in for a cruise from the north anytime between mid December thru the end of March I would plan to fly in the day before.

If your able to I would change your flights to give you that extra cushion before the start of your great vacation to be.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

We can't change the flights until the last minute, if needed, because of DH job. Thanks

Incharge, coming from Boston I understand the winter weather and its always one of my biggest concerns. Obviously you stated you can't fly the day before because of DH job plus Jet Blue charges $100 per person to change plus the cost of the additional fare. If the weather turns bad, they should give you the option to change for free. Hopefully then, DH can call in.

Most trip insurance covers for bad weather. Worse case, they'll fly you to join the ship in St. Thomas but I'm crossing fingers for you. I'm looking forward to meeting you in 34 days :)

If I were you I would fly in at least a day or two before. At least that way you would be there in time. I would pay the $100 change fee plus the difference in fare just for peace of mind.

I like that "never on a ship and a plane in the same day" policy. :) unfortunately for us, DH and another of the husbands are in Law Enforcement. You never know what will come up. Things are unpredictable at times, but it will work out. I panicked this morning because of the ice, and it is Sunday, the day of the week we leave. Put the fear in me for a minute, but I'm calm now. :)
Edited by awhcruiser

If I were you I would fly in at least a day or two before. At least that way you would be there in time. I would pay the $100 change fee plus the difference in fare just for peace of mind.

In 20 cruises, I have only flown in prior to the sail date once, and that was to spend a few days at Disney with the g-kids. Other than that I have always flown into Miami, Ft Lauderdale or San Juan non stop the morning of my cruise.

Special circumstances: I live in NY and the NY-Miami non stop air run is like a shuttle. Most of my cruises have been solo. I also have platinum status with two airlines and CCL. Maybe one day I'll miss a cruise or have to use an insurance policy, and that would be ok. So far, it hasn't happened.

Here's what I've saved so far: 20 hotel nights plus dinner and an extra transfer, or more than enough to pay for 2 cruises. I usually arrive at the cruise airport by 10 or 11 AM for a 4 o'clock sail away. I'm usually on the Lido deck by noon having lunch.

I usually book an 11AM or noon departure when returning; I've arrived at MIA as early as 8:30AM with carry off or priority debarking.

As she has stated numerous times, this is not possible due to husbands work. I understand her problem. Both me and my wife are LEO..

Good Luck with your flight

I understand people have to work and some have bosses

But I don't understand why wouldn't he request the extra day when requesting vacation? Does it not usually snow in your area?

What does being a LEO have to do with not being able to request a day off.

When we cruise from Con USA

If we drive..... its usually the night before unless its SF or Galveston

If Flying.... definitely the day prior

Hawaii and PR 2 days prior

Good Luck with your flight

I understand people have to work and some have bosses

But I don't understand why wouldn't he request the extra day when requesting vacation? Does it not usually snow in your area?

What does being a LEO have to do with not being able to request a day off.

When we cruise from Con USA

If we drive..... its usually the night before unless its SF or Galveston

If Flying.... definitely the day prior

Hawaii and PR 2 days prior

No, he did not request the extra day off. By the time he thought about it, his cover already approved to be off.

She should pay the change fee for her own ticket. At least she would get to the cruise on time.

As she has stated numerous times, this is not possible due to husbands work. I understand her problem. Both me and my wife are LEO..
Edited by awhcruiser

Bad weather almost affected one of our cruises..we ended up getting on the last flight and left in a blizzard and landed in the paradise of Florida! It was great. I always leave the night before the cruise..I'm leaving Friday for my Saturday cruise and thank god I am..but it's supposed to snow sat here in Chicago and it's going to be sunny fri! Phew!

Bad weather almost affected one of our cruises..we ended up getting on the last flight and left in a blizzard and landed in the paradise of Florida! It was great. I always leave the night before the cruise..I'm leaving Friday for my Saturday cruise and thank god I am..but it's supposed to snow sat here in Chicago and it's going to be sunny fri! Phew!

Have a wonderful cruise, away from the snow. :)

If it were me, I'd make every effort NOW to reschedule my flight out...change it to the day prior, & book a hotel room...any hotel room, lol, in SJ. I'd absorb the penalty...heck it'll cost more to join the ship at a later port!

Incharge, coming from Boston I understand the winter weather and its always one of my biggest concerns. Obviously you stated you can't fly the day before because of DH job plus Jet Blue charges $100 per person to change plus the cost of the additional fare. If the weather turns bad, they should give you the option to change for free. Hopefully then, DH can call in.

Most trip insurance covers for bad weather. Worse case, they'll fly you to join the ship in St. Thomas but I'm crossing fingers for you. I'm looking forward to meeting you in 34 days :)

Thanks for the info. Is it the airline insurance, or the Carnival insurance that would be handling this? I want to be armed with all the info needed, in case we have a problem. We got insurance thru Carnival, and air insurance is thru Alliance.

The issue I would worry about when deciding to head to another airport is that particular airport having the flights and seat avaialbility to get you to San Juan. While JetBlue may have a plane taking off from TPA or FLL, that does not mean you'll get on it or that it will get to SJU in time to sail.

The issue I would worry about when deciding to head to another airport is that particular airport having the flights and seat avaialbility to get you to San Juan. While JetBlue may have a plane taking off from TPA or FLL, that does not mean you'll get on it or that it will get to SJU in time to sail.

I am pretty sure they have about 5 flights a day out of fort lauderdale

and ship does not leave til 10 pm in SJ (9 last boarding..very last LOL)

now probably few flights from Tampa /West Palm...but still...

JMO- at this point it doesn't do much good to say "fly in early" since her hubby can't (yeah when I went to Alaska I flew in 3 days early haha)

I would personally talk turkey with a supervisor at Jet Blue - get some assurance of help getting flight from Florida

then roll the dice

IF it looks like it will get really bad, leave early enough and haul down to Florida, take Jax if you can but keep Fort lauderdale in mind....stay in touch with the airlines

On a happy note - we have had sunshine and 82 degrees today in Fort Lauderdale

I can NOT imagine what those poor people on the Pride are doing with all that snow on the lido YIKES :eek:

Thanks for the info. Is it the airline insurance, or the Carnival insurance that would be handling this? I want to be armed with all the info needed, in case we have a problem. We got insurance thru Carnival, and air insurance is thru Alliance.

I always buy travel insurance through either insure my trip dot com or quotewright dot com. Especially for me with a family of 5, it would cost so much more for us to get to the ship if we get stranded at the airport. It covers air, ship, hotel and any other noncancellable costs. I would think you'll be safe with the insurance you bought to cover both ends of the trip.

As I always say to my kids, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it :)

I've been incredibly lucky flying from Rockford on my favorite Allegiant Air, as well as Milwaukee and (Ugh) O'Hare during late fall and winter.

The only flight that was ever cancelled for us was a long connecting trip that would have stopped in DC for several hours. My daughter and I were returning from Valor when I returned a call from the airline telling me the flight had been cancelled due to weather, and accepted I an offer for a later flight. After getting off the bus at MIA, we found complete chaos at the airport and lots of angry travelers. I came upon a harried and miserable airline worker who was dealing with people in the lines, and I told her that we had no problem, but asked her as nicely as possible where we could find the line for our new flight. I think she was expecting me to argue with her like everyone else had been. She was so pleased at how we treated her that she walked us through the airport to the line that we needed, and then she gave me a hint to ask whether they had an earlier flight because one had recently been added. I did, and it was a direct flight, leaving in just 40 minutes! Scored on that one!

At any rate, I've seen enough Great Lakes winters to know that sooner or later weather is going to strike when I'm ready to leave on vacation. I have back up plans layered upon back up plans -- mostly involving driving to St. Louis, South Bend, Indianapolis, Nashville, Ashville, Atlanta, or what the heck, Jacksonville! Where ever necessary to catch a flight.

So far, looks like my flight this Friday is going to be okay. If not, got a full tank of gas...