Century & Solstice Alaska

jelayne

Looking at booking an Alaska cruise for Sept 2014. There is a 12 night Century that is $271 per person per night for a 2B. The Solstice is 11 nights at $177 per person per night for a 2B.

I have been on both ships and can't figure out why the higher cost for the Century. What am I missing??

There are probably twice as many 2B's on Solstice

That could be the reason. But the higher prices on the Century are not just 2B's. C1 - $75. Pp per day more. 2A $98 pp per day. All categories are higher on Century. Almost identical Itinerary, one different port - Century stops in Astoria, Solstice in Nanaimo.

This is an opportunity not a problem. :cool:

Being an S class ship, I would rather sail on a Solstice anyday over Century M class ship.

In fact I did the Alaska cruise on the Solstice last summer in July and loved it. :)

Edited by Shake

Looking at booking an Alaska cruise for Sept 2014. There is a 12 night Century that is $271 per person per night for a 2B. The Solstice is 11 nights at $177 per person per night for a 2B.

I have been on both ships and can't figure out why the higher cost for the Century. What am I missing??

I would guess it probably has a lot to do with demand. I would think Solstice Class is more appealing and popular than the Century. I certainly feel that way.

I would guess it probably has a lot to do with demand. I would think Solstice Class is more appealing and popular than the Century. I certainly feel that way.

I too think the Solstice is more appealing, which is why I can' understand the Century fares being so much higher.

I'm booking the Solstice - see no reason to pay $1700 more for the Century.

I would have to guess it is fuel and demand. Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is not to be missed. For the Bay Area folks, this is too convenient to pass up. This also means the ship sailing maybe 2X the distance of the Solstice.

I just checked the Celebrity app, and right now, for inside cabins for example, the 11-night Solstice is $1499, and the Century is $1399. Lower price for 1 more sailing day, so it's a better value dollars per night than the Solstice. Of course, then you have to weigh what you want in the cruise experience - new, larger ship Solstice, vs. smaller, intimate ship, Century.

I am booked on the Century (which is not an M class ship, as stated by another poster, it is the smaller Century class) for that sailing and it's biggest advantage for me is that it's sailing RT out of San Francisco, no flying needed! We like all three classes of Celebrity ships, but we recognize the differences between them to maximize our experience. For instance, we like to do some social dancing, and Solstice class ships don't really encourage that, with the only dance area being the lobby atrium. M class ships and Century ships have nice lounges and space to dance, with dark inviting lounge areas.

I am booked on the Century (which is not an M class ship, as stated by another poster, it is the smaller Century class) for that sailing and it's biggest advantage for me is that it's sailing RT out of San Francisco, no flying needed! We like all three classes of Celebrity ships, but we recognize the differences between them to maximize our experience. For instance, we like to do some social dancing, and Solstice class ships don't really encourage that, with the only dance area being the lobby atrium. M class ships and Century ships have nice lounges and space to dance, with dark inviting lounge areas.

The Atrium is not the only place to dance on S Class ships. Sky Lounge is a great dancing venue on S Class ships and the dance floor is double the size of the Atrium.

And if you like dark cozy lounges try the Esemble Lounge on the S Class. :cool:

I just checked the Celebrity app, and right now, for inside cabins for example, the 11-night Solstice is $1499, and the Century is $1399. Lower price for 1 more sailing day, so it's a better value dollars per night than the Solstice. Of course, then you have to weigh what you want in the cruise experience - new, larger ship Solstice, vs. smaller, intimate ship, Century.

You are correct the inside cabins were less on the Century, but the OV & Veranda's significantly higher.

We liked our cruise on the Century, but for the savings and Aqua/Blu we have booked the Solistice. We have to fly either way so not a factor for us. We enjoy dancing also and have many enjoyable evening dancing on both the Century & in the Skye Lounge on the S class ships.

The Atrium is not the only place to dance on S Class ships. Sky Lounge is a great dancing venue on S Class ships and the dance floor is double the size of the Atrium.

And if you like dark cozy lounges try the Esemble Lounge on the S Class. :cool:

True, the Sky Lounge does have a large dance floor,but it's usually DJ music or the party band. We more prefer the dance quartets or Celebrity orchestra for ballroom dancing, and there's no dancefloor in the Ensemble lounge. The Solstice class has no equivalent of the Rendevous Lounge like on M class ships, where it's dark cozy and with a dance floor.

That's why I said, different ships give you a different experience and we just adjust our cruise mode depending on the ship. We just love to be onboard, any ship.