Drink Cup Question

I purchased the pkg for the kids on the previous cruise. They got their cups and work great. I was wondering if you go on another cruise can the same cup be used? or does RCCL give you a new cup? Do you buy a new pkg? Thanks for the help!

The packages are for the current cruise only. Yes, you could bring an old cup, and there may be some venues on the ship that would refill it without checking the seapass, but they should check each seapass to ensure the passenger purchased the package for that cruise.

If you mean the Freestyle machine cups, those would not work after the current cruise, because the internal chip has an expiration date.

Wow, that would be great if one could purchase the package on his or her first cruise and not have to purchase it again -- but it would not make much financial sense for the cruise line, to say the least.

Have a great cruise!

I will bring mine to my next cruise but just to get some lemonade from the WJ without having to go over and over to get glasses. I dont think it will work since like somebody already said, it has an expiration date. Mine was valid for 2 weeks even I was on the cruise for a week only. They dont have the soda machine on the Jewel though. I dont even drink soda anyway, I dont even know why I got it in the first place :p

I am an honnest person. I very well could cause between my DW and I we have 8 cups in the basement collecting dust.. But I will buy a new one each time. in my honest opinion stealing is wrong,

I was wondering about the same thing about my cup from our cruise earlier this year. I tend to use it every day. So thought I would bring it this year in case the new cups are not the same. I had not thought about getting pop for free just because I was bringing an old cup. I just like my old cup.

On my recent Allure cruise, I brought all my old cups (8 of them) with me to try them in the machine. Now before anyone attacks me, I also purchased the soda package on this cruise, so I was not attempting to steal anything. It is just that in the room, I would like two cups worth of soda to drink during the night. So what I did was fill up my this cruise issued cup and put it into an old cup. Then 15 minutes later I filled up the issued cup again.

Anyways, all the old cups had expired, so none of them worked. With the cup I received, the expiration date is actually displayed on the screen of the freestyle machine, and was actually at the end of the next cruise! So if I had done a back to back, I could have used the same cup for both cruises. I threw away all the old cups. I had no need to bring them home, as I never used them.

Since I primarily drink caffeine free diet coke, I pretty much use the freestyle machine, but the one time I went to a bar, they needed to see my card.

Edited by reedl

I will bring mine to my next cruise but just to get some lemonade from the WJ without having to go over and over to get glasses. I dont think it will work since like somebody already said, it has an expiration date. Mine was valid for 2 weeks even I was on the cruise for a week only. They dont have the soda machine on the Jewel though. I dont even drink soda anyway, I dont even know why I got it in the first place :p

It will work with lemonade in the windjammer based on the fact that your next cruise is Jewel and it doesn't have the Freestyle machines. On some ships, there may be signs saying refilling of drink containers is not allowed. That is for sanitary purposes because some people are stupid. I see it on ships all the time and even here at my work. People feel like they have to put their containers right up against the nozzles, or the nozzles down inside their containers, so basically your saliva is being rubbed on the nozzles. If you take the standard RC container, take the lid off and keep the cup at least 6" away you should be good.

Guest maddycat

I don't buy the soda package since I don't drink soda. But I have a question for those of you who do. Do you wash the cup during the cruise? If so, where?

I don't buy the soda package since I don't drink soda. But I have a question for those of you who do. Do you wash the cup during the cruise? If so, where?

Bathroom Sink.. Just give it a good rinse once in awhile

I don't drink soda either, but every cabin has a sink that gives hot water. I've used the all purpose shampoo/conditioner/shower gel in the showers to wash out clothes, so I'm guessing it would work for the cups as well.

I purchased the pkg for the kids on the previous cruise. They got their cups and work great. I was wondering if you go on another cruise can the same cup be used? or does RCCL give you a new cup? Do you buy a new pkg? Thanks for the help!

More and more servers check these days. Also, the cup design changed 4 months ago.

I wasn't expecting to not pay for our drink pkg. It would be nice if somehow we could use our previous cups and have RCCL scan it somehow so we're not having to collect so many cups. Using them for the lemonade is a great idea. Thanks!

Bizarre logic.

But I suppose some people would use any excuse if it helped them get a freebie.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, the RFID chips in the cups can be reprogrammed - one of ours on our Allure cruise went bad during the cruise (it expired on day 2) and we were directed to Sorrentos where they had a machine that updated the chip. The plunked it on, pushed a few buttons, and the chip was refreshed with a new expiry date. IIRC it was actually a 30 day expiry from that point forward and it worked great for the rest of the cruise.

...so, if you were environmentally conscious and wanted to "reuse" your old cup on a new cruise I suppose you could bring them along, pay for the package, and then ask for your old cup to be reprogrammed. I guarantee every ship has the programmer somewhere onboard. We never saw it on Explorer, Enchantment, or Allure (unlike Allure where it was out in the open), but it's there SOMEWHERE on every ship.