Rude neighbors, what can you do?

cmitch9999

Just back from the Carnival Victory and the group in the next cabin had loud laughing, talking and noise at 4:40 AM and 3:30 AM , 2 of the 4 nights on cruise. We banged on wall first night but they still carried on, 2 nd night we called guest services and they alerted security who had to come 2 x to get them to quiet down. Couldnt get back to sleep that last morning.

Left a negative impresion overall to cruise.

Any ideas on something to do? They argued with the security staff for 10 minutes when they came to their cabin.

Inless security was to arrest or throw them off the ship at the next port what else could you do? Maybe ask for a cabin move? It's very sad but if you was to confront them and start a argument you could get tossed as well

Some people are just rude.

Sorry this happened to you

It honestly sounds like you did just about everything you could do, short of knocking on the door and confronting them yourself, which could turn into potentially an even worse situation.

Perhaps calling security on the first night, would have stopped it from happening on the second. . Some people do not care they are being rude.

Security won't do much - had horrible young "adults" - drunks in our hallway on a 3 night Glory...it was nuts

One reason I prefer the longer Carnival cruises. 8 night on Freedom from Ft Lauderdale - nice fellow cruisers. 3 night (after her upgrade) cruise on Glory??

awwwgh

we had halls full of dirty dishes, drunks, the gal next to us would scream and cry and threw her boyfriend out - he sat/slept outside our door we had to move him to get in cabin....security was there again and again and it did NOT get better

Carnival never sends me a questionaire - but I wrote a nasty review about them LOL

We always have those foamy earplugs with us when we travel.

I have only had to use them once in a hotel pre-cruise, but they were well worth the $2.50. I leave them in the suitcase at all times so they are there if needed. Also, they are available at Guest Services free of charge if you need them.

Sorry this put a damper on your vacation.

Some people do not care they are being rude.

Some are unaware that what they are doing is rude, in addition to not caring if they are.

OP, rude people are everywhere and if you travel you increase the odds of running into them.

What can you do? Avoid those short 3 and 4 night cruises for starters. Although you'll find rude people on longer cruises ( 7 days or more), there will be fewer of them. Along with contacting security, I would have asked to speak to the hotel manager. Just like in the military, sometimes you have to go up the chain of command to get satisfactory results.

amazing, had the same experience on the Victory, actually will not book on it anymore. We had our cabin moved and ended up being downgraded and the only compensation was dinner in the steakhouse. But I agree, 6 day or shorter you get a different clientele on the ships. Security will help to some extent but usually nothing changes. Complain enough and you might get a discount on a future cruise.

As for fighting fire with fire, do that and you risk getting any assistance at all. Careful the path you take as you will either dig your own grave or make things better depending your path.

Neighbors next to me were fighting in afternoon. Security was there in a flash. Separated them right off the ship since he damaged the cabin door by slamming it.

Course, it was the "honeymooners" above me one cruise that were making way more annoying noise.

Don't be soft..fight fire with fire. I would bring a blue tooth wireless speaker and blast justin bieber or other crappy music till they beg you to stop lol

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher

We got a call one time from a citizen well known to us for a long standing tenent/landlord dispute

Seems she and the landlord were at it again and in retaliation, the landlord went into the vacant half of the duplex nextdoor to her . Turned on a huge old style Boom Box (remember the ones the size of a Buick? ), turned on some headbanging music full blast, locked the place up and took off.

amazing, had the same experience on the Victory, actually will not book on it anymore. We had our cabin moved and ended up being downgraded and the only compensation was dinner in the steakhouse. But I agree, 6 day or shorter you get a different clientele on the ships. Security will help to some extent but usually nothing changes. Complain enough and you might get a discount on a future cruise.

As for fighting fire with fire, do that and you risk getting any assistance at all. Careful the path you take as you will either dig your own grave or make things better depending your path.

I agree on the fighting fire with fire. Also, what about your other neighbors? :(

1. Identify the problem cabin and be certain about that.

2. Contact the other cabin, on the other side of them

to see if they too are having the same negative experience as you are.

They most likely are!

3. Gain the other cabin's co-operation in complaining to Security on the first possible night.

Don't wait til it becomes unbearable, halfway thru your ruined sleep and cruise.

Connect with them by phone: just dial their cabin number...NOT the problem cabin.

You don't interact with the problem cabin at all.

When TWO or three cabins on either side, and maybe those across the hallway too

are complaining, something will get done! :)

It's too easy for Guest Services and Security to ignore just the one grumbling cabin

but when all cabins surrounding the problem cabin are complaining

that's another matter altogether! ;)

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher

We got a call one time from a citizen well known to us for a long standing tenent/landlord dispute

Seems she and the landlord were at it again and in retaliation, the landlord went into the vacant half of the duplex nextdoor to her . Turned on a huge old style Boom Box (remember the ones the size of a Buick? ), turned on some headbanging music full blast, locked the place up and took off.

haha never a boring day as a cop..

Thanks for the feedback and sympathy. Agreed that the short cruise does seem to cater to a less polite and respectful population. The rude neighbors were on the end of the hallway so I don't know if other cabins were affected like we were but I did hear something from secruity while they were arguing about the number 4 so maybe more complained than we did.

I was happy to be home in my own bed last night and the only rude awakening was my alarm clock saying BACK to work!!

May you all have peaceful nights at sea!

Unless squeals of delight ;)

You pester guest services until they do something about it. We have done it in the past.

Just keep calling them till they no longer answer. About every 10 minutes. Them give GS a visit.

It is not up to you to confront the offender.

Devil's advocate here for a minute...

There's always a chance that they don't realize either how loud they are being, or how well it penetrates the cabin walls.

The first thing I'd do is go over and knock on the door, politely asking them if they could keep it down. Failing that I'd leave it to security.

Once you bang on the wall you've lost all chance to keep it civil. If the wife and I were making that much noise (highly unlikely, but we can get drunk too) and someone started banging on the wall, there's very little chance we'd do more than get louder. Now if someone came over and pointed out our rudeness nicely, that'd shut us right up.

Just saying, you get better results being nice than you do returning rudeness with more rudeness.

Edited by Iandidar
Changed some wording