New Menus

pamrose228

On his FBI page, JH said even though they are not on the menu, you can request shrimp cocktail and fruit plates every night.

Hmmmm maybe I'll cruise Carnival after all, I love that you can get a shrimp cocktail every night on Royal, so this is definitely a huge plus for me :D

Carnival is very good at marketing. They pay people very well to come up with strategies that purport to be something brilliant but are actually something that will further line their pockets. I believe this to be the case with the dining changes. I love Carnival, I have never had a bad cruise with them but the new menu really is a major disappointment for me personally. I guarantee that some of the more popular food choices that so many have mentioned here were purposely left off the new menus so they can "tweak" them and bring them back and say, "see, we do listen to our customers". It's all part of the marketing strategy. They'll bring back one or two items to make it a little more like the old menu, it will appease many, they will score a PA victory, and the new menus will be the norm until the next brilliant idea comes along. The disappointment I have with the new menus won't necessarily dissuade me from ever sailing on Carnival, but it will certainly give me reason to branch out to other cruise lines and not be as loyal, or as committed to them as I have always been.

From the Grill: This is the new version of the Everyday menu. Gone are the hamburgers and Indian Vegetarian items. It does offer you a daily option of a chicken, steak, pork chop, or fish dish.

A hamburger has always been available from the Kid's menu, if no where else.

Some better steaks are offered on the grill menu.

The new menus are just another in a long string of downgrades on CCL. The current shows are a step below a good high school show, and the DJ's instead of a good band are just as sorry!! The only 2 items better, are Guy's Burgers, and Pizza.

I have cruised 2 CCL ships and 1 RCL ship this year, and there is NO COMPARISON. Shows are better, the co-cruisers are more courteous, service is SUPERIOR, and the overall experience is much more enjoyable.

Sorry Carnival, but new menus and the Cat in the Hat will not bring new business!! :D:D

One thing about the current menu (& by the looks of the new menus) that DH & I noted on our recent Breeze cruise is THE LACK OF vegetables.

Unless you order a salad, the Vegies do not really exist.

If they are listed as a side with an entree, the amount served is so miniscule.

6-7 Green Beans? 3 tablespoons of cooked spinach...yuk.

It seems Vegies are an after thought....merely garnish.

It would be smart of Carnival to catch up on the trend towards more healthful eating for those who enjoy it.

We, personally, are not health nuts, but do have Vegies as about 1/3 of our dinner plates at home.

How about some more carrots, peas, green beans, Cali mixed, etc.....

They could at least offer a few as side dishes....the sides seem pretty much starch choices only.

One thing about the current menu (& by the looks of the new menus) that DH & I noted on our recent Breeze cruise is THE LACK OF vegetables.

It would be smart of Carnival to catch up on the trend towards more healthful eating for those who enjoy it.

We, personally, are not health nuts, but do have Vegies as about 1/3 of our dinner plates at home.

They could at least offer a few as side dishes....the sides seem pretty much starch choices only.

And the new menus have far fewer salads!

The new menus are just another in a long string of downgrades on CCL. The current shows are a step below a good high school show, and the DJ's instead of a good band are just as sorry!! The only 2 items better, are Guy's Burgers, and Pizza.

I have cruised 2 CCL ships and 1 RCL ship this year, and there is NO COMPARISON. Shows are better, the co-cruisers are more courteous, service is SUPERIOR, and the overall experience is much more enjoyable.

Sorry Carnival, but new menus and the Cat in the Hat will not bring new business!! :D:D

I agree wholeheartedly! Princess shows are also far superior to the horrid Playlist Productions, so that's where we'll spend the majority of our cruise dollars.

I am guessing vegetables and fruits are the highest wasted item on the ship. Can't freeze them like meat. They probably go bad. Maybe it is a huge savings to eliminate vegetables, salads and fruits.

Overall, I like the new menus. I for one was bored with the old menus. New menus will never please all of the cruising public. The best that CCL can do is please a majority with the daily budget that CCL sets for provisions.

With this said, I will miss the table clothes not being on the tables every night. Once again, this is my personal viewpoint. Others have stated they are not bothered by it.

As this thread proves some are happy and others are not.

JH posted a revised American Feast, with an addition of soup,.salad and desserts.

* BEEF TENDERLOIN

Creamy hummus

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

Traditional cocktail sauce

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

Spinach, romano cheese, fine herbs

LOBSTER BISQUE

Aged brandy

FOUR SEASON SALAD

Lettuce, corn, cucumber, tomato

CAVATELLI WITH PESTO, SQUASH PUREE

AND PEPERONATA

Ricotta cheese

MISO MARINATED SALMON FILLET

Sesame rice cake, mushroom medley, ginger-soy vinaigrette

CHESAPEAKE CRAB CAKE

Asparagus, herb remoulade

* FILET MIGNON

Horseradish potato puree, string beans,

red wine sauce

SPANAKOPITA AND STUFFED BELL PEPPERS

Greek pie with layers of phyllo dough, spinach, tomatoes, feta cheese

and couscous stuffed peppers

Items from the grill available upon request.

STICKY TOFFEE BRIOCHE WITH FOUR TOPPINGS

CARNIVAL'S MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE

FRESH FRUIT SALAD

Sugar free dessert on request.

So, you've tried the new menu and are speaking from experience?

The vegetable changes are one of the reasons why I like the new menus. I like more veggies that what they served and I'm happy to have choice of what i can order (and not just the bland broccoli, cauliflower and carrots you used to get ordering extra veggies).

On the Cozumel menu, there are 2 appetizer salads (Roasted Broccoli salad, kale or romaine caesar salad) and 3 side veggie choices (broccoli, carrots and pearl onions or ratatouille or greek salad).

I would love to order the steak, ratatouille and greek salad (plus the chicken tortillia soup for an appetizer).

Carnival is very good at marketing. They pay people very well to come up with strategies that purport to be something brilliant but are actually something that will further line their pockets. I believe this to be the case with the dining changes. I love Carnival, I have never had a bad cruise with them but the new menu really is a major disappointment for me personally. I guarantee that some of the more popular food choices that so many have mentioned here were purposely left off the new menus so they can "tweak" them and bring them back and say, "see, we do listen to our customers". It's all part of the marketing strategy. They'll bring back one or two items to make it a little more like the old menu, it will appease many, they will score a PA victory, and the new menus will be the norm until the next brilliant idea comes along. The disappointment I have with the new menus won't necessarily dissuade me from ever sailing on Carnival, but it will certainly give me reason to branch out to other cruise lines and not be as loyal, or as committed to them as I have always been.

I absolutely think your right on target when you say that some very popular items were purposely left off so Carnival could bring them back as a response to the feedback. The video of the Carnival VP answering questions that is part of one of these threads and the new additions also listed today are just not in character for Carnival. It all happened too fast and it was very slick staging in terms of the video. All too neatly packaged and quick, especially for a company not good at rolling out new strategies.

• 3 weeks later...

See ya

I for one am excited about the new menus and look forward to trying them out. Change is good and these menus look modern, bright and refreshing. I don't see this as a downgrade or a cutback as others have stated. If anything, it's an upgrade from the old, tired and boring choices. Better cuts of beef, updated flavors, new desserts, what's not to like? We have been dining in the steakhouse more and more because of the old, dated menus, so this change is a bonus in my eyes.