Request for Help with Alaska Itinerary

tymike

WOW! I am overwhelmed by the number and the amount of information in the responses! Thank you so much to everyone! I wasn't able to check CC last night so I had no idea what was waiting for me after work today. Fabulous! It will take me some time to digest everything and watch all the videos and view the pics but I want to thank everyone very, very much!!:):)

People tend to be fairly passionate about Alaska. I know other destinations are great and all of that, but Alaska is special. I -- like most who go -- will talk about it ad nauseum to anyone who will listen. It truly is a magical journey. Enjoy your time there!

People tend to be fairly passionate about Alaska. I know other destinations are great and all of that, but Alaska is special. I -- like most who go -- will talk about it ad nauseum to anyone who will listen. It truly is a magical journey. Enjoy your time there!

I for one am so excited to go to Alaska, but it is definitely a stretch for me because I'm not altogether crazy about the cold (grew up outside of Chicago and remember my hair freezing in the cold after high school swim team practice:) ) but the scenery looks unbelievable and I really want myself and the people I love to see it before it eventually becomes possibly different.

I really don't know much about the locale etc. so, I love hearing opinions, information and anything having to do with this trip in the next year and half (is it really that far off???). Thanks again!!

Best of both worlds...book that excursion on the Pearl (it's offered on that cruise as well) then do Glacier Bay!

Thank you to both of you that have recommended this!! How does it work to go before the cruise? Sorry...I'm totally naive about Alaska but want to optimize on the possibilities!!

Does this itinerary hit the main AK spots? What is missing? Do other lines (blasphemy!) offer better or longer sights/ports? And I'd love to see more recs on must do excursions!

If you can do a one way on the Sun, Northbound is the one to do - it goes to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Southbound only goes to Glacier Bay - which is no slouch by any means. And Hubbard is better late in the season because they can get in closer to the glacier.

My only hesitation on the Sun is that they took out the Spinnaker when it was all the way forward and turn that area into suites. Great for the people in suites, but not for those not in suites and would like an indoor viewing area besides the buffet areas.

My only hesitation on the Sun is that they took out the Spinnaker when it was all the way forward and turn that area into suites. Great for the people in suites, but not for those not in suites and would like an indoor viewing area besides the buffet areas.

The Observation Lounge was still there in May when I was last on the Sun.

If you can do a one way on the Sun, Northbound is the one to do - it goes to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Southbound only goes to Glacier Bay - which is no slouch by any means. And Hubbard is better late in the season because they can get in closer to the glacier.

Sun still has a great observation lounge with doors to outside deck in front of it. Maybe you're thinking of the deck 12 remodels on the Star and Dawn.

Has anybody sailed on the Sun in Alaska. We were thinking about the Sun for August 2015 because it leaves from Seward, AK and goes to Vancouver.

Any advice would be helpful.

Excellent 5 STAR choice did this cruise July 2013 boarding in Whittier ***** !

Best routing is the South bound trip time to relax and enjoying cruising !

Not packing and unpacking every night from the ground tour package

post cruise. Time was a bit short in Juneau but otherwise not rushed.

Enjoy !!!!!

Am thinking of take an Alaska cruise as well. Would like to leave from Seattle RT. Do all the ships travel the inner passage or only some of them. Looking at the itineraries I really can't tell if they do (and which ones) or if they don't.

Harriet

I am not positive on this but from I have gathered only the south bound ships

do the inside passage (Ketchikan to Vancouver) and then weather permitting

factor. In July this year on the SUN encountered fog and it lifted at the very

last moment permitting us to sail the intended course. There are portions

where the passage is too narrow to allow the safe passage of ships going

opposite directions - therefore it is a one-way passage ?

North bound ships travel the Ocean side of Vancouver Island ???

Maybe a more seasoned traveler might comment further but that is my

experience on my three cruises to/from Alaska.

3 of my 4 cruises have been to AK - all on NCL - the first two were Sawyer Glacier cruises on the Sky and the last was Glacier Bay on the Pearl in 2012. Hands down all of the cruises were special - AK is special. When we did the Sawyer Glacier cruises the small boat tours were not offered on the cruise lines - a lot has changed in the 10 yrs between those cruises and the Pearl.

Since we had visited Juneau on the previous cruises, we opted to take the Tracy Arm Explorer offered by NCL through Allen Marine - so in 2012 we saw both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Glad we did since we saw much more calving at Sawyer Glacier than in Glacier Bay. But as always YMMV. There are lots of things to do in Juneau and it is one of the best places to see whales so I am not sure I would recommend taking the Glacier Bay Explorer (which uses all of the time the Pearl is in port) unless glaciers and scenic cruising are at the top of your list.

Here is a website I found that might help you with what to do in each port http://www.cruiseportinsider.com I also found that in AK it is sometimes cheaper to use local guides rather than go through the cruise line. They go to the same places - usually in smaller buses with local guides. There are lots of different opportunities in Skagway - the port that you will spend the most time in.

As far as the Sun goes - I would take the Northbound trip because it visits both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier- the Southbound trip skips Glacier Bay and visits Icy Point Strait instead.

There have been some discussions here about the inside passage - there have been many debates on the AK board about this as well. Most of the debate revolves around the waters of Vancouver Island - ships that depart Seattle travel on the outside or windward side of the Island - you spend the better part of your first full day in these open waters on day two you enter the inside passage and travel to Juneau or Ketchikan (Pearl, Jewel) You also spend a similar amount of time on your return to Seattle via Victoria BC. Cruises that leave from Vancouver BC travel on the inside or leeward side of the island and have a short run of open ocean before hitting the passageway to Juneau or Ketchikan. The advantages of this route is that you do not have to make a stop at Victoria. Some people will say that this route is more scenic - however you go through the area between the mainland and the island during the night. Google the Seymour Narrows and Johnstone Strait

One thing I will say - you will probably not do just one AK cruise - there is just too much to see.

3 of my 4 cruises have been to AK - all on NCL - the first two were Sawyer Glacier cruises on the Sky and the last was Glacier Bay on the Pearl in 2012. Hands down all of the cruises were special - AK is special. When we did the Sawyer Glacier cruises the small boat tours were not offered on the cruise lines - a lot has changed in the 10 yrs between those cruises and the Pearl.

Since we had visited Juneau on the previous cruises, we opted to take the Tracy Arm Explorer offered by NCL through Allen Marine - so in 2012 we saw both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Glad we did since we saw much more calving at Sawyer Glacier than in Glacier Bay. But as always YMMV. There are lots of things to do in Juneau and it is one of the best places to see whales so I am not sure I would recommend taking the Glacier Bay Explorer (which uses all of the time the Pearl is in port) unless glaciers and scenic cruising are at the top of your list.

Here is a website I found that might help you with what to do in each port http://www.cruiseportinsider.com I also found that in AK it is sometimes cheaper to use local guides rather than go through the cruise line. They go to the same places - usually in smaller buses with local guides. There are lots of different opportunities in Skagway - the port that you will spend the most time in.

As far as the Sun goes - I would take the Northbound trip because it visits both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier- the Southbound trip skips Glacier Bay and visits Icy Point Strait instead.

There have been some discussions here about the inside passage - there have been many debates on the AK board about this as well. Most of the debate revolves around the waters of Vancouver Island - ships that depart Seattle travel on the outside or windward side of the Island - you spend the better part of your first full day in these open waters on day two you enter the inside passage and travel to Juneau or Ketchikan (Pearl, Jewel) You also spend a similar amount of time on your return to Seattle via Victoria BC. Cruises that leave from Vancouver BC travel on the inside or leeward side of the island and have a short run of open ocean before hitting the passageway to Juneau or Ketchikan. The advantages of this route is that you do not have to make a stop at Victoria. Some people will say that this route is more scenic - however you go through the area between the mainland and the island during the night. Google the Seymour Narrows and Johnstone Strait

One thing I will say - you will probably not do just one AK cruise - there is just too much to see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Based on everything that I have read so far, I appears that either the Jewel/Pearl will be good options as well as the Sun going Northbound. We are going to be travelling with my in-laws who have never been on a cruise. Would it be better for them to experience Alaska on a smaller ship like the Sun or enjoy a new ship like the Jewel or Pearl?

I also think that flying to Seattle from the east coast is cheaper than going to Seward, AK. Any comments.

I am not positive on this but from I have gathered only the south bound ships

do the inside passage (Ketchikan to Vancouver) and then weather permitting

factor. In July this year on the SUN encountered fog and it lifted at the very

last moment permitting us to sail the intended course. There are portions

where the passage is too narrow to allow the safe passage of ships going

opposite directions - therefore it is a one-way passage ?

North bound ships travel the Ocean side of Vancouver Island ???

My northbound itinerary on the Sun did the inside passage.

This year the Jewel offered a glacier explorer excursion that left Juneau a bit before the Jewel sailed out. The excursion was able to run ahead and see whales and wildlife and get dang close to the 2 glaciers up Tracey Arm. Got right up to a waterfall, sailed through all the icebergs with the cute little seals. We even saw a 'shooter' as we were getting ready to leave the channel. Truly a great experience. We joined up with the Jewel as it was turning around. I don't know what is offered on the Glacier Bay as I haven't done that, but I sure am glad we took the opportunity to go on this excursion - that experience really 'made' that cruise for us.

If you don't mind me asking what was the exact name of this excursion you took? There are a few on there that seem to be similar but would like to know which one you used.

I also think that flying to Seattle from the east coast is cheaper than going to Seward, AK. Any comments.

Just FYI, for the Sun, you would fly out of Anchorage. It's not far from Whittier (not Seward, though they're near each other) and there are several transit options.

There is one pinch point called the Seymour Narrows where ships can only pass during the right tide time and also must go single file - beyond that the passages in the Johnstone Strait are wide enough for two ships to pass easily. Fog makes things difficult anytime and anywhere. Even with the pilots (who supposedly know the area like the back of their hands) calling the shots. BTW the narrows is where ships will rush to get to and then wait until their time to surf them.

I have watched on ship trackers where ships deviate from their planned course, because of weather - it is hard to make any headway into a 23kn wind so the ships find a place to get out of it and hide (so to speak) until the storm passes. I also saw the Jewel and Pearl go on the inside of Vancouver Island if the weather on the outside was too bad - your exact route is always up to the captain.

As to the difference between 2000 and 2500 pax (the Sun vs the Jewel and Pearl) it is not that much - and I really loved the Pearl - I never felt like it was crowded at anytime. The Jewel class ships are just enough larger that the extra pax are not that noticeable. All three ships have forward lounge areas where you can take in all the scenery - there will not be much use of the pools - hot tubs yes - pools no.

The small boat excursion is called the Tracy Arm Explorer - it is run by Allen Marine - they are closed for the winter so I would not expect any response from them for a few months. The only reason I can see why NCL does not offer it on the Sun is that there is some sort of scheduling conflict with the boat on the days she is in port. Allen Marine has two boats they use for this excursion - the one for the Jewel uses a pontoon boat while the one for the Pearl uses a more conventional vee hull boat that is faster in the open water between Juneau and Tracy Arm.

• 4 weeks later...