Table Clothes in the main dining room

Krazy Kruizers

Anything goes on CCL.

If you've ever been on a Carnival ship take a look at their passengers.

How many Carnival Ships have you been on to make such a remark! As OP said "how rude"! I'm Diamond on Carnival and 3 Star on HAL. So I'm curious, too, as to why you think you differ from me or I differ from HAL passengers!!! :rolleyes: Many Carnival cruisers sail HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Regarding the Dining Room it looks like the Aft MDR which is Assigned Dining. Anytime Dining on Glory is in the Center of the Ship and not as large as the Aft MDR. Maybe the person who took the pic was in earlier than many of the other passengers when he/she snapped it. If you notice in the pic, no one is eating and they are all looking at Menus.

I agree with Sail7Seas that people will take so much and then move on. Hopefully, Carnival will not end up like JC Penney!

Edited by idiebabe

I'm sure I read somewhere in the last week that HAL will be offering "sharing sides". I don't recall if it was in a post on CC, or some of the HAL literature or emails. But I definitely saw it..... anyone else?

I read that for the new Pinnacle menu that will be coming out soon.

Haven't read anything like that for the main dining room -- yet.

"Carnival Glory New Dining "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956362

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Recent posts on the "Carnival Glory New Dining" thread are saying they were served family style -- the side dishes were in large bowls to be passed around the table.

At first I thought it was a joking comment but they are absolutely serious and the way it's being done. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

On my LuLu -- that sounds like they are caring the "family style" to extremes.

If I were at a larger table and all sides were served that way, I would not be happy.

"Carnival Glory New Dining "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956362

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Recent posts on the "Carnival Glory New Dining" thread are saying they were served family style -- the side dishes were in large bowls to be passed around the table.

At first I thought it was a joking comment but they are absolutely serious and the way it's being done. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Not quite. Passengers are given the option to have "famblee-style service" or individual sides and appetizers. Carnival in the last few years has tended to concentrate on those who travel in herds, so sharing food amongst the table isn't too surprising. Individual sides and appetizers are still available on request, though.

I don't care one way or the other about tablecloths and such, but the big bowls business gave me serious pause until I found out the real story. Carnival's dismal evening entertainment, and focus on Family!Friendly!Fun! doesn't make the line a good match for me anymore. That's a shame; there used to be a lot to like.

I am sitting here reading this eating my peanut butter toast off a paper plate in the living room.:p I do not think that dining room looks elegant at all. That looks like a middle of the road restaurant, not what I pay for in HAL. If it was the lido, it would be fine, but NOT for the MDR.:mad:

I confess that while I wouldn't have thought tablecloths were an integral part of my cruise experience, it does add elegance to dining and 'makes it special'. I'm not a fan of the family style serving, there's a buffet for that type of meal (and I enjoy the buffet, so I say this even as a buffet fan). If I'm in the dining room, I'm there because I want a more formal dining experience.

I don't think HAL will go here ....

Edited by Katie333

I wonder how many CC Posters have a real table cloth (not plastic) on their table when they eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner at home?

Totally depends on if we are eating the kitchen dining area or the formal dining room. Always a nice table cloth in the formal dining room. The kitchen dining area (sort of separate from the kitchen) an easy to wash tablecloth there ... but we use paper napkins in the kitchen one.

Back to topic: Would rather not have the MDR on cruise ships go to the no tablecloth thing.

LuLu

~~~

Completely agree LuLu..We have three different size cloths for our dining room table & put them on with pads when we have company including when our Children, Grandchildren & their little ones come to visit.. When we have the little ones we don't use cloth napkins in the Dining room & must change the table cloth every day..

DH & I eat most of our meals in our Breakfast room & always have either nice placemats or a table cloth on it.. Right now I have a Christmas Table cloth on our breakfast room table...Also have two sizes of cloths for our Breakfast room table which can be round or made into an oblong.. Must confess, we normally don't use cloth napkins for just ourselves or when close Friends drop in for coffee in the afternoon..

But I certainly would not enjoy eating in the MDR without a table cloth &r cloth napkins! It would be like eating in a Perkins at home! :eek::eek:

Betty

P.S. Doesn't anyone else miss the spell check on this new posting system?

Edited by serendipity1499

Anything goes on CCL.

If you've ever been on a Carnival ship take a look at their passengers.

How many Carnival Ships have you been on to make such a remark! As OP said "how rude"! I'm Diamond on Carnival and 3 Star on HAL. So I'm curious, too, as to why you think you differ from me or I differ from HAL passengers!!! :rolleyes: Many Carnival cruisers sail HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Regarding the Dining Room it looks like the Aft MDR which is Assigned Dining. Anytime Dining on Glory is in the Center of the Ship and not as large as the Aft MDR. Maybe the person who took the pic was in earlier than many of the other passengers when he/she snapped it. If you notice in the pic, no one is eating and they are all looking at Menus.

I agree with Sail7Seas that people will take so much and then move on. Hopefully, Carnival will not end up like JC Penney!

I could not agree more (with idiebabe)!

I too am a frequent HAL cruiser, with another cruise coming up in less than two weeks. I also happen to be Platinum on Princess, something or other on Celebrity, and don't even know what on Carnival (~10 cruises with them). Only on HAL, out of the four lines I mentioned, I see Typhoon1's kind of unsubstantiated arrogance.

Get over yourselves and at least hesitate before passing judgments on others, often with no basis whatsoever. Cruising on HAL does not make you any better than the average Carnival passenger. It is not a sign of elegance, higher status, education, or class! It is definitely not a sign of having more money, as Carnival costs about as much per night as HAL (unless you are an inflexible HAL traditionalist who insists on booking cruises the old way, i.e. years in advance, in which case thank you for subsidizing my almost always last-minute travel).

Not quite. Passengers are given the option to have "famblee-style service" or individual sides and appetizers. Carnival in the last few years has tended to concentrate on those who travel in herds, so sharing food amongst the table isn't too surprising. Individual sides and appetizers are still available on request, though.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Gee, I don't know. :confused:

On the "Carnival Glory New Dining" thread, the report back from someone who was actually on the ship was the waiter did NOT ask.

The side dishes were automatically brought out to the table in bowls for sharing family style.

This is for side dishes only -- appetizers were done individually.

LuLu

~~~~

no different than the approach for sides with the new Pinnacle menu which you defended as being the way many other finer steakhouses do it in their establishments with a la carte sides...

And before you say there may be other people at the table not part of your party... that's by choice as you can have your own table for your group, and I'm sure they would accommodate if you prefer to keep sides within your group at a given table that has others as well

That would be a bit offensive, don't you think?

To be seated at a table with assigned tablemates and to refuse to share side dishes with them? :rolleyes: Guests should never be put in such an awkward position to have to offend people with whom they are dining so the cruise line can save another nickel.

When we dine in fine steakhouses as I mentioned, we are always with folks we know. We don't worry they may have poor hygience habits. The chance of us getting Noro from sharing a vegetable bowl with them is far less than with strangers in a cruise ship dining room. No?

Gee, I don't know. :confused:

On the "Carnival Glory New Dining" thread, the report back from someone who was actually on the ship was the waiter did NOT ask.

The side dishes were automatically brought out to the table in bowls for sharing family style.

This is for side dishes only -- appetizers were done individually.

LuLu

~~~~

I'm with you, LuLu. The whole business makes me go, "ewwww" and makes me even more inclined to eat alone.

I could not agree more (with idiebabe)!

I too am a frequent HAL cruiser, with another cruise coming up in less than two weeks. I also happen to be Platinum on Princess, something or other on Celebrity, and don't even know what on Carnival (~10 cruises with them). Only on HAL, out of the four lines I mentioned, I see Typhoon1's kind of unsubstantiated arrogance.

Get over yourselves and at least hesitate before passing judgments on others, often with no basis whatsoever. Cruising on HAL does not make you any better than the average Carnival passenger. It is not a sign of elegance, higher status, education, or class! It is definitely not a sign of having more money, as Carnival costs about as much per night as HAL (unless you are an inflexible HAL traditionalist who insists on booking cruises the old way, i.e. years in advance, in which case thank you for subsidizing my almost always last-minute travel).

I've been a member here for a long time and check all the mainstream boards. The HAL board is no better or worse than the others when it comes to having a few arrogant posters. And some folks, for very good reasons, do book way ahead. You may wish to reconsider your remark about passing judgement on others.

Edited by jimmy2x

And before you say there may be other people at the table not part of your party... that's by choice as you can have your own table for your group, and I'm sure they would accommodate if you prefer to keep sides within your group at a given table that has others as well

From my experience from Carnival, they don't have a lot of tables for two. So if you're not traveling with a large group you don't have much choice. The last cruise we were on with them only had fixed seating with mostly large tables.

From my experience from Carnival, they don't have a lot of tables for two. So if you're not traveling with a large group you don't have much choice. The last cruise we were on with them only had fixed seating with mostly large tables.

True. If it's something that important to the cruiser though, then open seating would likely work the best.

And to respond to sail saying that to request your own for your family being offensive... it all depends on how it is presented. There are plenty of ways to say nearly anything... some offensive, some not. Everyone is an adult and surely most adults in society and on cruise ships can find a non-crappy way to communicate what they would like to do.

Actually, our experiences with Carnival have been just the opposite.

Guess it depends on the ship.

Charleston is only two hours away from us so we have taken Fantasy out of there a couple of times when they offer 7 night cruises. Port convenience is a factor for an extra cruise.

We do the Anytime and say we'll share but are always given a table for two.

The tables for two are very close together so feels as if you're sharing. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I've been a member here for a long time and check all the mainstream boards. The HAL board is no better or worse than the others when it comes to having a few arrogant posters.

```````````````````````````````````````````````

Totally agree with you. HAL is no worse than many other mass market boards on CC for having a few embarrassingly arrogant posters.

LuLu

~~~~

Actually, our experiences with Carnival have been just the opposite.

Guess it depends on the ship.

Charleston is only two hours away from us so we have taken Fantasy out of there a couple of times when they offer 7 night cruises. Port convenience is a factor for an extra cruise.

We do the Anytime and say we'll share but are always given a table for two.

The tables for two are very close together so feels as if you're sharing. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

On the Vista and Signature class ships they also have some tables for 2 that are very close to each other. It is a bench by the window -- three tables -- 3 people sit on the bench and face the inside of the dining room. The other 3 people get to look out the window. Not much space between the tables.