Agent or not?

I have always booked my own cruises (a grand total of 2 so I'm by no means an expert). However, a couple of people have told me that I might want to try a travel agent as you can get upgrades, on board credits, etc. I am not sure if there is value in it or not. Can anyone just give me thoughts about the pros and cons of using an agent. Not asking for names, just your thoughts on whether I'm better of booking myself or using an agent.

Thanks.

Barbara

Hi there :)

I know lots of people have provided their opinions so I thought I would offer mine too.

I used to be a TA so when it comes to booking my own holiday, I always know to book direct. My mum used a TA for her first 2 cruises and was frustrated at the blocking she met if she called RCI and they just referred her to her TA. Since I booked 2 cruises direct with RCI, I have managed to convince mum to book RCI direct which she has done the last 2 and next 2 cruises. She now has one particular guy that she speaks to and has a direct number for and he is brilliant and sorts everything out for her, no problems at all.

If you have the confidence to deal with it yourself then do so. A TA is, in my mind, an additional complication that holidays can do without. However, some people like being able to know that they can go and see someone in a shop etc.. Just depends on the individual :)

Happy holidays!

Jo :)

If I use a travel agency to handle my reservation, am I then completely locked out of the RCCL webpages? Ie, to add drink packages, book shows and excursions?

No, you would just be locked out of some functions, like making payments, cancelling the cruise, changing staterooms. You can still book shows, excursions, and drink packages.

If I use a travel agency to handle my reservation, am I then completely locked out of the RCCL webpages? Ie, to add drink packages, book shows and excursions?

You can add,drink packages,excursions etc. you only cannot change dates, cancel cruise, change staterooms,make payments.

Edited by Folk Singer

i'm amazed at all the people who think that they have to have instant control over their reservation. I have booked 29 cruises, all with online tas and have never had any problems changing my reservation. Price drop, change cabin, or whatever, i just e-mail them and it's handled. I recently booked a transatlantic , preceded by a 13 day mediterranean cruise on celebrity. I called celebrity and got their best deal. I called my online ta and got exactly the same offer as x plus $300 obc and dinner for two in a speciality resteraunt for the med, and $250 obc and dinner for two in a speciality restaraunt for the transatlantic.

That's about $670 in my pocket for exactly the same cruises and staterooms. But again, i can't call the cruiseline in the middle of the night to make changes. For that kind of money, i think i can live with it.

agree

The key with any business is to find someone that is competent and trustworthy. If your first experience with a TA is a bad one, then you will probably be tainted for life. I was lucky and found a gal who owns a travel agent franchise and all she does is cruises. After 13 years with her I have not had a bad experience.

Edited by Zigggypup

I'm amazed at all the people who think that they have to have instant control over their reservation. I have booked 29 cruises, all with online TAs and have never had any problems changing my reservation. Price drop, change cabin, or whatever, I just e-mail them and it's handled. I recently booked a transatlantic , preceded by a 13 day Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity. I called Celebrity and got their best deal. I called my online TA and got exactly the same offer as X PLUS $300 obc and dinner for two in a speciality resteraunt for the Med, and $250 obc and dinner for two in a speciality restaraunt for the transatlantic.

That's about $670 in my pocket for exactly the same cruises and staterooms. But again, I can't call the cruiseline in the middle of the night to make changes. For that kind of money, I think I can live with it.

I totally agree with you. I use a TA, as well. I have known her through the local business community (she is not an online agent), and she always makes it worth our while to book through her. She has gotten us better prices for cruises and dates we were interested in, because she knew of some groups that had private bookings that she could get our reservation to be part of theirs....we did not have (LOL)

We live in Tampa now, so we always book directly through RCCL. When we lived in Maine, used to have a travel agent handle it because my TA would book the cruise and then search for airfare to drop and book that later. Saved me the trouble of keeping track of things. My travel agent booked our hotels (night before and after). But even before we moved to Florida, I had started doing it myself. Never found it more expensive to use a TA, but never found much savings either. One advantage to using a local travel agent is being able to call that person if there are issues.

I have always booked my own cruises (a grand total of 2 so I'm by no means an expert). However, a couple of people have told me that I might want to try a travel agent as you can get upgrades, on board credits, etc. I am not sure if there is value in it or not. Can anyone just give me thoughts about the pros and cons of using an agent. Not asking for names, just your thoughts on whether I'm better of booking myself or using an agent.

Thanks.

Barbara

I use an agent. They have great OBC and service.