Maybe table clothes will be back.....

kona_wahine

Hopefully they listen. Yes, a good portion of cruise pax on carnival are not opting to go to the mdr and a greater portion wants to dress down if they do go. But an even greater amount wants the mdr experience to be more special than your typical trip to applebees.

Most companies strive to retain their most loyal and high spending return customers. For some reason carnival does its best to alienate many of its best customers, instead aiming to go for more first timers who might not spend as much and won't be as brand loyal.

I hope carnival management listens to those of us who are unhappy with these changes and reverses course before it is too late and they lose us to other lines.

I really don't see removing table cloths as a cutback. It's a modernization. Many of the best, most expensive, most popular, highest rated restaurants do not use table cloths because they're outdated. When Carnival starts serving food that rivals French Laundry, Le Bernardain, or Per Se, then I'll consider an atmosphere of elegance.

Craft (NYC)

craft.jpg

Gramercy Tavern (NYC)

gramercy-tavern.jpg

Bierria (NYC)

birrerianyc.jpg

Spice Market (NYC)

2738.jpg

Good. They can find somewhere else to be cheap then.

This no table cloth thing would not apply to the Magic unless the Magic's tables were resurfaced first as they have a foam cushioning glued to the top.

The ones that are so concerned about laundry should give up thier bed sheets.

Awesome! It's about time the suits did a mea culpa and went back on the cutbacks they made. Dinner on a cruise ship should be about enjoying a good meal and good company in an elegantly designed setting. It shouldn't be a proverbial gas station visit to refuel the stomach. I say keep the American Table and American Feast menu; they're better than I expected. But bring back the tablecloths; without them, dinner feels more like fuel than food.

Those who say that we're "complaining about missing tablecloths," it's not about a sheet of cotton covering a table. It's about when to say "enough!" Where's the line? Is it the comfort food replacing fine cuisine? Is is the elimination of lunch? Is it the crappy video screens in lieu of physical show sets? Is it the elimination of talented live bands in favor of repetitive DJ music? Is it the limit of Cheers at 15 drinks? You have to draw the line somewhere. Then why not the tablecloths? If no one does, Carnival will go the way of EasyCruise: first, bare-bones cruise accompanied by rampant nickel-and-diming; then, bankruptcy and closure.

If Carnival is that desperate to save money via cutbacks, then fine, remove the tablecloths during breakfast and lunch/brunch, but keep them during dinner. Most people do not go to a white tablecloths restaurant for lunch, and those who do generally sail on Celebrity and such, rather than Carnival. The first two meals are casual enough by default that they'll do just fine without the tablecloths. But for dinner, bring back the elegant look and feel, that draws many people to cruising in the first place.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Good. They can find somewhere else to be cheap then.

This no table cloth thing would not apply to the Magic unless the Magic's tables were resurfaced first as they have a foam cushioning glued to the top.

Deleted, saw many replies after I sent this.....

Edited by jimbo5544

I really don't see removing table cloths as a cutback. It's a modernization. Many of the best, most expensive, most popular, highest rated restaurants do not use table cloths because they're outdated. When Carnival starts serving food that rivals French Laundry, Le Bernardain, or Per Se, then I'll consider an atmosphere of elegance.

Craft (NYC)

craft.jpg

Gramercy Tavern (NYC)

gramercy-tavern.jpg

Bierria (NYC)

birrerianyc.jpg

Spice Market (NYC)

2738.jpg

It is not about that. A lot of places rock the bare tabletop and it works. They are doing this so that they can further cut down on staff in the mdr, not so they can offer a better product. Just ditch the mdr, expand the lido buffet and make anyone who wants to have a decent sitdown dinner experience pay the $35 to go to a specialty restaurant onboard. That IS the ultimate plan, right guys? Sharing a pitcher of water and our meals like it is a picnic just doesn't cut it. Sorry. I am sure the amount of people standing over top of you while you try to enjoy dinner to sell shots and take pictures won't decrease though. :)

If a table has a beautiful surface it can lovely with good quality placemats, napkins and candles. Now if napkins become paper and no placemats.............well that's something entirely different.

Never will be candles, at least with an open flame, on your cruise ship table. :eek:

Awesome! It's about time the suits did a mea culpa and went back on the cutbacks they made. Dinner on a cruise ship should be about enjoying a good meal and good company in an elegantly designed setting. It shouldn't be a proverbial gas station visit to refuel the stomach. I say keep the American Table and American Feast menu; they're better than I expected. But bring back the tablecloths; without them, dinner feels more like fuel than food.

Those who say that we're "complaining about missing tablecloths," it's not about a sheet of cotton covering a table. It's about when to say "enough!" Where's the line? Is it the comfort food replacing fine cuisine? Is is the elimination of lunch? Is it the crappy video screens in lieu of physical show sets? Is it the elimination of talented live bands in favor of repetitive DJ music? Is it the limit of Cheers at 15 drinks? You have to draw the lime somewhere. Then why not the tablecloths? If no one does, Carnival will go the way of EasyCruise: first, bare-bones cruise accompanied by rampant nickel-and-diming; then, bankruptcy and closure.

If Carnival is that desperate to save money via cutbacks, then fine, remove the tablecloths during breakfast and lunch/brunch, but keep them during dinner. The first two meals are casual enough by default that they'll do just fine without the tablecloths. But for dinner, bring back the elegant feel, forced or not, that draws many people to cruising in the first place.

Wow, you are all over the place. I do get your enough is enough comment, I have never understood the removal of table cloths as a cut back. A couple of other comments on your post. Comfort food was in addition to not replacing "fine cuisine". Cheers always and the 15 drink limit, we are all better off as a result. Lastly, there will be no foreclosure, although that would certainly make a few here gloat until they keeled over.

Craft (NYC)

craft.jpg

Gramercy Tavern (NYC)

gramercy-tavern.jpg

Bierria (NYC)

birrerianyc.jpg

Spice Market (NYC)

2738.jpg

What's the deal on this board with all the photos of New York eateries?

The second photo is of a tavern, if you look in the back, the restaurant portion does have tablecloths.

The third photo looks like a cheap take-out place near a bus station or truck stop. Gross.

I'm on the fence about tablecloths vs. no, but none of the posted photos here or in other threads look anything like Carnival dining rooms, so it's no comparison.

Like several others pointed out, I too have always seen people dressed quite nice on elegant nights. One cruise my husband's dress shoes got ruined and he had to wear tennis shoes for the second formal night. I was so embarrassed. He had on slacks, dress shirt and tie. But with his tennis shoes, I felt he was the least dressed person there. Never seen wife beaters, bathrobes, flip flops, sweatpants, ball caps, etc... in the mdr.

+100,000,000,000

Even if you never use them, care to have them, many reasonable folks understand why they would be important in this setting. At least use them for dinner seating where dressing up, a bit more, is suggested. I am willing to pay extra for this touch, its not a tug boat!

I'm willing to pay the same. Not more. Don't increase the fares to go back to something you just changed a week ago on one ship after having tablecloths for years. I enjoy getting dolled up on elegant night where tablecloths remain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm willing to pay the same. Not more. Don't increase the fares to go back to something you just changed a week ago on one ship after having tablecloths for years. I enjoy getting dolled up on elegant night where tablecloths remain.

Dolled up, gnawing on smoke flavored ribs. Kind of seeing the issue with the lack of tablecloths, elegant night, fine dining, ribs and people wearing wife beaters.

I feel as though Carnival is pulling at straws at this point, and just needs to wash the table clean and start over. Lets start with the tablecloths. Am I correct that most people prefer naked tables?

Edited by Tutankhamen

I look at it this way. Our cottage is decorated as different Caribbean islands. But when our guest comes we make sure we have cloth table cloths on our tables. When I go o vacation I want some little luxury too. Cloths tablecloths to some may not feel the same . But to us we are on vacation and we want the added little things to make the dining special.

Last night we had our Christmas Party at our club. Just had appetizers and a band. But we made sure the guests felt special with the white tablecloths on.

I look at it this way. Our cottage is decorated as different Caribbean islands. But when our guest comes we make sure we have cloth table cloths on our tables. When I go o vacation I want some little luxury too. Cloths tablecloths to some may not feel the same . But to us we are on vacation and we want the added little things to make the dining special.

Last night we had our Christmas Party at our club. Just had appetizers and a band. But we made sure the guests felt special with the white tablecloths on.

So JH should put you down as a No on the tablecloths?

Edited by Tutankhamen

If Carnival is that desperate to save money via cutbacks, then fine, remove the tablecloths during breakfast and lunch/brunch, but keep them during dinner. Most people do not go to a white tablecloths restaurant for lunch, and those who do generally sail on Celebrity and such, rather than Carnival. The first two meals are casual enough by default that they'll do just fine without the tablecloths. But for dinner, bring back the elegant look and feel, that draws many people to cruising in the first place.

For more and more the draw to Carnival is cheap. They need to do cheap right, and turn all the dining to buffet but leave the pay restaurants for those who want a bit more atmosphere, or a different one at the end of the day. yes, forget about the tablecloths for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is when most come together and expect a bit more.

Besides, many of us have ONE formal or elegant occasion in our lives, such as our wedding. The dress from Ross or clearance at Macy's is not really elegant or formal, but that's not to say we should no longer wear them and smile pretty.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Dolled up, gnawing on smoke flavored ribs. Kind of seeing the issue with the lack of tablecloths, elegant night, fine dining, ribs and people wearing wife beaters.

I feel as though Carnival is pulling at straws at this point, and just needs to wash the table clean and start over. Lets start with the tablecloths. Am I correct that most people prefer naked tables?

I don't gnaw on anything. And I don't care for Carnival's ribs. The best ones I eat are made by my DH in my backyard. Plenty of fine restaurants serve ribs. They just find some way to fancy up the name.

Missed the cruise where wifebeaters were worn in the MDR. Lol. That's why this tablecloth debate doesn't make much sense to me. The time to complain about the MDR losing elegance was when people stopped dressing up and Carnival allowed it. What's a tablecloth if folks are wearing beachgear to dinner? I figure, though, people might still dress up at least a little for elegant night. Seems Carnival is trying to distinguish it.

You don't say. I packed 7 gowns and 7 cocktail dresses for nothing. Now I understand the incredible strange looks and smiles:D:)

This is not all about tablecloths but another cutback to bare bones cheapness. The rate of cheapness and decline is overwhelming, in a relatively short period of time.

Carnival was never a lesser product than RCL and Princess but one to be enjoyed differently, but now they are not in the same category in my mine.

Wow you are truly an anomaly in today's cruising world. Since you have to pack so much with all those dresses, maybe you could add a tablecloth ;)

Seriously, I don't see it as a cutback. They are a making an investment in new tables that can be without a tablecloth. They might save a little over time with washing the tablecloths, but still have the time to continually clean the table tops.

It's more about changing with the times. We have become a more casual society.

I don't gnaw on anything. And I don't care for Carnival's ribs. The best ones I eat are made by my DH in my backyard. Plenty of fine restaurants serve ribs. They just find some way to fancy up the name.

Missed the cruise where wifebeaters were worn in the MDR. Lol. That's why this tablecloth debate doesn't make much sense to me. The time to complain about the MDR losing elegance was when people stopped dressing up and Carnival allowed it. What's a tablecloth if folks are wearing beachgear to dinner? I figure, though, people might still dress up at least a little for elegant night. Seems Carnival is trying to distinguish it.

Did not mean to offend you with the word gnaw. Just making a link between dolled up on elegant night and people eating spare ribs wearing wife beaters.

My point being, Carnival is not standing for anything and so they really are not anything. They need to decide who they want to be.

Reminds me of the neighborhood kid that played with the bullies causing trouble, but then would play with the other kids on another day.

Did not mean to offend you with the word gnaw. Just making a link between dolled up on elegant night and people eating spare ribs wearing wife beaters.

My point being, Carnival is not standing for anything and so they really are not anything. They need to decide who they want to be.

Reminds me of the neighborhood kid that played with the bullies causing trouble, but then would play with the other kids on another day.

Not offended by anything you said Tut.