Robberies in Jamaica

JYD Hawkeye

When I traveled on a cruise 9 years ago with my then 9 year old and 12 year old sons, a man approached us as we were almost back at the ship (on foot). He was trying to shove a baggie of pills into my 12 year old son's hand. My son was yelling loudly at him to get away from him. There were people walking everywhere but he didn't seem to care. This was not a good scene at all.

That was the last time I ever got off the ship in Jamaica. For some reason, I felt on guard the whole day were were out and about. I can't explain it, call it mothers tuition but I never felt completely safe. Maybe it's because I was traveling with 2 younger boys. Anyhow, that did it for me. I have never had an interest in seeing what else was in Jamaica after that incident. I think we have cruised twice back to the island (that's me, my hubby and my grown sons) and I just plan a massage for that day. It works totally for me. :D

I think one of the things people need to remember, and consider, is that the police in Jamaica are also often not up to the standards of what we would accept here in the States. This according to the State Department website also. That matters in two ways. First, the crime statistics cannot be counted on to be accurate as it is the police who submit the crime reports first to start the process. One can only assume, then, that the actual incidents are worse than the stated numbers. It is highly unlikely that crimes would be over reported. And second, if you do encounter an issue, you cannot be as reassured that it will be dealt with properly or even safely.

Even if the crime incident number is, say, 20%, (and I don't know what the real number is) then of course that also means that 80% of people would have no issue with crime (although harassment is another issue). Some may feel the beauty and experience of the island is worth it - it's a personal decision. Had I not already been to the island a few times I probably would chance it just to experience the island. Having already been, I personally feel no need to do so again.

I think one of the things people need to remember, and consider, is that the police in Jamaica are also often not up to the standards of what we would accept here in the States. This according to the State Department website also. That matters in two ways. First, the crime statistics cannot be counted on to be accurate as it is the police who submit the crime reports first to start the process. One can only assume, then, that the actual incidents are worse than the stated numbers. It is highly unlikely that crimes would be over reported. And second, if you do encounter an issue, you cannot be as reassured that it will be dealt with properly or even safely.

Even if the crime incident number is, say, 20%, (and I don't know what the real number is) then of course that also means that 80% of people would have no issue with crime (although harassment is another issue). Some may feel the beauty and experience of the island is worth it - it's a personal decision. Had I not already been to the island a few times I probably would chance it just to experience the island. Having already been, I personally feel no need to do so again.

That's the key right there, good or bad you had your chance. Jamaica has always had problems, no matter how many times they say no problem mon. You took your chance to see what the hoopla was all about and survived after the first time to go again. Others might have your good luck, don't you think:D

If you are worried about unreported crime incidents then cruising should never be a vacation choice. Is there a crime data base for incidents that happen in international waters, not the US? Reporting started recently and may not be very reliable, counting on the cruise lines to report themselves, not good for business. It's fair to think most go on a cruise without incident and the same for many ports. I was pickpocket in Barcelona but I would go back.

Edited by Blk_Amish

It's all a matter of evaluating the risk (being in the insurance industry I tend to think that way:)) There are no guarantees of safety anywhere of course. The question is, what is the chance of something bad happening, and is it worth it to you to take the risk anyway. People often respond to these types of comments to say if you want to be completely safe never go anywhere; why travel, why not just stay home etc. etc.. That is not the point of course. The fact of the matter is, some places are just not as safe as others. None of the Caribbean islands (or ships for that matter) are 100% safe and no one is saying they are. But the facts are that Jamaica is considerably less safe than most of the other commonly visited islands. It also has a more corrupt and less effective police force than most. These are facts, not opinions. Add to that the fact that it also has a considerably worse 'hassling' factor than most islands (this part is opinion, but a commonly reported one). Whether one wants to take the risk anyway to see the island is up to the individual. But the risk on this island is higher than most - period. For me personally, it is as much about being constantly hassled as it is about the actual risk. I'm on vacation - I want to relax, not constantly have people coming up to me to sell drugs or buy their other wares, often in a very pushy manner. An individual decision.

The fact is tourism has exploded in Jamaica over the past 2 decades, not to everyone's delight. Maybe it's something in the air. The island went from having the biggest resort being the Sunset Jamaica Grande with 15 stories and 715 rooms to now mega resorts Like Riu (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Negril), Rui Place, Bahia Princess, Palladium, Iberostar with thousands of room. Land and natural resources were destroyed to build the RCL dock for the Monstrosity of the Sea.

Yes, some places are not as safe as other, which might be an appeal for some people. Like the case of the guy that is a complete jerk but attracts all the beautiful girls- baad bwoy. Jamaica is the baad bwoy of the Caribbean. They return with some kind of high (no pun intended).:D The other commonly visited islands don't have the goods (food, music, hot men, sexy women, weed, friendly people, in your face culture, and God given beauty) like Jamaica. The ones I have been to are pretty flat.

Disclaimer - since I work against further tourism (resorts and ships) on the island, please stay away if you want to.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Buddy of mine that is cruising with us said his friend just got back from Jamaica and their tour was followed by armed personnel due to abnormal amount of robberies there. Anyone else experienced this lately or heard about this ?

Jamaica hasn't been safe in years. We don't even bother to get off the ship there.

We just came back from Jamaica last week on our cruise and we booked an AI excursion with Resort For a Day. We book an AI because it's secluded and the locals can't just walk up on you and harrass you. (I did have a bad experience when I was in my 20's that made me feel VERY uncomfortable and was taken for a bunch of money).

When we were on our trip there was a lady there that said there was a recent incidence that a local tried to rob a lady by slicing her purse off her arm with a knife. Instead it sliced her arm. She happen to have another person on the same cruise by them who was a doctor and another that was a surgeon. They took her back to the ship where she was treated by the ship doctor and stitched up.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not. It's just the story I heard.

Which AI did you do? Are they not allowed on the beach at all? Was the transportation from the pier to the resort secure? Thanks!

It's all a matter of evaluating the risk (being in the insurance industry I tend to think that way:)) There are no guarantees of safety anywhere of course. The question is, what is the chance of something bad happening, and is it worth it to you to take the risk anyway. People often respond to these types of comments to say if you want to be completely safe never go anywhere; why travel, why not just stay home etc. etc.. That is not the point of course. The fact of the matter is, some places are just not as safe as others. None of the Caribbean islands (or ships for that matter) are 100% safe and no one is saying they are. But the facts are that Jamaica is considerably less safe than most of the other commonly visited islands. It also has a more corrupt and less effective police force than most. These are facts, not opinions. Add to that the fact that it also has a considerably worse 'hassling' factor than most islands (this part is opinion, but a commonly reported one). Whether one wants to take the risk anyway to see the island is up to the individual. But the risk on this island is higher than most - period. For me personally, it is as much about being constantly hassled as it is about the actual risk. I'm on vacation - I want to relax, not constantly have people coming up to me to sell drugs or buy their other wares, often in a very pushy manner. An individual decision.

Agreed 100%. Numerous people have wondered for years why the cruise lines still go to Jamaica. I remember back in 1995 - almost 20 years ago - walking off the ship and getting as far as the gates, and turning around and heading back. It was terrible then!

Which AI did you do? Are they not allowed on the beach at all? Was the transportation from the pier to the resort secure? Thanks!

All beaches in Jamaica are public but many have private access. Yes 'they' are allowed on the beach if they can find other access or swim. You are safe if the swim part because many still say "Fish Nah Walk, Mi Nah Swim" (fish don't walk, I don't swim). Once there 'they' are allowed to enjoy it up to the waterline. No, please don't go if you think they are not allowed but chances are the ones with private access will keep them off. There is no way to be 100 percent secure, 'they' can always find a way to get to you in their country. A section of just about every beach in Jamaica has a public but not always easily accessible or worth the trouble.

I personally recommend if 'they' are a concern don't go!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

We just came back from Jamaica last week on our cruise and we booked an AI excursion with Resort For a Day. We book an AI because it's secluded and the locals can't just walk up on you and harrass you. (I did have a bad experience when I was in my 20's that made me feel VERY uncomfortable and was taken for a bunch of money).

When we were on our trip there was a lady there that said there was a recent incidence that a local tried to rob a lady by slicing her purse off her arm with a knife. Instead it sliced her arm. She happen to have another person on the same cruise by them who was a doctor and another that was a surgeon. They took her back to the ship where she was treated by the ship doctor and stitched up.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not. It's just the story I heard.

What was the resort you visited and was it worth visiting?

What was the resort you visited and was it worth visiting?

This time we were in Montego Bay and went to Hilton Rose Hall. It was BEAUTIFUL. I did a complete review of it with TONS of pictures from that day. You can find my review HERE. It starts at post #248.

If you are in Ocho Rios, we went to Sunset Grande for the day and it was really nice too. The review and pictures from it are in my signature line.

Both were booked using Resort for a Day. :)

Abnormal amount of robberies...... Well nope, nobody heard of it.....jeeze.... If I had a dollar for every time I read here....my sister knows a friend of a friend that heard Jamaica is deadly.......OMG.....I accidentally tested everything I read before we went to stay at Mobay in 2007.....first time...of FIVE stays

We had ONE reeeeally strong drink at our AI, left the property...soooo buzzed, and did not realize it.... I read, tourists should not buy trinkets in back alleys, and don't tell anybody yelling at you, what your name is.....guess what.... I was going to walk in a cute store.....but somebody yelled asking my name....my husband giggled, I forgot not to do that.....so a lady said, kimberly, come see our jewelry back here that our family makes, and is cheaper and better than the store..... Within a few minutes...They tried to Palm some coke in my husbands hand, and he kept saying his name was George bush ! Within a few minutes, my husband got his wits about him and after many asking us to buy jewels.....we got out of the alley. No harm no foul....

Finally had to put a happy ending story..... So much negativity..... All this pushiness of sales just happened to our friends at a Barbados beach.....

So the second through fifth time.... Of land hotels.... I remembered those rules! Luckily, we made a friend for a guide, we see every couple of years, and mr. Kenny Salmon, makes sure there IS no problem! Literally!

There is Often no way to appreciate JA....within a port , or near a port, on a port day, where the hungry hustlers gravitate ! You have to stay more than 6 hours, and find all the wonderful beauty and people.....

Edited by kcdancerkc