It's just plain rude!

nealstuber

People leaving the shows early has never affected the performance in any show I've ever sat in. For the most part the performers can't see beyond the first couple of rows anyways because of the lights.

And, yes, the comedians will sometimes heckle people that leave early or arrive late, but it's almost always people in the front rows or when house lights are brighter.

When it happened during one of the comedy shows the comic made a crack about it so I noticed who it was and saw them in MDR with main course as we were seated. It's a one case study so I guess I should not draw too much from it; however on that same note, I would say that just because you didn't do it doesn't mean that nobody does. MTD accepts reservations between the assigned dinner times,so It certainly seems logical that there are some people who do go to the show and leave for this reason.

While folks have always left shows for whatever reason in the past, it sure seems like there are more now. If the shows are playing to half full theaters in part because people made their reservations before the show times were posted, won't be long before they consolidate or get rid of them.

You're reading people the riot act after observing 1 person doing something you didn't like:confused:?

On our last cruise there were 11 of us on MTD. We didn't have a lot of time options available for our large group. We did get to the show late. We didn't interrupt the flow since we didn't sit or even stay long.

The original post and subsequent posts do NOT say that the entire MTD program should be scrapped - just the reservations. I guess if you're just going to make stuff up, it would be easy to think how I was obsessing about it.

Seem to have touched on a real sore spot here, so I'll concede: nobody ever makes a dinner reservation for a time sounds good to them and then realizes a conflict when the compass comes out with a good show and it's times.

I would actually say it was the opposite. Those that have made reservations probably made them to accommodate the show schedule or other things going on during the evening on the ship. I know that's what I do, find a compass and figure out when I should make my reservations to not interrupt others. Of course, if things change once on the ship I can change my reservation.

Maybe it is those without reservations that are leaving early to get in line before the rest of those in the show? Should we make so that if you go to a show you can't go to the dining room until after it is over?

Personally I think it is just the world we live in these days. More people are turning into the "it's all about me" society and don't give a hoot how their behavior impacts anyone else around them. Its becoming more and more common place for people to do just what they want and not consider anyone else. I see this as more of the issue than anything to do with MTD.

You're reading people the riot act after observing 1 person doing something you didn't like:confused:?

On our last cruise there were 11 of us on MTD. We didn't have a lot of time options available for our large group. We did get to the show late. We didn't interrupt the flow since we didn't sit or even stay long.

Not sure how you read that it was one person and I'm totally dumbfounded that so many have construed this as a riot act.

Scores, maybe close to a hundred; walked out of the first production show (it was nor great but not terrible). Comic in the show next night reacted to one of many that we happened to come across, and the next review show had similar issues.

I know some have said the performers are used to it and don't see - I disagree.

Did you ever consider that the Pax did not like the show(s). Some of the shows are awful. I agree, when we give a show a look, we sit in the back and if we enjoy it we stay otherwise we leave.

I have seen groups of people get up 5-10 minutes before a show ended, I assume to get up to the MDR ahead of the rush for 2nd seating.

We have done MTD, and never had an issue scheduling around the shows we wanted to see...

Well, Neal, I agree with you that leaping out of your seat in the middle of the middle row is a little rude to other passengers and most especially to the performers. But I don't see what MTD's got to do with it (got to do with it, got to do with it;)) People leave the theater

-to line up early for early seating (why? I do not know)

-to leave the theater before the CD starts yammering on about bingo

-they have a reservation or plans to meet someone somewhere else on board

-because they are bored, tired, have restless leg syndrome or have to pee

So while I agree it's a great idea for people with short attention spans, weak bladders, jumpy legs, or reservations, to sit in the balcony or rear of the theater, (as I always do, since at any time I may suffer from any one of these ailments...especially boredom) I still can't figure out why this would be a problem caused by MTD reservations??

Edited by Familygoboston

When it happened during one of the comedy shows the comic made a crack about it so I noticed who it was and saw them in MDR with main course as we were seated. It's a one case study so I guess I should not draw too much from it; however on that same note, I would say that just because you didn't do it doesn't mean that nobody does. MTD accepts reservations between the assigned dinner times,so It certainly seems logical that there are some people who do go to the show and leave for this reason.

While folks have always left shows for whatever reason in the past, it sure seems like there are more now. If the shows are playing to half full theaters in part because people made their reservations before the show times were posted, won't be long before they consolidate or get rid of them.

Oh wow so you have made this huge generalization on just one instance/observation?

I certainly get why many people would rather not conform to a set dining time. My point was, once you make a reservation, you have a set dining time ...so why not have a time that ties in to most of the evening activities? (Including those in the kids club)

You can change you MTD reservations daily to meet your needs. I just came off jewel and did it every day to meet show and Tier party times

You can see the performed demoralized and it detracts from the overall experience.

I get that it can be distracting to the fellow guests, but how can you tell it is demoralizing to the performers?

When it happened during one of the comedy shows the comic made a crack about it so I noticed who it was and saw them in MDR with main course as we were seated. It's a one case study so I guess I should not draw too much from it...

Comedians do tend to make jokes about people leaving. They have the jokes ready to be made because they expect it. I assume that a cruise comedian would be even more ready with those jokes because they know that many people will have other things to do. Doesn't necessarily ruin their days.

Not sure how you read that it was one person and I'm totally dumbfounded that so many have construed this as a riot act.

Scores, maybe close to a hundred; walked out of the first production show (it was nor great but not terrible). Comic in the show next night reacted to one of many that we happened to come across, and the next review show had similar issues.

I know some have said the performers are used to it and don't see - I disagree.

You mentioned seeing one person leave and that same person at dinner later. You said it was one case study. From your statements, it seems you only identified one person/family who left AND was at dinner.

While I've never performed on a cruiseship, I have been on stage before, and you really have a hard time seeing much of anything with those bright lights on. A comedian, just standing there looking out can likely see more (possibly just people-shapes), but another type of performer shouldn't be paying attention to such things.

Did you ever consider that the Pax did not like the show(s). Some of the shows are awful. I agree, when we give a show a look, we sit in the back and if we enoy it we stay otherwise we leave.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I agree with this post. Different strokes for different folks. I've walked out of shows because they were cheesy. Mostly though, we'll sit through them hoping they'll end soon, unless we're overcome with fatigue from a long day in the sun. We'll leave at that point in order to retire.

I get that it can be distracting to the fellow guests, but how can you tell it is demoralizing to the performers?

Body language... You see thier eyes follow people leaving and a demoralized look on their face followed by a lack of energy.

Comedians do tend to make jokes about people leaving. They have the jokes ready to be made because they expect it. I assume that a cruise comedian would be even more ready with those jokes because they know that many people will have other things to do. Doesn't necessarily ruin their days.

Who said it ruins anybody's day? I said it is rude and I stand by that statement. Seems like a lot of other people are being crazy defensive here...

You mentioned seeing one person leave and that same person at dinner later. You said it was one case study. From your statements, it seems you only identified one person/family who left AND was at dinner.

Did you read the rest of the posts and notice the plural nature of the original post? I conceeded that I lept to a conclusion that MTD might be the reason for the increase in walk-out because I saw one of many who left in the dining room later. (I had not considered that the beverage package could also have something to do with it since that is also a change - clever). I am not the show police - I recognized one person because a comedian brought my attention to it. And while everyone laughed, nobody else left his show after that.

While I've never performed on a cruiseship, I have been on stage before, and you really have a hard time seeing much of anything with those bright lights on. A comedian, just standing there looking out can likely see more (possibly just people-shapes), but another type of performer shouldn't be paying attention to such things.

You're right - they shouldn't be paying attention to that - they should be encouraged for putting on a good performance. While it was by no means excellent - it was SO much better than what they are doing on Carnival these days. Edited by nealstuber

....so It certainly seems logical that there are some people who do go to the show and leave for this reason....

I totally agree with you, Neal, that it is logical that some people who leave early are bound to be MTDers who have mismanaged their reservations, just as you observed.

However, I must say that it is absurd to argue that logic dictates this is necessarily a significant number of those who leave early. As many CCers on this thread have already indicated, there are so many more logical reasons for leaving. My own opinion for the increase we all see (even on NCL who has had MTD for a very long time): a forever increasing sense of entitlement, which one who has been a CCer for more than a decade can readily detect on the changing posts over that period.

I think the only person with an issue about this is the OP.

Seriously, we're talking about shows on a cruise ship. This ain't exactly Broadway. It's not that people are rude or entitled, it's that it's a show.... on a CRUISE SHIP! You expect me to act and behave as I would at a high-caliber theatrical presentation? Fine, whenever I'm at one, I'll do just that. But nothing on a cruise ship ever qualifies.

My primary beef with my time dining is that it disconnects some pax from the flow of the evening. RCCL still does a great job with their shows and seeing people get up 3/4s of the way through the show to make their reservation really ticks me off.

You can see the performed demoralized and it detracts from the overall experience.

I ask that my time diners with reservations take seats in the back and upper levels.

I get that the concept is here to stay - but still think the reservations concept should be nixed - if you are going to plan your day in advance, why not go with the flow that is driven not only by dinner times, but also show times?

I don't get your complaint,people come and go for many reasons.this is a cruise ship.You should relax and enjoy your cruise.And let others enjoy theirs.Have a great next cruise. :)

I think the only person with an issue about this is the OP.

Seriously, we're talking about shows on a cruise ship. This ain't exactly Broadway. It's not that people are rude or entitled, it's that it's a show.... on a CRUISE SHIP! You expect me to act and behave as I would at a high-caliber theatrical presentation? Fine, whenever I'm at one, I'll do just that. But nothing on a cruise ship ever qualifies.

Well yes I agree. It is a show on a cruise ship. And there can be many different cultures and socio-economic levels of people together, however, having seen many Broadway plays.. I really think that Hairspray and Chicago are of high-caliber and are as good or better than most Broadway shows I have seen. Plus the Theater in the Ship is intimate and comfortable. Just because the show is "on a cruise ship" is no reason to take leave of good manners. But people seem to act different while on vacation and this might be the best explanation. I take issue with the folk who sit in the audience and don't clap or respond to the performers. Just sit like unappreciative zombies as the performers are performing their hearts out. I would almost rather they leave and give the sit to someone who will enjoy the show. Just sayin

I think fixed dining should be eliminated apart from formal nights. Or if it has to be the case, then there should be enough time gap between the show and dinner reservation to make sure people are not rushing or leaving the show early just to make the dining time - I don't like rushing and it's indeed rude to leave the show early and disturb other people!

Pardon? Gosh, I am having a difficult time understanding you, I'm afraid. :(

I know, I'm not sure either what the problem is even though OP has replied a few times here. :confused:

We just returned from our first cruise. We chose MTD because we simply did not know what to expect as far as dining and show times. We had no problems whatsoever. We were always seated promptly and made any shows we chose to see. IMHO it is a matter of personal planning. If you want to see a particular show at a particular time just go to dinner a bit earlier or later to make a smooth transition. I still am not clear as to what your beef is.:confused:

This is one of the silliest threads I've ever read.

People can get up and walk out of a show for whatever reason they want – and they don't have explain to anyone as to why. Going to dinner? Fine. Gotta pee? Dandy. Hate the show? See ya.

I always find it funny how some people feel the need to police everything that other people do, but then fail to realise that, by doing so, they're just as irritating.

Next, give the performers a little credit here – they're not a bunch of thin-skinned cry babies who are going to go backstage and slit their wrists because people in a cruise ship audience decide to get up and leave. They're not idiots, they know there are dozens of other things going on – including dinner. Besides, they're not being paid by the number of people in the audience.

Can't remember the last time a I saw a headline that read, "Cruise Ship Dancer Throws Herself Overboard As Hungry Passengers Leave In Droves."

This is one of the silliest threads I've ever read.

People can get up and walk out of a show for whatever reason they want – and they don't have explain to anyone as to why. Going to dinner? Fine. Gotta pee? Dandy. Hate the show? See ya.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Amazing what some people let themselves be irritated about.:rolleyes:

Pardon? :confused:

Unsure what exactly you are saying, but is it that people are leaving or entering the theater while the show is underway? If this is your complaint, then don't blame MTD. We have done MTD and absolutely made it to the shows on time, and did not leave a show to get to dinner. The performers are used to people leaving - it happens all the time (sadly). It just does.

On Allure where scheduling the shows takes a little more effort, I had to schedule Chicago on a night where it would end right about my dinner time. I did two things, I talked it over with my waiter and let him know I might be a little late and not to delay our tablemates, and 2 I got to the show early, sat in the back of the balcony and made sure we got aisle seats. We ended up just on time for dinner.

I do know on Allure Ken Rush was annoyed by people walking out and would call them out, but he would also give tips like, "If you are going to X, Y, or Z, don't worry about rushing over, my staff will make sure there is enough time between the two.

I think fixed dining should be eliminated apart from formal nights. Or if it has to be the case, then there should be enough time gap between the show and dinner reservation to make sure people are not rushing or leaving the show early just to make the dining time - I don't like rushing and it's indeed rude to leave the show early and disturb other people!

Doing away with traditional dining will just mean chaos.

I did one (and it will be the only one) cruise on NCL after it went "Freestyle" If you wanted to see the show, you had to eat at a certain time. Since most people wanted to see the show, the lines were 45 minutes long waiting to get into dinner. We were only two people, not minding to share a table, but two people weren't permitted to make a reservation for dinner.

If I recall correctly, there was only one show.

We do MTD and we schedule our dinner so that we can make the show for the early seating guests, or we will go to the first show for the late seating guests and then have dinner.

I do agree with the OP that it is rude and distracting for large groups of people to get up and leave the theater during a performance whether it's on a cruise ship or a grammar school auditorium, but some of us were raised with different expectations than others, so it really is OUR problem.