Carnival Corp: Ticket contract "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage"

sppunk

CNN just aired a damning report showing Carnival Corp. knew of trouble and neglected to repair CCL's Triumph Engine 6. Fuel lines leaking onto engines, which caused Costa Alegra's fire, was a known issue but immediate fixes were not mandated.

But the kicker, in response to a passenger lawsuit, Carnival issued a statement that says the ticket contract "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions."

What in the world? As they are the parent company of HAL, does this bother anyone like it does me?

CNN just aired a damning report showing Carnival Corp. knew of trouble and neglected to repair CCL's Triumph Engine 6. Fuel lines leaking onto engines, which caused Costa Alegra's fire, was a known issue but immediate fixes were not mandated.

But the kicker, in response to a passenger lawsuit, Carnival issued a statement that says the ticket contract "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions."

What in the world? As they are the parent company of HAL, does this bother anyone like it does me?

Darn, Every time CNN reports on Carnival, the price of my shares drops.:rolleyes:

NO matter if you sail Carnival Corporation , Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line ...I really wonder how many people actually have read their cruise contract.. very few I would bet.

And if they did.. they would understand they have very few "rights" when it comes to recourse when their choice in vacations turns negative.

Maybe the shares will soar when the ship turns off the AC upon departure from port, only offers Fancy Feast or Alpo for food and then makes everybody walk the plank on day one as the all inclusive shore excursion and can sail empty for the remaining 6 days with no worries about flushing toilets and no can openers to operate for the Fancy Feast and Alpo and only 15 crew members to throw all the luggage overboard and pull up the beds for the next passengers. Would be a great Carnivore idea if they could get everyone to prepay the OBC of $1,000 in exchange for a 50% discount.

I would guess it is in the next business plan, thus your shares of stock are safe!

No.

I understand that taking a cruise I am putting myself at risk of not safe passage, not seaworthy vessel, not adequate and wholesome food, and unsanitary and unsafe living conditions.

I also understand that cruise lines as well as all transportation companies must be in compliance with certain regulations that are mandatory. And operators are responsible for that.

"A guarantee" is not a word that can be used in ticket contracts.

We all just have to be realistic.

A cruise ship is a tiny peace of civilization in an endless ocean under mercy of mother nature.

No one knows what can happen next moment.

And no one can guarantee that it won't happen.

Relax and enjoy cruising.

It's safe and simply beautiful! :)

Edited by cruisetrail

No.

I understand that taking a cruise I am putting myself at risk of not safe passage, not seaworthy vessel, not adequate and wholesome food, and unsanitary and unsafe living conditions.

I also understand that cruise lines as well as all transportation companies must be in compliance with certain regulations that are mandatory. And operators are responsible for that.

"A guarantee" is not a word that can be used in ticket contracts.

We all just have to be realistic.

A cruise ship is a tiny peace of civilization in an endless ocean under mercy of mother nature.

No one knows what can happen next moment.

And no one can guarantee that it won't happen.

Relax and enjoy cruising.

It's safe and simply beautiful! :)

Honest question: would you board an American Airlines 777 with only one of two engines operational to full satisfactory criteria?

If you say no, Carnival was sailing Triumph dileberately with a failing engine known prone to causing fire. It'd be the same thing

Honest question: would you board an American Airlines 777 with only one of two engines operational to full satisfactory criteria?

If you say no, Carnival was sailing Triumph dileberately with a failing engine known prone to causing fire. It'd be the same thing

A 777 only has two engines.

CNN report just aired here on the west coast and Carnival also said they were not negligent. They knew there was a risk for over a year. I think they were negligent. Carnival's spokesman was stumbling a little over his words. I am not a carnival fan. Too bad they bought HAL.

Carnival is in big trouble. The truth is starting to come out and things will get ugly.

HAL and many of the other lines owned by Carnival Corp may end up leaving the Carnival Corp umbrella. I'm sure other cruise corporations would love to take them in.

This is a different topic, not related to "guarantee" and "ticket contracts" question that I answered.

No, I would not board.

Two things:

1. TV shows like sensations and like to serve them hot.

2. All incidents need to be investigated. Those responsible have to be resonsible.

Edited by cruisetrail

Carnival is in big trouble. The truth is starting to come out and things will get ugly.

HAL and many of the other lines owned by Carnival Corp may end up leaving the Carnival Corp umbrella. I'm sure other cruise corporations would love to take them in.

This is nothing new & I completely agree that the media always picks up on negatives in order to get the viewers interest... There are no guarantees of safe passage on airline tickets either..How in the world would you even think that Carnival would give up HAL which they purchased in the early 80's when HAL was about to declare bankrupcy..HAL could not pull out of the Carnival umbrella even if they wanted too..l

It is not just Carnival. EVERY Cruise line has a similar passage contract.

It is not just the cruise lines.

EVERY Airline has a similar passage contract.

Now I have 2 questions for you:

1. If you are so concerned (as I am and you should be) about such things, why is it that you have never read these contracts?

2. Now that you know that all the cruise lines and airlines have similar contracts, will you still fly and cruise anyway?

And allure of the seas is doing the same thing now. And oosterdam did it for NUMEROUS sailings a few years ago...

CNN report just aired here on the west coast and Carnival also said they were not negligent. They knew there was a risk for over a year. I think they were negligent. Carnival's spokesman was stumbling a little over his words. I am not a carnival fan. Too bad they bought HAL.

They bought HAL about 25 years ago. Everything you know about modern day HAL, the ships, everything... Was under carnival corp. the brands are run independently with the exception of large issues such as new ship orders, etc

It is not just Carnival. EVERY Cruise line has a similar passage contract.

It is not just the cruise lines.

EVERY Airline has a similar passage contract.

Now I have 2 questions for you:

1. If you are so concerned (as I am and you should be) about such things, why is it that you have never read these contracts?

2. Now that you know that all the cruise lines and airlines have similar contracts, will you still fly and cruise anyway?

Bruce, the contracts are indeed all similar and I've had the displeasure to read them. The contract isn't as upsetting as Carnival's stance here of not our problem." Any company regardless of kind, size or mission that cuts corners relating to safety deserve a close, rigorous questioning. Oceania is dealing with this due to improper pilot training.

I will fly and cruise, yes. I am a pilot so will let that stand alone and for cruising I will and am selective on who/whee I sail. I trust HAL more than most lines due to the Dutch tradition and on-board leadership.

I am by no means saying I'll boycott a line or group. But a company openly denying responsibility when their own records show deferred mandated maintenance stings.