Sorry, Another Labadee Question

Zigggypup

From RCI:

We apologize for the extended delay in our response. More customers than ever before are choosing the convenience of email as their primary mode of communication. As a result, the turnaround time for responses has increased. Acknowledging that this delay is unacceptable regardless of cause, we hope you will accept our apologies, and believe that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide.

We apologize for any confusion our website may have caused you.

Please find below your itinerary:

March 21, 2015 Cape Liberty, New Jersey

March 22, 2015 Cruising

March 23, 2015 Cruising

March 24, 2015 San Juan, Puerto Rico

March 25, 2015 Labadee, Haiti

March 26, 2015 Labadee, Haiti

March 27, 2015 Cruising

March 28, 2015 Cruising

March 29, 2015 Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Please inquire once onboard for planned activities while at Labadee, Haiti.

To view detailed information about the amazing shore excursions Royal Caribbean International has to offer, we encourage you to download a copy of our Shore Excursion Brochure:

From RCI:

We apologize for the extended delay in our response. More customers than ever before are choosing the convenience of email as their primary mode of communication. As a result, the turnaround time for responses has increased. Acknowledging that this delay is unacceptable regardless of cause, we hope you will accept our apologies, and believe that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide.

March 22, 2015 Cruising

March 23, 2015 Cruising

March 27, 2015 Cruising

March 28, 2015 Cruising

To view detailed information about the amazing shore excursions Royal Caribbean International has to offer, we encourage you to download a copy of our Shore Excursion Brochure:

Interesting response. Wonder what they will do with the Cabana reservations since the date on them is March 26. Still hoping they add another port.

Interesting response. Wonder what they will do with the Cabana reservations since the date on them is March 26. Still hoping they add another port.

I would guess that they would rent the Cabana's on the 26th, since that is the full day on the island.

From RCI:

March 22, 2015 Cruising

March 23, 2015 Cruising

March 27, 2015 Cruising

March 28, 2015 Cruising

What a bizarre itinerary

• 3 weeks later...

I actually came to the boards to see if anyone new why the change was made to that sailing as well....we are booked on the 21st of March. Not at all liking 2 ports of call....Labadee is beautiful....but overnight? I sent a message 2 days ago to Royal and have yet to hear back. I am hoping to get a reply by tomorrow. As in the past with any questions or comments I had sent them I had a very prompt response and even a phone call.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Labadee on both the Independence and the Allure within the last month. I went to the Information Center and asked if they had capabilities for over-nighting a ship or if they were working on anything. Very rapidly I was passed up the chain of command to a very informative gentleman. He immediately surmised that I was inquiring about a possible Quantum over-night.

I did not take notes, but will attempt to report as accurately as possible what I got out of the conversation (with admittedly some guesswork on my part). He said he had been asked "some time ago" by Miami what he thought about a ship over-nighting, and he apparently told them that he was less than enthusiastic about this turning out well. Never-the-less he is tasked with proceeding with planning for lighting and possible activities, but sounds like no money has been yet committed beyond planning. My guess is that there is sufficient time to accomplish whatever they wish to accomplish IF HQ decides to go that way. BUT if a final decision has been made to over-night, it has not reached the people who would have to do the work.

As an aside, this gentleman in the 1980s was the agent for NCL when they still stopped in Cap-Haitien (a city of 250,00 just across the mountain from Labadee). He ran tours for NCL to La Citadelle and Sans-Souci Palace, and apparently would love to do those again, but for a number of reasons (including both road and medical infrastructure issues) does not expect that to happen.

Thom

I was in Labadee on both the Independence and the Allure within the last month. I went to the Information Center and asked if they had capabilities for over-nighting a ship or if they were working on anything. Very rapidly I was passed up the chain of command to a very informative gentleman. He immediately surmised that I was inquiring about a possible Quantum over-night.

I did not take notes, but will attempt to report as accurately as possible what I got out of the conversation (with admittedly some guesswork on my part). He said he had been asked "some time ago" by Miami what he thought about a ship over-nighting, and he apparently told them that he was less than enthusiastic about this turning out well. Never-the-less he is tasked with proceeding with planning for lighting and possible activities, but sounds like no money has been yet committed beyond planning. My guess is that there is sufficient time to accomplish whatever they wish to accomplish IF HQ decides to go that way. BUT if a final decision has been made to over-night, it has not reached the people who would have to do the work.

As an aside, this gentleman in the 1980s was the agent for NCL when they still stopped in Cap-Haitien (a city of 250,00 just across the mountain from Labadee). He ran tours for NCL to La Citadelle and Sans-Souci Palace, and apparently would love to do those again, but for a number of reasons (including both road and medical infrastructure issues) does not expect that to happen.

Thom

Thanks for sharing this with us. Interesting to hear that they did consider an overnight in Labadee. Is the planning still on-going or dead since no funding has been committed? Right now I think there is only one Quantum sailing that still shows an overnight in Labadee, and that's the 3/21/15 sailing.

Interestingly today I received an email from RCI for a "Ports-of-Call" survey. I hope they would listen to our suggestions and make some needed changes. All I hear here on CC is that people want to see different ports of call including more Southern Caribbean ports. If other cruise lines can do it why can't Royal.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Interesting to hear that they did consider an overnight in Labadee. Is the planning still on-going or dead since no funding has been committed? Right now I think there is only one Quantum sailing that still shows an overnight in Labadee, and that's the 3/21/15 sailing.

Interestingly today I received an email from RCI for a "Ports-of-Call" survey. I hope they would listen to our suggestions and make some needed changes. All I hear here on CC is that people want to see different ports of call including more Southern Caribbean ports. If other cruise lines can do it why can't Royal.

Note that I am not absolutely sure of any the preceding or following. I assume that a list of materials for lighting with cost estimate for material and installation has been drawn up, and has been presented up the chain. My guess is that the remaining one year plus is plenty of time to accomplish lighting tasks (note that the dock in Labadee was completed on-time for the Oasis inaugural, while Falmouth lagged far behind). I assume that the local entertainers, vendors and support personnel have been contacted to confirm that they would be interested in additional time (given that the per capita income in Haiti is less than US$4 per day, I doubt there would be any difficulty finding people happy to work and have access to tips). I think the managers in Labadee are awaiting a decision from Miami, and if directed to proceed will accomplish what needs to be done.

Thom

Note that I am not absolutely sure of any the preceding or following. I assume that a list of materials for lighting with cost estimate for material and installation has been drawn up, and has been presented up the chain. My guess is that the remaining one year plus is plenty of time to accomplish lighting tasks (note that the dock in Labadee was completed on-time for the Oasis inaugural, while Falmouth lagged far behind). I assume that the local entertainers, vendors and support personnel have been contacted to confirm that they would be interested in additional time (given that the per capita income in Haiti is less than US$4 per day, I doubt there would be any difficulty finding people happy to work and have access to tips). I think the managers in Labadee are awaiting a decision from Miami, and if directed to proceed will accomplish what needs to be done.

Thom

Thanks. Unless they bring a "major" music star to perform during an overnight stay at Labadee people may drop the 3/21/15 sailing if the summer 2015 itineraries are great and pricing is reasonable.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We are sailing on this cruise as well. When I asked the RCI agent on the phone - SHE didn't believe that I was correct with the overnight in Haiti aspect. I asked what they expected to do overnight - could passengers get off etc. She put me on hold and came back with limited info. She said they have very "little info" about this overnight and to "stay tuned" to website for updates. Not very helpful.

We are sailing on this cruise as well. When I asked the RCI agent on the phone - SHE didn't believe that I was correct with the overnight in Haiti aspect. I asked what they expected to do overnight - could passengers get off etc. She put me on hold and came back with limited info. She said they have very "little info" about this overnight and to "stay tuned" to website for updates. Not very helpful.
I am NOT on this cruise, but I was the person who posted above about visiting the Site Manager last January seeing if I could find out more about this. I'll be in Labadee in a few weeks (29 Jan). Want me to ask again?

Thom

I am NOT on this cruise, but I was the person who posted above about visiting the Site Manager last January seeing if I could find out more about this. I'll be in Labadee in a few weeks (29 Jan). Want me to ask again?

Thom

That would be great. Hopefully SOMEONE will know what they are talking about eventually! LOL

I'm not on that cruise either, but I do stop in Labadee later this month (which isn't relevant either).

An overnighter in Labadee might be a freebie for the cruiseline from a port fee point of view since they own it. An overnighter in PR would be expensive. I agree, either would be a bummer, but I would much rather overnight in San Juan than Labadee. Not even close.