New York questions

trvlbug

Hi everyone,

We are going on the Norwegian Breakaway next September and I really need some help. We are flying in from the west coast and I am wondering what airport we should be flying into. I am looking at us staying at the Embassy Suites Secaucus Meadowlands. So whatever airport we land at we will have to grab a cab and get to the hotel. Is a cab the best way to go, there will be 4 of us with luggage? Then the morning of the cruise we would have to get to the port so again I am wondering if there is a shuttle or if we should be taking a cab. Thanks guys, I know you will give me some great advice and I appreciate it!

Trish

Four passengers with luggage in one standard taxi may be a no go. You may have to book a car service and reserve a larger vehicle such as a minivan .

You may want to consider using one of these car services:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

But yes, the basic idea is that from EWR to Secaucus a taxi, or in your situation a larger vehicle, will be the way to go, and then the same from your hotel to the cruise pier.

You can fly into any of the airports...EWR, JFK or LGA. The decision should be made based on airfare and airline schedule, and you should pick a hotel that makes sense based on the airport. You wouldn't want to stay in NJ if you're flying into LGA or JFK. If you want to stay in Manhattan you can fly into any of the airports.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks everyone,

I guess I am clueless as to where the pier is in relation to the airports etc. We are from Vancouver, Canada but I have found a good price out of Seattle. So you are saying that we should go to La Guardia to be near the pier for the Breakaway? We also have a tour lined up with onboardtours.com. We are to meet them at the west side of 7th avenue and west 53rd street near Maison Restaurant on the Saturday. So we have to consider that as well. If anyone knows of a decent hotel near where we are supposed to be perhaps you can help me out. First time to New York and Bermuda so very excited. Thanks to all of you! This is why I love CC so much!

Trish

I think you are fine in NJ. It's a quick bus trip from Secaucus to Port Authority, and even if you stay in NY, you will most likely take a cab to the port, too. Hotels tend to be less expensive in NJ. It really depends on your budget - LaGuardia isn't in Manhattan.

Thanks everyone,

I guess I am clueless as to where the pier is in relation to the airports etc. We are from Vancouver, Canada but I have found a good price out of Seattle. So you are saying that we should go to La Guardia to be near the pier for the Breakaway? We also have a tour lined up with onboardtours.com. We are to meet them at the west side of 7th avenue and west 53rd street near Maison Restaurant on the Saturday. So we have to consider that as well. If anyone knows of a decent hotel near where we are supposed to be perhaps you can help me out. First time to New York and Bermuda so very excited. Thanks to all of you! This is why I love CC so much!

Trish

Everyone has different desires when travelling but for us it was budget. We flew into JFK, stayed in Long Island City, and used public transportation the whole week prior including to/from hotel, pier and airport. Quite doable and super easy. Details are in my Breakaway review, link below.

My husband is having a hip replacement in January and I have bad knees and we managed just fine....no taxi's for us!

We fly from here. I always check all 3 APs. Just got an awesome deal (saving $150 pp) for flying out of JFK. It's my least favorite because it's the farthest from our house but the flight times make it so we will have a relatively leisurely trip to & from the AP.

Ground transportation costs can eat up flight savings. My general rule of thumb is I won't cross the Hudson River unless I'm saving at least $100 after gas, tolls, & general p.i.t.a. factor. If you have to pay for ground transportation, I'd up that figure to $200.

EWR is closer to your hotel. LGA is closer to the pier but EWR isn't that bad. Your most expensive option will be JFK to the Secaucus, so bear that in mind when picking an AP.

NY traffic can be brutal. The last 2 times I was in Manhattan it took me over an hour to drive what should have been 15 minutes.