For the loyal

Tutankhamen

Cheap prices and convenient ports of embarkation. If they increased prices and stopped sailing from my 2 closest ports of call, I would probably forget that Carnival even exists.

Exact situation here. So close to home and cheapest prices. We only cruise once a year so our budget says "CARNIVAL"

What would have to change at Carnival to get you to cruise with another line? With all the talk of menu's and tablecloths, I am curious about those who are still loyal and what it would take for you to leave Carnival.

For me, the Comedy shows would be the last straw. Pull them, and I would be gone. Do not care much for food and dining, so that isn't a big deal to me. Live music, eh not a deal breaker.

My deal breaker was getting up and dressed for a nice MDR breakfast (rather than stumbling up to buffet in PJs) and having to pour my own coffee off the beverage stand. I should have stuck with the buffet, except some of the days I tried, there were no coffee cups, and then when the coffee cups came, there was no coffee. I realize this makes me look like a coffee addict (guilty?) but its just a low standard for even a hotel lobby.

I have a new cruise line now.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

If we have another cruise with a terrible cruise director where things run late and not much to do on the ship. Plus if they cut the buffet down anymore we are going to be switching.

After doing Norwegian one time and yes it seems everybody was a sleep early Carnival has never mad a Chocolate buffet like theirs.We are starting to think of other cruise lines..

If they take away the chocolate covered strawberries for plat, I am gone..

jimbo, knowing how you post, you are probably being sarcastic. But on our Fascination cruise 2 weeks ago (5 nights) we did not receive these, and even had to go to Guest Services to ask if we were getting a Platinum gift.:(

Leaving the Port of New Orleans would be the only reason.

Don't care about shows, itineraries, food, kids programs, comedy, food venues, DJs, live music, loyalty programs, or tablecloths - whatever there is/isn't is fine with me.

Just want to cruise and relax on a nice, comfortable ship at at an easy to get to port.

If you don't cruise for any of these, why cruise?:confused: You can relax at a motel for this.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Guess we pretty much already hit the last straw on The Breeze. Really beautiful ship but the evening shows were pathetic, MDR service slow, because of the staff cutbacks, and food quality was sub standard. We'd maybe cruise CCL again but realize it's a real Budget Inn line. We'll pay the little extra and continue to enjoy other cruise lines.

jimbo, knowing how you post, you are probably being sarcastic. But on our Fascination cruise 2 weeks ago (5 nights) we did not receive these, and even had to go to Guest Services to ask if we were getting a Platinum gift.:(

I sort of was being sarcastic. That being said, we do enjoy them as well as the rest of the platinum items. If we did not get them we would be upset.

I am that predictable in my posting ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

If you don't cruise for any of these, why cruise?:confused: You can relax at a motel for this.

You obviously missed the most important part of my post...

Just want to cruise and relax on a nice, comfortable ship at at an easy to get to port.

I don't stay at motels ever and all of the superfluous stuff that people get crazy about mean nothing to me.

There will be food and it will be good, there will be fun drinks, I'll have a very nice balcony cabin, and I'll be on a lovely ship - that's all I need.

I don't care about CDs either or poolside activities.

You obviously missed the most important part of my post...

I don't stay at motels ever and all of the superfluous stuff that people get crazy about mean nothing to me.

There will be food and it will be good, there will be fun drinks, I'll have a very nice balcony cabin, and I'll be on a lovely ship - that's all I need.

I don't care about CDs either or poolside activities.

I am with you. I never really got the "which CD will we have?" Or "what deck activities". To be honest, I am a bit envious of people that really get excited of activities like hairy belly contest. Give me a balcony, the ocean, a beach when in port and some food options and I am good. Punchliners is what calls me back to CCL. If it wasn't for that, there would be no real draw to CCL.

I am all about the price. If I find prices on other lines comparable to Carnival, I sail them. Lately Carnival has been cheaper so lately I have been sailing Carnival.

Seems like price is the reason most people stick with Carnival. I guess as long as Carnival keeps their prices low, they will have a loyal following.

Food isn't an issue because I wasn't thrilled with the food on NCL or Princess. For us the bottom line is price. With a child in school and it being very difficult to deal with unexcused absences we can only cruise during high price times so right now we choose by price. When that is no longer an issue I would say Itinerary will play a big factor.

For those that don't get the CD issue I can say that when I started cruising I didn't care, but then we had this awful CD. He was so fake and I couldn't stand hearing his voice. 2 cruise later we got this high energy, funny, absolutely genuine CD (Weeeee Jimmy) and I loved to watch the morning show and enjoyed participating in the activities he was leading.

I would say that usually the CD doesn't matter but yes a CD can make or break a cruise.

I've tried the othe cruise lines and none of them had anything that special, that would make me leave Carnival. Not only is the price right, but the ships are amazing and the is perfect for the DH and I. We've been cruising them since the early 80's. Can the shows be better productions like they were 10 years ago, yeah but not a deal breaker. The food has always been good in our book, because if we don't like something we try another dish. Platinum passenger and loving it!!

Would you rather pay more or have a few cutbacks ? Me,I want a cheap price so I can cruise 3 or 4 times a yr. Any think they feed me is better then I cook at home. Things have been taken away but thing have been added to. I don't fly first class to the port and I stay in a inside cabin. If people want better and can afford it cruise some where else and pay two times the cost. For me keep my price cheap. OH, I don't stay in a 5 star pre cruise. I will be at a holiday inn. Just clean and I'm happy.

Terry I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

I think Carnival cruises are very good value for money, and I realize they have to cut corners to stay competitive in this economy.

But maybe we need to rethink the idea of a cruise, it is not all luxury; it can't be for these prices, if we accept this and still cruise (all be it without tablecloths for instance) then we have a very nice vacation at a cheap price in my opinion.

Personally I like the table linens, (just pointing this out as an example as this is an issue right now) and I like the service we expect from a cruise ship. At the same time we know everything isn't doable from what Carnival charges.

We cannot expect 5* service at budget prices.

I would just like to add that I do not sail with CCl because it is cheap, my first cruise was with Princess and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on (husband was/ is a cruiser and thought Princess would be better, because of that experience I will never go with princess again)

I've been on RC, and wasn't impressed either.

To balance this, Windstar was excellent, but this was a different price bracket

Terry I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

I think Carnival cruises are very good value for money, and I realize they have to cut corners to stay competitive in this economy.

But maybe we need to rethink the idea of a cruise, it is not all luxury; it can't be for these prices, if we accept this and still cruise (all be it without tablecloths for instance) then we have a very nice vacation at a cheap price in my opinion.

Personally I like the table linens, (just pointing this out as an example as this is an issue right now) and I like the service we expect from a cruise ship. At the same time we know everything isn't doable from what Carnival charges.

We cannot expect 5* service at budget prices.

You must be a new cruiser. Carnival used to be a great value for the money but this is no longer the case. They are well into a transformation project to become a budget cruise line - not a value-packed cruise line. Carnival used to be well known and respected for 5 star service at a value price. Carnival used to offer soo much more and still be around the price point it is today.

You must be a new cruiser. Carnival used to be a great value for the money but this is no longer the case. They are well into a transformation project to become a budget cruise line - not a value-packed cruise line. Carnival used to be well known and respected for 5 star service at a value price. Carnival used to offer soo much more and still be around the price point it is today.

I count about 8 points. 7 being sold as fact, when in fact they are just opinions.

The last point may hold some water. But you would then have to calculate in inflation.

What would have to change at Carnival to get you to cruise with another line?
Royal Caribbean would need to be boarding passengers

at Barbados where I live

just 10 mins. away from the Port where I now conveniently board Carnival.

For me, boarding here at Barbados is a BIG Plus!