Size of room safes on Veendam???

bizzwriter

Anyone know how large the room safes are on the Veendam? I asked the HAL folks by phone and was told 21cm x 21cm x35cm (approx 8" x 8" x 14").

Really??? This seems VERY small to me -- no way my laptop would fit.

Please advise -- I need to bring my laptop! Thanks!

Anything larger than about a 10" netbook will not fit. The door opening is 10" by 6.75", and it is 8" deep, so a netbook or tablet can be angled in.

You can make a larger laptop slightly more secure by putting it in the locking top drawer of the nightstand, but I never bother unless there is some work scheduled to be done in the room by someone other than the regular stewards.

p.s. - welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum! :)

Edited by jtl513

I have left my netbook on the counter in our cabin at least 25 cruises and never had an issue. I have a lock I could attach but have never bothered.

If you don't wish to do that, the advice about the lock drawer is a good idea or lock it in one of your suitcases and store it under your bed.

I've never had any issues.
There's always a first time! :) I'm not comfortable about leaving a computer unsecured in a hotel room where someone can steal it an leave the building in minutes. Edited by catl331

There's always a first time! :) I'm not comfortable about leaving a computer unsecured in a hotel room where someone can steal it an leave the building in minutes.

Well that's what security on the laptop is for and insurance. I have everything on it backed up at home. Nothing is ever 100% safe. I could have my house broken into and it might get stolen as well.

Anyone know how large the room safes are on the Veendam? I asked the HAL folks by phone and was told 21cm x 21cm x35cm (approx 8" x 8" x 14").

Anything larger than about a 10" netbook will not fit. The door opening is 10" by 6.75", and it is 8" deep, so a netbook or tablet can be angled in.

You can make a larger laptop slightly more secure by putting it in the locking top drawer of the nightstand, but I never bother unless there is some work scheduled to be done in the room by someone other than the regular stewards.

p.s. - welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum! :)

Our safe on the Veendam

1zexnyx.jpg

2afl7y1.jpg

Our safe on the Veendam

Note that I gave the door opening size, not the inside width and height. If that door was hinged differently some laptops might fit by sloping them from rear-top to front-bottom.

Edited by jtl513

Agree the safes are small..Our 10 X 15 laptop would never fit in them. .Only cse it for my jewelry, passports & money..

Agree your best bet would be to lock it up in the bedside drawer, especially if you need it for work..

If the key is missing ask the Front Desk or Steward to get you a new key..

Enjoy your cruise..Betty

The older ships have smaller safes.

The two Signatures have the largest and can easily accommodate a good size notebook.

LOL...shows how much I pay attention....we've cruised on S class, Vista class, and most recently Signature class...and I never noticed a difference in size.

This topic makes me smile. When we travel with our laptop we never worry about putting it in a secure safe. Very few folks (especially cabin stewards) have any interest in stealing most laptops.... But when we have our iPad, then we always try to keep it locked-up in a safe. The Veendam safes are large enough for iPads and will probably hold 14-15 inch laptops. Not sure if a 17 inch would fit.....

Hank

The Veendam safes ... will probably hold 14-15 inch laptops.
Definitely not. The diagonal of the opening is only 12 inches, and they are only 8 inches deep. A 10 inch netbook is about the limit. Edited by jtl513