Visa Requirements for Celebrity Ports

C 2 C

Is there any other site where returning passengers record their experience with obtaining visas while on a ship or prior to departure?

There are a number of countries that make it an easy process. Turkey for instance requires a visa if arriving by air but not by ship. The visa can be obtained on line with an immediate print out available.

If one goes to Asia, past reports indicate that some visas can be obtained on board but Celebrity does not necessarily give the correct response when contacted on land.

Could anyone share their experience with obtaining Visas for India, Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Philippines, or even any other port where Celebrity stops and visas are required?

Is there any other site where returning passengers record their experience with obtaining visas while on a ship or prior to departure?

There are a number of countries that make it an easy process. Turkey for instance requires a visa if arriving by air but not by ship. The visa can be obtained on line with an immediate print out available.

If one goes to Asia, past reports indicate that some visas can be obtained on board but Celebrity does not necessarily give the correct response when contacted on land.

Could anyone share their experience with obtaining Visas for India, Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Philippines, or even any other port where Celebrity stops and visas are required?

This website provides detailed information for US citizens travelling abroad.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4965.html

There are similar sites for citizens of other countries. My preference is to acquire any required visas in advance of travel, possibly an easier task living in a national capital with official representation from all countries I'd be likely to visit.

Here is the link on the Celebrity web site that will answer your questions about Visas. Click on the “Pre-Cruise “section and then click on” What documents will I need to travel? “ Then scroll down to “Visas” and the click on Click here for more information on Visa Requirements.. http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faq.do?pagename=footer_pages_faq#1

Please note that it is the Passenger’s responsibility to obtain the proper visas before boarding the ship. Without the proper visas, you will be denied boarding whether or not you plan to leave the ship at a particular port/country where visas are required.

If you are asking about Mainland China you need to obtain a visa yourself. Same is true for India.

You need to check with Celebrity about other areas you have listed. Most cruise lines obtain the visa for you on board the ship for Vietnam but again you need to confirm with Celebrity about these.

But for China and India no question you need to get them yourself.

No visa required though for Hong Kong.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

But Azamara has an account with CIBT Visa Central that is available for guest use... Best I can tell, guests who use the Azamara account access Visa Central Reps--via a dedicated phone line--who are very familiar with Azamara's itineraries [for instance, they confirmed--as Azamara has consistently represented--that I'll be able to get my visa for Vietnam while aboard Journey]... If interested, Azamara guests receive a discount on Visa Central's concierge services [essentially guests complete a questionnaire and they complete the applications for your review/signature; I didn't avail myself of it though I did use Visa Central in securing my visa for China or for a pre-cruise land tour to Cambodia]...

I was very impressed by the knowledge, helpfulness, and professionalism of the Visa Central staff and--though the applications took some time [the one for China is four typed pages long and requires meticulous, extensive documentation]--I had both visas, one processed in Houston and the other in Washington, and my passport back within two weeks [inclusive of the two day US Thanksgiving holiday] of submittal...

Their website--seemingly they have a Canadian version and operation too, Arno--is a treasure trove of thorough/up-to-date information [China changed its application in August; an update was available online virtually immediately]... One need not have an account affiliation--such as the one I had access to through Azamara--to use their website or services...

I would use them again--no, I'm not affiliated with them--without hesitation... They reviewed my applications and documentation for accuracy/completeness before sending them off to the Consulates so as to avoid problems during processing... And they did an outstanding job of orchestrating multiple transactions seamlessly... All in all, it was far less painful a process--but it did require a good bit of my time upfront--than I had anticipated...

Hope this helps...

Cibit/visa central operate world wide but are very expensive - certainly their add on fees in the UK for example if you pay by credit card borders on being at a level very close to triggering regulatory investigation. We were over £200 cheaper doing our own visas in India

I think it would be way too risky given how often requirements change and how they vary - considerations such as country of passport issue, current country of residence, country of birth, other visas in your passport to safely offer this advice. Given how inaccurate their sites are even for simple things like who can eat where I would suggest we all stick with finding our own info

On our Asian cruise in Jan the only visa we needed was in Vietnam. 35 USD if staying overnight in the ship, 110 USD if staying overnight ashore. Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia, none required for US Citizens. There was no difference between nationalities for Vietnam. I have no clue for Canadians in the others countries, eh. The the ship took care of everything. ~ Rick

Edited by RMSeadog
Whisky

On our Asian cruise in Jan the only visa we needed was in Vietnam. 35 USD if staying overnight in the ship, 110 USD if staying overnight ashore. Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia, none required for US Citizens. There was no difference between nationalities for Vietnam. I have no clue for Canadians in the others countries, eh. The the ship took care of everything. ~ Rick

You, Sir, are dating yourself. :) Lead paragraphs from a story in yesterday's paper:

“Eh” is dying. It’s not dead yet, but the vultures are circling.

More precisely, the vultures are circling, right?

“Right” has moved in, elbowing “eh” out of the way among young, urban speakers of Canadian English.

“Eh is this quintessential thing that we think of as being so Canadian,” says Sali Tagliamonte, a linguist at the University of Toronto.

“In Toronto, and I would expect other cities like Ottawa and Vancouver . . . there’s a massive decline in the use of ‘eh.’ My kids don’t use it. They just don’t. They use something else.”

“Eh was the one that kind of identified Canadians for the longest time. But when I talk to my kids (they say), ‘I don’t want to sound like an old man!’”

You might consider reviewing some of the roll call threads of those itineraries that require visas. For example, on our Asia cruise on Princess, several folks discussed the visa requirements and several folks got together and went to NYC to meet for a day and get the required visas in one day without the middleman.

There is also information here in the Port of Call section. I remember a post regarding obtaining the Cambodia visa upon arrival at the airport.

CC has a wealth of information, its not always in one place. But the best advice is to check it out on the cruse site itself. Requirements are always changing.

• 3 weeks later...