Compensation for ruined cruise

COCruiser13

We don't know this. See my subsequent post.

I see what you mean if it happened the way you guess it may have happened.

I'm just taking the OP's post at face value. I'm making the assumption that they had in writing that for their specific cruise their youngest would be allowed to participate in the kid's area.

It certainly could have happened differently and if it did, my opinion may change. My only point is if the cruise line promised something that the OP didn't get, they should acknowledge it and throw some OBC or something their way.

yes I did call and was politely told that as of X date children would be allowed and that no plans were in place to allow anyone who had a problem with that to change or cancel their reservation. and yes we were past final payment and no our travel insurance did not cover policy changes (and no no kids here with no way of changing that situation)

as for the huge compensation thing: my interpretation of the OP's first post and overstating that her cruise was completely ruined. furthermore she has not yet given us her preferred method/a type/amount of compensation. I mean what IS acceptable for having to spend an extra 18 hours with your kid? how do you quantify how much his 'sadness' is worth?

and yes I know parents like free alone adult time. I get that and fully agree it is necessary to raise happy healthy kids and not go insane doing it. But what do you do when the kids get sick last minute and all your plans get tossed out the window? our Wardroom Holiday party was the other day, and a few parents had to split up and the civilian spouse stayed home cuz the kids were sick. I the wardroom won't refund the ticket cost as the food and drinks were there, and it is a shame that you weren't able to enjoy but oh well.

You are questioning parenting do your thing/best with yours. There are times an extra second with mine feels like death. I barely made it through Rome with my son who actually asked why do I have to go and see the Colosseum. I did not cruise when my kids when they were younger because getting stuck with a whining child on a moving ship would be a fate I see close to death. If she doesn't want to spend time with her kids on this trip fine, as much I don't want to spend it with mine on most of our anniversaries. The minute you put anything out there about kids there is the perfect parent preaching or flaming about being better. Not everyone who questions other parenting is really that confident about theirs. I love my kids but I don't always want them around, the same with DH:D!

Again, the business failed to communicate. When this happened on my land vacation they offered an apology and credit of my vacation but an apology would have been enough because I don't liked to be lied to. Maybe we should take the post as stated, face value. We did not pay for this cruise so we could say she was not on it as someone said about one of mine.

Edited by Blk_Amish

yes I did call and was politely told that as of X date children would be allowed and that no plans were in place to allow anyone who had a problem with that to change or cancel their reservation. and yes we were past final payment and no our travel insurance did not cover policy changes (and no no kids here with no way of changing that situation)

as for the huge compensation thing: my interpretation of the OP's first post and overstating that her cruise was completely ruined. furthermore she has not yet given us her preferred method/a type/amount of compensation. I mean what IS acceptable for having to spend an extra 18 hours with your kid? how do you quantify how much his 'sadness' is worth?

and yes I know parents like free alone adult time. I get that and fully agree it is necessary to raise happy healthy kids and not go insane doing it. But what do you do when the kids get sick last minute and all your plans get tossed out the window? our Wardroom Holiday party was the other day, and a few parents had to split up and the civilian spouse stayed home cuz the kids were sick. I the wardroom won't refund the ticket cost as the food and drinks were there, and it is a shame that you weren't able to enjoy but oh well.

Taking care of your ill child is an honor not a burden. When my DD's are sick there is no where else in the world that I would rather be than by their side.The OP's situation can not be compared to missing a party to take care of your ill child.

Edited by Karysa

I guess we are just going to have to call the NSA and have them send over a copy of the email. Sorry sarcasm just jumps out sometimes.

The OP isn't coming back we all know the quickest way to turn some one off is to comment on their parenting.

Thank you.

A little humor in this thread is welcome :D ...... at least it is by me!

Taking care of your ill child is an honor not a burden. When my DD's are sick there is no where else in the world that I would rather be than by their side.The OP's situation can not be compared to missing a party to take care of your ill child.

A lighter spin on the meal situation. I had my first open heart surgery when my son (now 18 ) was 10 weeks old. Shortly after, I had the same issues, meaning I was up for a do over. So we were in a restaurant when I started to get massive chest pains. They rushed me out, but since the pain subsided we went back home to contact Loma Linda. We started to talk and my DH mentioned that we did not eat. I slowly went into my pocket a took the coupon that was on the table. As you can guess, he was beside himself that in the throws of death his wife had present of mind to take the 2 for 1 coupon. I thought it was a good deal whether or not I was around to enjoy it or I was confident I would be back to use it. His take on why might be slightly different.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I can not articulate just how happy I am that you came down on the opposite side of me again on this. You laugh but I am really serious. :)

Being serious doesn't make you right. :rolleyes:

One thing that your posts frequently do is attack others who don't agree with you. I am proud of being attacked by you. It means that my views on life still have a high level of integrity and common sense.

Edited by swsfrail

Again, the business failed to communicate. When this happened on my land vacation they offered an apology and credit of my vacation but an apology would have been enough because I don't liked to be lied to. Maybe we should take the post as stated, face value. We did not pay for this cruise so we could say she was not on it as someone said about one of mine.

It was most likely that business failed to communicate rather than lying as you've said in a number of your posts.;)

One thing that your posts frequently do is attack others who don't agree with you. I am proud of being attacked by you. It means that my views on life still have a high level of integrity and common sense.

I see your method. You write something that isn't clever and then post it. When someone writes a witty response you change your post.

You did this twice to me on this page.

I will take it as a badge of honor.

Who went and made you a moderator? The OP is not entitled to any compensation, if this event even happened.

What does the OP's parenting choices have to do with whether the cruise line failed to deliver what they promised (or not?)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My father had a saying that I has served me well over all these years: "Everyone had a right to be wrong". Not being a hypocrite, I can't complain about YOUR right to be wrong, now can I? :D

As to you and I being on the same side of a discussion - I don't think that will ever happen. I don't see life with the entitlement perspective that you do, so no, we will always be on different sides. I am in my mid 80s. I have been through too much, including the Great Depression and WWII, to think that I am owed anything in life. I have learned that life is what we make of it, not what we can get from someone else.

exactly.. don't see application of common sense on CC very often.

What does the OP's parenting choices have to do with whether the cruise line failed to deliver what they promised (or not?)

It doesn't and that's the point that so many on here have missed completely.

Back to the topic and away from parenting;)

I bet that there is an insurance issue involved. It's one thing to move kids around the groups (as long as the kid/counslor ratios are kept) but completely another to include a child outside the scope of the cruiseline's insuracne policy.

I'm not discussing travelers insurance but the cruiseline's own insurance policy. On several cruises we have seen the yellow overall-ed Lloyd's employees checking out the ship.

It was most likely that business failed to communicate rather than lying as you've said in a number of your posts.;)

There is a HUGE difference between lying and not telling the truth.

And OP still isn't due any compensation from the company.

From what you have written, you did everything YOU could to assure that your son was eligible for the kid's club prior to sailing. Your cruise line's response, in writing, is what I would use as a basis for a short but concise letter requesting some compensation.

I have had enormous success with brief, well-written letters of inquiry regarding refunds, etc. I write to the head of any company and include anything that documents phone calls, actions, responses, etc. I always cc my attorney on the letter and send the letter return-receipt so that I will have the date the letter was received and the name of the recipient. I would not mention the missed port in your letter as weather is not within anyone's control. Also, keep the tone businesslike; don't use emotion-based statements such as "our cruise was ruined," etc. as that is a subjective statement and discredits what is a fact, one that can be proven by the cruise line's in-writing response.

As to how much compensation you are due, only you and the cruise line can ascertain what is fair, or reasonable and customary in a similar situation. Yes, you signed the cruise contract but some companies still strive to maintain good consumer relations when their customer has been given incorrect information from said company's employee.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Happy holidays.

Back to the topic and away from parenting;)

I bet that there is an insurance issue involved. It's one thing to move kids around the groups (as long as the kid/counslor ratios are kept) but completely another to include a child outside the scope of the cruiseline's insuracne policy.

I'm not discussing travelers insurance but the cruiseline's own insurance policy. On several cruises we have seen the yellow overall-ed Lloyd's employees checking out the ship.

This is a possible explanation. Good point. Still would have been a nice gesture if they would have offered this couple a few nights of free babysitting.

Edited by Karysa

This is a possible explanation. Good point. Still would have been a nice gesture if they would have offered this couple a few nights of fee babysitting.

Do they offer in-room babysitting or a nursery? I asked this earlier but got no response. If they do, then in my opinion, the OP should have simply gone that route to be able to have an anniversary dinner with her husband and mitigate the situation.

Why Insurance plans are important..

Insurance would have not helped in this situation.

While I am sympathetic to the OP, its not reasonable to believe a cruise line should notify every booked passenger, on every cruise, on a every ship when there is a change in some policy. Just not feasible.

The fact that he was told he would not have a problem and then did is another matter and does point to a less than stellar opinion on their customer service.