Beauty items you can't live without when you travel

ClassyGame

My go-to beauty item would have to be dry shampoo. It's the only way I can get away with not washing every day and it also helps give my hair some volume.

I've tried two different kinds of dry shampoo after doing lots of research. I have very fine hair, but a lot of hair. I cannot get this to work for me. It ends up leaving my hair feeling as it would feel if I had put a ton of hairspray on it the day before and then brushed it out. It's not gummy, but I can't think of a good description. Also, I can never totally brush out the powdery stuff, making my hair look very dull. I must be doing something wrong since so many people swear by it!

It's not gummy, but I can't think of a good description. Also, I can never totally brush out the powdery stuff, making my hair look very dull.

Different people have different tolerances, and desires for their hair & end result. A dry shampoo/texturizer is going to give you body like crazy, but it's not going to give you shine. Silicone treatments give you shine - I hate them because I think they make my hair look greasy. But others swear by them. Go figure:D

I hate tinted stuff - all the BB & CC creams are tinted so I've never tried them. Boo:rolleyes: I even tried the very lightly tinted Aveeno moisturizer with spf and it was too tinted.

However, in the past year I'm more critical of my spots (age, you know:cool:) so maybe tint is in my future:p

I'm with you there on the tint issue and any alphabet creams…

I just got a trial size of Caudalie Vinoperfect Day Perfecting Fluid (thanks Sephora VIB points!), with broad spectrum SPF15. It comes out of the tube tinted, but I swear, when I put it on, I do NOT see any of the nasty tint - my skin looks like my skin!! It definitely is NOT cheap, but I may spring for a full-size tube of it when my other stuff runs out. I may like it better than my standby Laura Mercier :eek:

I bring all my regular, work-week makeup items to wear at night. For daytime though, I do bring a few "special" things. I live in Florida, so these items get use on non-cruise beach days too!

1. NYX retractable eyeliner in Aqua Green: I wear this on my lower lashline only (I have large eyes, and lining the top looks too harsh for the beach) during beach/excursion/poolside days. It's not promoted as waterproof, but it lasts all day on me. I think this costs $3 or $4 so it's a real bargain. If you're like me, and don't wear Aqua Green liner on a daily basis, then it's really a bargain!

2. SEPHORA COLLECTION Jumbo Liner 12HR Wear Waterproof in Taupe: I'll usually wear this all over my lid. It stays. All day. I would wear it to work, except I like to wash my makeup off quickly when I get home.

3. Korres Lip Butter in Mango: This doesn't have any real staying power, but feels incredible on lips that get dry in the sun. I've had the same pot for awhile and only really wear it to the beach. Honestly, I'll probably switch to Maybelline BabyLips for the upcoming season...cheaper and feels just as good!

Other than that, my face is foundation free with only sunscreen and my go-to mascara (Clinique Lash Power). I've attached a picture of my normal "beach" face, wearing the products mentioned above. This was taken hours after applying and after swimming :D

P5140875.jpg.6f6a4f5ee3dd59ea1fddf2bdad0c4265.jpg

Hey all! I thought it would be interesting to see what products other cruisers can't leave home without when they go on a trip. I'm always on the hunt for new beauty stuff to try! :)

Here are mine:

- Bautiste dry shampoo - lifesaver for in-between washes!

- My Clarasonic

- Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray - my face gets so oily in the humidity!

- NARS eyeshadow primer - the only way my eyeshadow will last without creasing.

- Lorac Unzipped eyeshadow palette - probably my favorite eyeshadow palette of all time! It has my favorite colors for everyday, plus some gorgeous shades to smoke it up at night.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

Love my Clarsonic...and I cannot travel without my Lamere creme.

I have a long list of must have beauty/cosmetic products that I bring along while cruising...My favorites are Clinique City block facial sunscreen and also the CC cream with Spf as well. I am pretty fair and do tan a little but hate to burn.

My favorite eyeliner is from Makeup for Ever...it is pretty waterproof so stays on during the day but is easy to remove with facial cleanser. I love Aveda shampoo and styling products. The hair dryer on the ship is way too weak for my hair so I always bring my own along (travel size). I also try to find a beach scented Philosophy shower gel and lotion before traveling. Sometimes they are hard to find this time of year...they seem to come out a little later in the spring. I lucked out at Marshalls and found some there!

I really enjoy the fashion/beauty board for fashion tips!

Happy Cruising everyone!

Deb

Bare Minerals powder foundation- you can layer to get more coverage for those fancy nights!

Milani waterproof eye liner

Mary Kay waterproof mascara

tinted lip balm- burts bee's

Garnier cleansing cloths for sensitive skin- these guys work!

Urban Decay de-slick spray- I just discovered this product & can't live without it!

Clarisonic

La Roche posay mattifying moisturizer

Any neutral eye colors for evening

Great post to get ideas on other products!!

10 previous cruises- hoping to book RC Quatum soon!!

Take your own hair products in small containers as the products on board are awful. I also take a bar of deodorant soap for the same reason.

Sunscreen is a must.

That depends in your cruise and legal of accommodation.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

What is a legal of accommodation?:confused:

Level, I assume:p

And I agree, because some places offer very nice quality products. But I never know what will be stocked - companies change their products all the time - so I always carry my own basics.

-I love Neutrogena facial moisturizer with SPF 15 for when I will be out in the sun, as I dislike using commercial sunscreen on my face. It works really well and is sold in small tubes, very easy for travel.

-I bring a small loofa that I throw away at the end of the cruise. Sometimes the beach sand is fine and you need this for exfoliation.

-Turbie twist for my hair, as the small towel is too small, the big one too large after a shampoo.

-I bring a travel size of my facial soap (Dove).

-Lip crème with SPF 20.

I'm a self confessed bare minimalist when it comes to cosmetics but I have super sensitive skin.

I always take my own sunscreen (Neutrogena 110+), Physiohex antibac body wash and Garnier citrus face wash and will take a few basic makeup items for formal evenings but use no make up on a daily basis. I'm a Maybelline BB cream advocate but can happily live without makeup if packing it was an issue.

I too, with long hair don't wash every day, and if I'm going to be away longer than needing 2 washes will take my own shampoo - anything else always seems to wreck my hair.

The one luxury item that no one has mentioned that I can't live without is a refreshing eye/face/beauty serum. My go to brand is Clarins which I always try to stock up on tax free :D I find it invaluable for using before dinner after a long day in the sun or after a big night - to me it really feels like it wakes me up. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll jump in:)

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towlettes

BB Cream

NARS Color Stick

Color Tattoo eyeshadow-stays in place and does not move

Second, the Olay cloths

Philosophy acne treatment stick

Sample size Clinique Happy

I've been using Clinique products for half of my life! So all my makeup and face products, eye products, lip products, body products, and suncreen are all Clinique. I always look forward to their gift-with-purchase campaigns so that I can get travel-sized products.

These are my other must take alongs:

A package of makeup remover cloths, a small set of makeup brushes, tweezers, and an eyelash curler.

My hair products, which are all by Granier.

Nail polish, polish remover, a small manicure kit and for my feet, a small pumice stone:.

Last, but not least, a small bottle of one of my perfumes (I have several favorites).

A sun hat and several sunglasses are also a must. I know that some of this is not makeup per se but I listed all the things I take for the entire body. LOL!:D

Edited by mousey

I've been using Clinique products for half of my life! So all my makeup and face products, eye products, lip products, body products, and suncreen are all Clinique. I always look forward to their gift-with-purchase campaigns so that I can get travel-sized products.

Clinique Bonus Time is my favorite! I love collecting their moisturizers and trial size. Like you said, perfect for travel! Raised on the stuff.

Thanks!:D I hope it is going on at mine. I would really like to try their BB or CC Cream. It sounds amazing!:D

I would like to try them also!:D We don't have a Dillard's here in SO CAL, I'm going to check out Macy's or Nordstrom's to see if they're having a bonus gift special.

Lwilli34, Me too! It works great for me. :)

Edited by mousey