Question regarding escalating complaints

elycelynne

Not that I'm planning to board the ship and start complaining, but I was wondering -- In case I ever encounter something that doesn't get taken care of (like no air-conditioning or toilet that doesn't flush) or a situation where I'm getting the runaround from the front desk, what's the official chain of command? I assume that I wouldn't go right to the Hotel Manager or the Guest Relations Manager. Or would I?

Apparently I know nothing about protocol. :o

I believe that you would first request to see the GRM & if then necessary, the HM would be the next person to see. ;)

There are various Department Heads which would be able to address particular issues that relate to their milieu......

Dining Room Manager for an issue in MDR with a steward or service or whatever.

Chief Housekeeper for a problem relating to your cabin maintenance or housekeeping in general.

Culinary Operations Manager

Bar Manager

Hotel Manager has staffing beneath him and you can approach those who deal with the department concering your issue.

Yes, but how do you get to the hotel manager? I'd like to hear that. I think if you are in a Neptune suite that would be easier done than someone in a balcony cabin or lower. Sure hope someone will provide that answer.

Being in a PS or a Neptune Suite doesn't make any difference.

We have encountered a few things on a ship, talked to the concierges -- they could not resolve the problems. So we went down to the Guest Manager -- could not get past the front desk as they kept referring us to our concierges and we kept explaining that they couldn't do anything for us.

After a couple of days, on one ship we ran into the Hotel Director and one problem on one ship was solved.

But others -- letter to Seattle.

heavens, and all of this on a supposedly 'premium' cruise line. that's a laugh, isn[t it? if this were a 'premium' line, most or not all of these complaints would not happen in the first place. and the pax are at the MERCY of the front desk, grm, hd, and on and on. the next step down is something like those cruises in which you bring your own food and make your own bed. right up there with ocean village. hal is just the joke of the cruising world; i knew from my last cruise last may from ft.laud to montreal. it was a torture, confined on a cattle boat, it horrid weather, and little to poor service. i felt like i spent 15 days in a prison. oh, heavens, deliver me.

There are various Department Heads which would be able to address particular issues that relate to their milieu......

Chief Housekeeper for a problem relating to your cabin maintenance or housekeeping in general.

Bar Manager

Hotel Manager has staffing beneath him and you can approach those who deal with the department concering your issue.

Wouldn't it be a lot more professional and customer friendly to be able to lodge a complaint with either the front desk or concierge and know they would handle it with the proper department or manager rather than have the pax run around investigating who to talk to and where and how to contact them? Then the pax might not have to spend so much vacation time trying to get a working toilet or a liveable cabin that they have paid good money for. Somehow it seems to be forgotten that it is the pax who is paying the salaries of the officers and staff.

All I was doing in my post was suggesting alternatives. Should you pass a housekeeping supervisor on your deck, it is entirely appropriate to stop him/her and mention your issue. They are often seen checking cabins, walking the hallways and are often very accessible at the moment you want to speak with 'someone' who can help you.

You are the customer and you should have the option to speak with whomever on the staff is present to try to achieve your goal.

I expect there are new and maybe some not so new cruisers reading these forums who are unaware of many of the positions that exist in the chain of command on cruise ships. Does everyone know there is someone called Culinary Operations Manager or Chief Housekeeper etc?

Edited by sail7seas

All I was doing in my post was suggesting alternatives. Should you pass a housekeeping supervisor on your deck, it is entirely appropriate to stop him/her and mention your issue. They are often seen checking cabins, walking the hallways and are often very accessible at the moment you want to speak with 'someone' who can help you.

You are the customer and you should have the option to speak with whomever on the staff is present to try to achieve your goal.

I expect there are new and maybe some not so new cruisers reading these forums who are unaware of many of the positions that exist in the chain of command on cruise ships. Does everyone know there is someone called Culinary Operations Manager or Chief Housekeeper etc?

Far too often it seems the "option" to seek further help getting a problem solved becomes a "necessity". Not every cruiser gets on a ship wanting to know the chain of command nor become acquainted with the staff, nor should they have to. That is very poor customer service.

Being in a PS or a Neptune Suite doesn't make any difference.

We have encountered a few things on a ship, talked to the concierges -- they could not resolve the problems. So we went down to the Guest Manager -- could not get past the front desk as they kept referring us to our concierges and we kept explaining that they couldn't do anything for us.

After a couple of days, on one ship we ran into the Hotel Director and one problem on one ship was solved.

But others -- letter to Seattle.

I'm not saying the issues will be magically resolved just because you are in a Neptune or PH suite. I'm pretty sure they would be resolved quicker than someone in an inside cabin.

A good rule is to always be very respectful and polite to the crew. But if we have a major problem such as with plumbing or no A/C we will first mention it to our steward who may, or may not be able to help. Otherwise, we go to Guest Relations and explain the issue (and also keep notes of our action). If it is not resolved within an appropriate period of time we will go back to Guest Relations...but at this 2nd visit we will politely ask them that if they cannot immediately resolve our problem then we would like an appointment with the Hotel Manager. Since Guest Relations is tasked with resolving most customer complaints, they prefer that issues do not get elevated (since that indicates failure on their part). On more then 3 years of cruising, we have only had to talk with a Hotel Manager on one occasion.

The rules are different when it comes to issues in the Dining Room...which should be taken to the appropriate Maitre'd and if that does not help..elevated to the Dining Room Manager. If you still cannot get a satisfactory resolution you can again try to get an appointment with the Hotel Manager.

Hank

heavens, and all of this on a supposedly 'premium' cruise line. that's a laugh, isn[t it? if this were a 'premium' line, most or not all of these complaints would not happen in the first place. and the pax are at the MERCY of the front desk, grm, hd, and on and on. the next step down is something like those cruises in which you bring your own food and make your own bed. right up there with ocean village. hal is just the joke of the cruising world; i knew from my last cruise last may from ft.laud to montreal. it was a torture, confined on a cattle boat, it horrid weather, and little to poor service. i felt like i spent 15 days in a prison. oh, heavens, deliver me.

Did I hear horrid weather ? What does that have to do w HAL ? Be reasonable please dr.d.

Good thing you won't have to deal with this prison since you will no longer sail with Hal. Good to see you never pass up the opportunity to complain about how terrible it is. No matter how bad a cruise has been it's always better than any day I have on land. Your life must truly be terrible.

I figured out that it is. He has cancer and is apparently angry at the world because if it. I have no sympathy for that of course considering I'm in the same boat and probably even in a worse place since I'm still very young and have only been given a few years. It's a shame this is how he chooses to deal with his remaining years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

And a Merry Christmas to you, Sir. :D

Did I hear horrid weather ? What does that have to do w HAL ? Be reasonable please dr.d.

We live here in the Maritimes and are always apologizing to tourists for our early spring weather so I guess I can offer one to the gentleman in question. Hopefully the government will be able to do something about the climate. It's inexcusable that they have not done so. :eek:

Good thing you won't have to deal with this prison since you will no longer sail with Hal. Good to see you never pass up the opportunity to complain about how terrible it is. No matter how bad a cruise has been it's always better than any day I have on land. Your life must truly be terrible.

I think I sailed on the Prisondam. No wait--it was the Prinsendam. How silly of me:D

I figured out that it is. He has cancer and is apparently angry at the world because if it. I have no sympathy for that of course considering I'm in the same boat and probably even in a worse place since I'm still very young and have only been given a few years. It's a shame this is how he chooses to deal with his remaining years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

He had mentioned he was having surgery and I was wondering how he was doing. Well, we all have our own way of coping, don't we, and far from me to judge how he is able to handle things. I have my own battle going on with BC, since Feb extensive surgery, 3 1/2 months of heavy duty chemo, a lighter chemo continues until April and radiation begins in Jan. I have been positive in attitude, but his prognosis may be far worse than mine, so I say let's give him some space. We all handle things differently. You and I have supportive spouses and family to get us over the rough spots. He may not, so I will sympathize with anyone going through hell which he may be for all we know.

He had mentioned he was having surgery and I was wondering how he was doing. Well, we all have our own way of coping, don't we, and far from me to judge how he is able to handle things. I have my own battle going on with BC, since Feb extensive surgery, 3 1/2 months of heavy duty chemo, a lighter chemo continues until April and radiation begins in Jan. I have been positive in attitude, but his prognosis may be far worse than mine, so I say let's give him some space. We all handle things differently. You and I have supportive spouses and family to get us over the rough spots. He may not, so I will sympathize with anyone going through hell which he may be for all we know.

I'm very sorry to read the battle you are fighting, Peaches, but certainly wish you the very best. With a good attitude, good medical care and the support of family and friends, you have great opportunity for healing.

I thank you for this kind post. You are sensitive to the struggles others may be experiencing and we don't know what other people on these forums are coping with.

This was a kind and caring post.

GET WELL !! We're all rooting for you.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this as well. But he is very unlikely in a worse spot than mine. I have been given only a few years statistically at only 43. I have a rare cancer (leiomyosarcoma) with no cure and no successful treatments available in stage 4. Surgery is not an option since the 22cm tumor has mingled with the vena cava and other bloodlines. Average survival rate over 3 years is 15%, I have every intention of being in that 15%. I have had the absolutely hardest chemo that anyone can get (6 day in patient AIM with a lifetime max set by the FDA of approximately 6 treatments) and radiation. I'm still unable to make hemoglobin 5 months later and have to get transfusions every few weeks to keep going and I've also suffered lung damage from the treatments. I was at such high risk of a blood clot to the lungs that they just inserted an IVC filter into me a week ago since I was unable to use blood thinners due to my red blood cell issues. I also have mobility issues now because it's cutting off the blood flow to my right leg so it goes numb and has little strength left in it. So I have little sympathy for someone that lashes out at others even if that is his excuse. I have plenty of reason to be angry and sad but I choose not to be. The doctors and nurses are still shocked/amazed that I am working a full time job through all of this. I am qualified instantly for SSDI should I wish to go on it since I am their "short list" of medical issues deemed life threatening enough to require no investigation and only proof. There is plenty of help out there if he really needs it.

Edited by sherilyn70

Thank you, Sail. I learned from the chemo nurses, who are truly angels, not to judge any behavior a cancer patient exhibits. We all handle things differently and cope in different ways. That goes for any serious illness actually. They stress so much during chemo to eat healthy yet I saw so many patients under treatment week after week shoveling in quarter pounders with cheese, fries and huge cokes while getting their chemo.. I said something to my nurse one time and she just smiled and said everyone copes in different ways and do the best they can do. That's all we ask of them, to do the best they can do, and we say nothing more. In the middle of chemo, as well as I was doing, I started smoking again. Make sense? Of course not, but it helped me relax and cope with the side effects. My oncologist and the chemo gals know, but say not a word about it.

I'm positive and have a huge support system of family and friends, so I consider myself blessed. For now my prognosis is good, I'm feeling great, and my entire family including 7 grandchildren are coming for Christmas, so I'm very thankful. Our fellow poster may not be as lucky and just needs to strike out where and when he can.

Edit: Sherilyn- I didn't see your post until I had posted. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I knew from your previous postings you were in a dire situation but did not know details. I so admire your strength, much better than I would handle what you are facing I know. I know I am getting through my illness relatively easy so far. My best to you.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Bar Manager

As I am not familiar with the exact titles of the hotel supervisors on HAL (NCL calls them differently), I was hoping someone would pop up with this. Thank you sail7seas. I would recommend that the cabin steward would be the first contact for an issue, then the front desk. If no resolution, feel free to contact ANY supervisor you see in the area of guest cabins. There is normally a deck supervisor for the stewards, and then the Chief Housekeeper. For dining room issues, the Maitre 'd would be first, then the Dining Room Manager, then the Culinary Manager. These people are frequently seen in the areas of their operations, but good customer service should require that ANY supervisor (I did cabin configuration complaints while a Staff Chief Engineer) should take your complaint and act on it. Crew are wearing name tags with titles, so you should be able to note these down for documentation of issues that require escalating complaints.

Thank you, Sail. I learned from the chemo nurses, who are truly angels, not to judge any behavior a cancer patient exhibits. We all handle things differently and cope in different ways. That goes for any serious illness actually. They stress so much during chemo to eat healthy yet I saw so many patients under treatment week after week shoveling in quarter pounders with cheese, fries and huge cokes while getting their chemo.. I said something to my nurse one time and she just smiled and said everyone copes in different ways and do the best they can do. That's all we ask of them, to do the best they can do, and we say nothing more. In the middle of chemo, as well as I was doing, I started smoking again. Make sense? Of course not, but it helped me relax and cope with the side effects. My oncologist and the chemo gals know, but say not a word about it.

I'm positive and have a huge support system of family and friends, so I consider myself blessed. For now my prognosis is good, I'm feeling great, and my entire family including 7 grandchildren are coming for Christmas, so I'm very thankful. Our fellow poster may not be as lucky and just needs to strike out where and when he can.

Of course, you are right, Peaches. We all can only do the best we can do.

You are also right not everyone has a large family or for that matter, any family at all. You truly are blessed to have them all coming to your home for Christmas. That will be very special. Enjoy it to the max.

I'm very happy to hear you have a good prognosis. As to the smoking, if and when you are ready to quit again, you will. If not, it is your choice. No one needs judge.

All best wishes.......

As I am not familiar with the exact titles of the hotel supervisors on HAL (NCL calls them differently), I was hoping someone would pop up with this. Thank you sail7seas. I would recommend that the cabin steward would be the first contact for an issue, then the front desk. If no resolution, feel free to contact ANY supervisor you see in the area of guest cabins. There is normally a deck supervisor for the stewards, and then the Chief Housekeeper. For dining room issues, the Maitre 'd would be first, then the Dining Room Manager, then the Culinary Manager. These people are frequently seen in the areas of their operations, but good customer service should require that ANY supervisor (I did cabin configuration complaints while a Staff Chief Engineer) should take your complaint and act on it. Crew are wearing name tags with titles, so you should be able to note these down for documentation of issues that require escalating complaints.

Happy my post was helpful.

For the sake of avoiding confusion........

HAL used to have Maitre d' who headed the Dining Room but that title is now Dining Room Manager. It is the same position with the same responsibilities but new title.

HAL had Hotel Managers until about a year and a half ago, or so, but they are now called Hotel Directors. :rolleyes: Same position.

Same for Chief Officer in Navigation. HAL always had Chief Officer but that position is now Staff Captain on HAL ships.

The usual route I would go with a clean/dirty cabin complaint would be:

Steward

Concierge or Front Office

Guest Relations Manager

Chief Housekeeper

Hotel Director

I have never had the need to go past the Steward.

For Main Dining Room, my pecking order would be:

Steward

Section Supervisor (they are the gentlemen in jackets and ties)

Dining Room Manager

Guest Relations Manager

Hotel Director

Very good comment to mention any issue can be raised with any Supervisor/Officer. They all wear a uniform, a name badge and work for the same company on the ship that presumably wishes to provide the best possible cruise for all guests.

If all that failed, there is always the Seattle Headquarters Office. :cool:

Edited by sail7seas

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this as well. But he is very unlikely in a worse spot than mine. I have been given only a few years statistically at only 43. I have a rare cancer (leiomyosarcoma) with no cure and no successful treatments available in stage 4. Surgery is not an option since the 22cm tumor has mingled with the vena cava and other bloodlines. Average survival rate over 3 years is 15%, I have every intention of being in that 15%. I have had the absolutely hardest chemo that anyone can get (6 day in patient AIM with a lifetime max set by the FDA of approximately 6 treatments) and radiation. I'm still unable to make hemoglobin 5 months later and have to get transfusions every few weeks to keep going and I've also suffered lung damage from the treatments. I was at such high risk of a blood clot to the lungs that they just inserted an IVC filter into me a week ago since I was unable to use blood thinners due to my red blood cell issues. I also have mobility issues now because it's cutting off the blood flow to my right leg so it goes numb and has little strength left in it. So I have little sympathy for someone that lashes out at others even if that is his excuse. I have plenty of reason to be angry and sad but I choose not to be. The doctors and nurses are still shocked/amazed that I am working a full time job through all of this. I am qualified instantly for SSDI should I wish to go on it since I am their "short list" of medical issues deemed life threatening enough to require no investigation and only proof. There is plenty of help out there if he really needs it.

Sherilyn,

Lest you think us totally insensitive, which is not the case,

this is a hard post to read. No one wants to hear such news about anyone but with your excellent attitude, you are fighting a strong battle with all you have. Attitude goes a hugely long way in healing. If you believe you will recover, your chances are so much better.

We wish you everything wonderful and that you are the one who beats the odds.

Keep on fighting!!!

Edited by sail7seas

Sherilynn - at the risk of being flamed.... I am really, really sorry for you. I know what it is to have a family member deal with a terminal illness, and I have raised a son through much pain, hardship and many times he has been given up. And he continues to work full time while waiting for a heart transplant that likely will never come because of matching problems. But, everything is relative, and because we have our problems does not mean that others cannot complain about their issues.

I wish you well, I really do - but we have to have empathy for everyone. This is a board where people should be allowed to air their concerns - you as well, and you will have much support here. But we must spread our support around, as well. Many of us are dealing with some very difficult life issues, and this is sometimes a distraction. And I do understand your anger - I spend many hours a week at a Hospice.

Edit: Sherilyn- I didn't see your post until I had posted. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I knew from your previous postings you were in a dire situation but did not know details. I so admire your strength, much better than I would handle what you are facing I know. I know I am getting through my illness relatively easy so far. My best to you.

With all due respect aren't you judging people in your first paragraph? Didn't you say earlier that people shouldn't do that?