Early Walk Off Program Explorer of the Sea 12/12/13 sailing

ctbrianp

They need a better system. Supposedly we had the 1st walk off time at 830, ©. We reported to our elevator to go down to deck 3 but waited 15 minutes to get an elevator. This was at 8:00. My wife got impatient waiting and pulled her luggage down the stairs. Deck 10 to 3. Boom Boom Boom all the way down. My bag was a little heavier so I waited. When we finally got down there we noticed that people with even later times to get off we're in line already! ***. Can't anyone follow the rules. Elevators jammed everywhere. Mass Kaos. Follow the freaken rules people! They need to restrict this activity better. Just Sayin!

Sorry it was such a nightmare for you. I have to say my 3 sailings on Allure have been plagued by issues with the people who request something specific and then do what the hell they want - incredibly frustrating.

I hope this issue at the end didn't spoil your overall cruise experience and that you had a brilliant time.

Jo :)

We have done the early walk-off on the Explorer several times. The last few times (latest was October) they had us wait at the Maharaja lounge, then when it was time to get off they had two elevators designated just for us, with a crewmember manning it so it went directly to the disembarkation deck. It was crowded but not mass chaos. I wonder if they changed their process?

They need a better system. Supposedly we had the 1st walk off time at 830, ©. We reported to our elevator to go down to deck 3 but waited 15 minutes to get an elevator. This was at 8:00. My wife got impatient waiting and pulled her luggage down the stairs. Deck 10 to 3. Boom Boom Boom all the way down. My bag was a little heavier so I waited. When we finally got down there we noticed that people with even later times to get off we're in line already! ***. Can't anyone follow the rules. Elevators jammed everywhere. Mass Kaos. Follow the freaken rules people! They need to restrict this activity better. Just Sayin!
I think the rules say you have to be able to carry your luggage. IMO banging it down the stairs is not carrying it.

You were on a ship for a number of days, and then were surprised that elevators are hard to come by:confused:

The problem is not just self-disembarking, but the whole disembarkation process. I have seen many people coming out of WJ that are ready to go down to the lower decks. Problem is, people on the lower floors who want to leave press the up button so they get on before it gets full, but knowing they will eventually go down. When the elevator gets to the higher floors, it is full and nobody else can get on. It is even worse for people in wheelchairs, since they do not have the option of using the stairs.

I suspect the solution is to disable the up call button and a bank of elevators. I have seen signs on one side of elevators saying they were for disembarking,, but we know what good signs are.

I think the rules say you have to be able to carry your luggage. IMO banging it down the stairs is not carrying it.

You were on a ship for a number of days, and then were surprised that elevators are hard to come by:confused:

Nawww, you just have to be able to transport your luggage off the ship without any assistance from the crew. You don't have to be able to physically carry it, unless that's the normal way to transport it.

Most large bags these days come with wheels.

If one wants to do a self-embarkation, they have to be prepared to CARRY their luggage down the stairs. A LOT of people are trying to get the elevators at the same time. It does not take many people to fill the elevator when they are dragging luggage along.

If you want to be sure of getting an elevator to haul your luggage, you have to leave a lot earlier to beat the crowd.

I agree our last walk off a nightmare we got to elevators totally overloaded and as I got on my husband wound up walking down 5 floors with luggage

On my elevator a fight almost started when a man jammed himself and his bag inw/ NO regards to the rest of us....

Then when I got to lower floor found out that my # had been called already (I arrived 15 min) prior to time of disembarment time....

After that off in minutes!

On other ships we lined up on outside deck was SO orderly....and just walked off

W/ luggage.

Maybe with new terminal things will change!!!!!!!!

I agree our last walk off a nightmare we got to elevators totally overloaded and as I got on my husband wound up walking down 5 floors with luggage

On my elevator a fight almost started when a man jammed himself and his bag inw/ NO regards to the rest of us....

Then when I got to lower floor found out that my # had been called already (I arrived 15 min) prior to time of disembarment time....

After that off in minutes!

On other ships we lined up on outside deck was SO orderly....and just walked off

W/ luggage.

Maybe with new terminal things will change!!!!!!!!

Yes, everyone trying to get an elevator with their luggage is the problem. After you get down to the deck to wait to get off, it goes very smoothly (usually...).

Is not the concept. The problem is the massive number of people who think they deserve to be off first. Rules? Follow Rules? Those that have been on CC, even for a short time, have come to learn the rules apply only to other people, never to many!!!!

I would offer it it is to continue....Every one must report to one location, get a number and the leave that location only when their self-disembark number is called....Show up early, get a low number....slow up late, you wait. Those crowding the hallways and elevators, send them back to get a number...no exceptions.

We will never self-disembark. Why should I drag the luggage, at the end of the cruise? Just enjoyed a week or so on a ship and suddenly I become a Tibetan shurpa? Nope!

The mad dash to get off seems illogical, but, then again, my wife often times is confused by what I call logic!

By the way, next time you are in line to disembark, think how many piece of luggage the crew did not have to stack and pack the night before....they love self-disembark.

Self-disembark does have advantages.

-There is little line at Customs.

-Do not have to search for your luggage.

-No crowd waiting for the shuttle buses.

-Need to get to an early flight.

Probably a few other valid reasons as well....

We were on the cruise prior to you, and did the same thing. It was a little disorganized, but, it worked. My one gripe is you are supposed to be able to handle your own luggage. There were plenty of people in the early walk off who were not able to do so, and they do hold up progress.

Well next time we will drop to level 3 at 7 am! Disregard the 830 time slot. The times mean nothing. They were not even checking the pieces of paper. Waste of ink!

We were able to handle the luggage at ground level and even the shuttle bus.

I am surprised the carpets on the stair nosings remain because not only was my wife was boom boom booming down the stairs but many people were!

What they should just do it many 3 elevators with staff for downward travel only.

I agree, this debarkation was utter chaos. I have cruised out of Cape Liberty about 10 times and it was never like this before. We had luggage tag #3 and when they finally let us go and we made it to the terminal, there were people with tag #'s in the 20-40's already in the customs line. How did they get off before me? Not that I am special, but rules should be followed and they have to find a better way to make that happen. I sure hope when they build the new terminal, things will be a lot better. They need to take lessons from the Baltimore cruise port. That one is so easy-peasy and well organized.

I already wrote to Royal with my complaint. Can't wait to see if they answer me and what they say. That is if they do anything at all. :rolleyes:

Have a nice holiday season.

Gwen :)

Guest maddycat
I can't remember a pleasant debarkation!

I can. May 2013, Explorer. Our number was called 10 minutes early. There were only about 30 passengers called at a time. Crew members operated the waiting elevators. We were not allowed off of the ship until a bus was waiting to take us to the terminal. It was absolutely painless.

Nov. 2013, Explorer, it was a disaster. Our number was called 1 hr. 40 minutes late. No elevators were waiting to take the passengers down. We ended walking down to deck 1. No buses were waiting to take us to the terminal. We waited outside in the cold and wind for a bus. Once in the terminal everything went smoothly.

The crew on the Explorer blamed the delays on the sequester. However, all of the custom stations were manned and the lines were moving quickly. I think that the problem was caused by RCI. There weren't enough buses to take the passengers from the ship to the terminal.

Disembarked from the Explorer on November 23. Used self-disembark. I could handle my two pieces of luggage. It was the worst and most unsupervised departure process I have ever encountered. These were the reasons I saw why.

1. There was no monitoring of numbers for departure. Though they had waiting areas, anyone could grab an elevator or go down steps when they wished.

2. No one was checked at the departure gangway for being in the correct group. It wouldn't be possible anyway (explained later).

3. There was a group of approximately 20 that came down when they wished - and they did not have all their carry-off luggage. Much was left back in the dining room assembly area. They fully expected staff to help them get it to the bus and berated them for not doing so. Then they expected to be able to go back upstairs and bring down the remaining luggage,

4. But far and away the most major reason is having to depart from the level one gangway and be shuttled by those buses. People come down the staircases and elevators to arrive at areas already packed with people. The line off alternates between the two banks of elevators and the backup increases. Rather than just walking away with luggage as is the norm, people have to load the bus with their luggage, further slowing things down and causing more back-up. Even if numbers were monitored at the gangway, there is no way or where to send someone back!

Yes, there are people leaving before they should, but if they are repeat Explorer cruisers, they know they will not be monitored. It is a very flawed process.

When departing occurs from a deck four gangway (Baltimore for comparison), there is more of an open area to assemble. The close quarter/Deck One gridlock does not occur.