Steiner gets the boot!

InTheWASide

I wish I could remember the spa name at the Hyatt Regency Kauai (Lotus Spa?), now that was heaven, even in the bottles I brought home and re-ordered by 800# printed on the products.

It wasn't Canyon Ranch like the Venetian, LVgs, or at Gaylords in Orlando, CR has high prices, cafes, well, an environment that goes with the name.

At Steiner, I'd resist the hard-sell and go for the 20-20-20 packages.

They'll probably make a comeback like the art auctions as they have a cruise ship network.

-Marisa

The heavenly spa at Hyatt Regency Kauai is ANARA SPA.

I'll just hope for the possibility that the tranquility and scents that come from Anara Spa could be on a Celebrity ship.

-Marisa

We have had many very good experiences at the Aquaspa so I hope someone really good goes in there and not just a "cheaper" company. In talking to some of the women last week many said their contracts on the Reflection ended in May or June of next year.

I would like to see some deeper integration between the Aquaspa and AquaClass such as better spa quality toiletries in the rooms.

I'm surprised they say it's only worth 24c/share of earnings. It's not like they were earning a lot of money out of it. Too many discounts?

The contract was worth about $3.52m to Steiner in profits or about 6% of their annual earnings. the question will be going forward can Steiner keep their current contracts with RCL and NCL. NCL is set to expire end of 2014 and RCL 2017. i would assume neither of those lines would sign with Canyon Ranch.

The article says the contract won't be renewed after the end of 2013. That's next week. Does anyone know how long the current contract is good through? It can't just end next week, can it, unless something else is already lined up? I'm just wondering if how/if this impacts January's cruises.

Excellent question! Hope somebody can come back with answers for us -- preferably before our Century b2b. Having long ago been turned off by Steiner's tactics, I now totally avoid the Spa. The only exception is our free port-day Elite pass to the Persian Gardens. And, if you think those ladies are rude and snarky when you're purchasing something -- just wait until you ask for something (like a key to the PG) that's FREE! :eek::rolleyes:

Excellent question! Hope somebody can come back with answers for us -- preferably before our Century b2b. Having long ago been turned off by Steiner's tactics, I now totally avoid the Spa. The only exception is our free port-day Elite pass to the Persian Gardens. And, if you think those ladies are rude and snarky when you're purchasing something -- just wait until you ask for something (like a key to the PG) that's FREE! :eek::rolleyes:

so this is what the release says from Steiner.

1) contract ends Dec 31, 2013.

2) steiner is negotiating a transition plan as to the turnover of the ships to the new vendor (which i can confirm is Canyon Ranch).

It sounds like steiner will still be running the spas at least through early new year. I am not sure how long it will take canyon ranch to roll out their spa. It might be a ship by ship basis?

Have you seen an announcement on this? Can you provide a source? I would love to read a more formal announcement!

Unfortunately there has not been a formal announcement on this news. I found this in a research report from an Analyst that follows Steiner. I assume he either got this info from Steiner or RCL directly.

Unfortunately there has not been a formal announcement on this news. I found this in a research report from an Analyst that follows Steiner. I assume he either got this info from Steiner or RCL directly.

Understood. That makes sense.

From what I understand this would be a HUGE improvement (have never experienced Steiner on Celebrity but I have on HAL and a couple other lines).

Look forward to experiencing it in May for my Alaska cruise.

Understood. That makes sense.

From what I understand this would be a HUGE improvement (have never experienced Steiner on Celebrity but I have on HAL and a couple other lines).

Look forward to experiencing it in May for my Alaska cruise.

I agree with you. Celebrity needed to differentiate itself better..this is the way to go. I was never impressed with the spa myself.

I'm sailing in January - had not planned to get spa services based on all the bad Steiner reports. Too bad they won't get someone new in quickly. I'm guessing the Steiner employees still on ship in January will be even less motivated to provide good service than they were before. I'll definitely be avoiding the spa now, but looking forward to Canyon Ranch on my next cruise. :) Thanks for the report.

I'm hoping May is enough time... at least for Solstice... I would love to experience the difference. Although I'll be unfamiliar with Steiner ON CELEBRITY for a proper comparison, in all honestly there's little difference from brand to brand at the spas when Steiner is involved

As we're going early season Alaska a spa retreat may be a good way to go. We were planning on a spa pass for the 8 days since it's a lot more cost effective way to go vs an aqua class room (although I would LOVE to try Blu from what I've heard, but I suppose that would be a different thread)

Edited by InTheWASide

Celebrity could use the Steiner space for single cabins, fitness cabins, aqua class, penthouse, or a specialty restaurant to generate more profit.

Personally, I'd like to see the Persian Garden extended into some of the space and another lounge with an open view and bar for all to use.

jls

Oh poo! Was hoping to have the new spa for our cruise on 1/5/14. But booked on a Transatlantic next October so will enjoy the new spa/salon then. Did not like Steiners hard sell either. I've had a pedicure and a manicure with them and they were very rough on me.

I so agree! When I've paid for a massage, they are as sweet as can be, but when you use your coupon for Persian Gardens, snarky is what you get.

I'm not all that enamored with Persian Gardens. I hate wearing a bathing suit in a steam room. At least the non-gigantic Royal ships have free steam and sauna in every locker room. Azamara, I'm told, has them, too. I'll report on that in March. :)

Someone else asked this "is Steiner in charge of the hair salon?" I'm also wondering, most cruises I do not get spa or hair services but my next cruise - I was planning on having my hair done at least twice and a surprise couples massage for our anniversary. We sail on Feb. 8th :confused: I'm hoping the transition goes smoothly for everyone's sake.

Might be good for Celebrity. Last August, I was on the Summit and the hair salon had one hairdresser! I was told that at the last minute a couple of scheduled hair dressers cancelled. No back-up? A missed revenue opportunity for celebrity. I also find that the "kids" working in the spa just push products and really seem disinterested in providing the services. I have also heard them make claims that the products that they sell make you healthy! Traveling with physician's who cringe at the claims that these kids make! Many people out their believe the claims that are made by these "kids." Harmful perhaps and not helpful.

Hate to grumble on Christmas Day, but a teensy bit disappointed that Celebrity didn't have their press release about the change, new spa managers, transition times, etc. ready Monday. Such a material change in revenue for a publically traded company had to be announced; the date would not have been a surprise to either party, nor that rumors would fly about the new contract until X's press release is out. Reminds one of flashing up new Captains Club points on the website before any announcement to its members or press was made. Happy that it is Canyon Ranch, definitely a step up, but did I have to hear about it from notes in an analyst report rumored from a poster on a message board? Sure it will be fine but wishing for a new year of better communication.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

Hate to grumble on Christmas Day, but a teensy bit disappointed that Celebrity didn't have their press release about the change, new spa managers, transition times, etc. ready Monday. Such a material change in revenue for a publically traded company had to be announced; the date would not have been a surprise to either party, nor that rumors would fly about the new contract until X's press release is out. Reminds one of flashing up new Captains Club points on the website before any announcement to its members or press was made. Happy that it is Canyon Ranch, definitely a step up, but did I have to hear about it from notes in an analyst report rumored from a poster on a message board? Sure it will be fine but wishing for a new year of better communication.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

good morning,

I know some people are disappointed Celebrity hasnt announced anything yet. but, this news (contract change) is NOT material to RCL corp, who owns Celebrity. But the contract IS MATERIAL to Steiner, hence their press release. Since the contract was due to end year end, Steiner had to put the release out quickly.

It sounds like to me Celebrity is still working out the final transition details with Steiner and Canyon Ranch. once that is done, they will most likely issue a press release with more details, as this news is a marketing positive for Celebrity, not necessarily material to RCL corp's earnings. hope this helps.