Problems with smoking?

cruiserchuck

We are thinking about taking an upcoming cruise on Seabourn. We sailed once before with Seabourn in 2001, and enjoyed it very much. However, in reading several recent reviews and comments on the boards, we noticed references to smoking issues. My wife has allergies, and has problems around smoke. I do not have that issue, but get very annoyed around smokers. We live in California, where smoking is banned in virtually all indoor (and many outdoor) locations, so we are no longer used to being around smokers. Since Seabourn appears to have one of the most lenient smoking policies, we are concerned that there will be a large number of smokers onboard.

I would appreciate comments about any smoking issues recent cruisers have experienced.

Conchyjoe - With all due respect (which, of course, means without much respect), your response was not really useful. It is not always easy to use the Search function on CC; and certain subjects will repeat (i.e. smoking, dress code, rug rats, wine, etc.) on these boards. If you consider the subject to have been discussed to the point of your becoming ill, you may easily skip reading the threads, no?? In my case, as a first time SB cruiser, moving from Regent and Silversea, the matter of smoking onboard is of great interest to me, as it is to the OP. Perhaps you will be so kind as to allow other, more gentle, posters to respond to the OP's query without subjecting the OP to an intemperate slam for having the audacity to make the inquiry. Cheers, Fred

freddie,

I too dislike being around cigarette and cigar smoke so fully empathize with you.

On our Oct-Nov crossing on Quest the only time I encountered smoking to the extent it disrupted my choice of place to sit was in the Observation Bar pre-dinner. Fortunately there were few of those people puffing away.

As you may know come February Seabourn will ban smoking there before 20:00 so that problem will be resolved. (By the way, the Brazilian authorities took it upon themselves to ban it there all the time while we were in their 3 ports too.)

So as of February there will be no smoking in this indoor space before 20:00. I have to think it's only a matter of time before it is banned there all the time- maybe in 2015? Smoking will be banned in cabins too. It will be permitted on balconies and at the outdoor rear deck behind the Seabourn Square. So I hope regarding your balcony you don't have nearby smokers who despoil your clean sea air!

Happy cruising!

Hi,

We were also on the Quest TA and as Markham says, the Observation Lounge rules change in Feb. On deck, smokers seemed to congregate on deck 9 starboard of the Sky Bar & this area is easily avoided. On a couple of previous SB cruises we have had smokers on adjacent balconies but it hasn't been an issue.

We've only cruised on the 'big sisters' so perhaps someone else can comment on the 'little sisters'.

I'm sure all the positive things about Seabourn will ensure you have a wonderful time!

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

The new smoking policy is coming into force in stages, so some ships will be enforcing it sooner than others.
For example, we're travelling on Sojourn in March but the new policy won't be enforced until May 1 2014 on Sojourn. Most of the other ships are changing in early February, the Quest will be March.

My experience is that it's the luck of the draw how bothered you're going to be by smoke.

On a cruise on Quest a year ago, we weren't able to use our balcony at all because of a chain smoker who was constantly on their balcony on the deck below and lighting up every 10 minutes.

On Sojourn last summer, I didn't notice anyone smoking on their balcony, so it was always pleasant to sit out on ours for breakfast. Eating outdoors at the Colonnade was problematic though if we had to sit on the starboard side where the smokers congregate on the decks below, ie Seabourn Square and The Club.

Thanks for the responses. The cruise we are looking at is a segment of the world cruise on the Sojourn, so the new policy will not be in place yet. We are most concerned about the room itself having a smoke odor, and also about not being able to enjoy sitting on the balcony. Based on the responses, and other information we read, we are leaning towards going with Oceania, which has a cruise with a similar itinerary. But for the smoking issue, I would prefer to sail with Seabourn. I hope they realize they are losing customers with their antiquated smoking policy.

We have thoroughly enjoyed cruising on Seabourn and find the service to be absolutely beyond compare. Being from Colorado where smoking is considered to be extremely foul and totally banned from all public spaces, we have little tolerance for the odor second hand smoke. To be honest, we have encountered significant problems with smokers in the Observation Lounge but are hoping that the new policy will go a long way toward eliminating the issue, at least for pre-dinner cocktails.

We have never experienced any odor of smoke in our cabin. The new ban could, unfortunately push more people to balconies which would be a problem if you had a neighbor who chooses to smoke. While we hope that a total ban will come about in the future, Seabourn is so exceptional that we will continue to sail with them and, in fact, have 21 days booked on the Odyssey for next summer.

Our experience over the entire Seabourn fleet is that we have never had a problem with odor in the suites. Observation Lounge can be an issue and smoking on balconies in port is really only an issue if you luck out with your neighbours.

Our only bad experience was on the smaller ships in warm weather where the smokers essentially took over the bar area on the pool deck. Being the only shaded outdoor area was very limiting. But really should have been something addressed by the staff as they shouldn't let smokers sit at the bar.

On balance, you are unlikely to have an issue, but it can happen and the sooner they ban smoking on board altogether the better!

If you have a neighbor smoking on balcony / veranda, pass them a nice note. Never been a problem. We were adjacent to a cigar smoker and passed a note, which was met with a very apologetic response and never a problem again. SB cruisers are - despite the first responder to your post -very kind.

[quote name='cruiserchuck']We are thinking about taking an upcoming cruise on Seabourn. We sailed once before with Seabourn in 2001, and enjoyed it very much. However, in reading several recent reviews and comments on the boards, we noticed references to smoking issues. My wife has allergies, and has problems around smoke. I do not have that issue, but get very annoyed around smokers. We live in California, where smoking is banned in virtually all indoor (and many outdoor) locations, so we are no longer used to being around smokers. Since Seabourn appears to have one of the most lenient smoking policies, we are concerned that there will be a large number of smokers onboard.

I would appreciate comments about any smoking issues recent cruisers have experienced.[/quote]

If you are heading to any part of Europe, you will have lots of problems since smoking is the norm. In fact travel just about anywhere outside the US will expose you to smoke in restaurants. Despite the complaints about smoking on Seabourn, that will be the least of your problems.

Adventurans - It appears that you have not adventured in Europe a great deal in the last few years, as most European countries have banned smoking in indoor work places and restaurants during the period from 2004 (Ireland) until 2011 (Spain). It seems quite odd (and delightful) to experience smoke-free dining in France, Italy, and Spain, where one formerly had the dubious pleasure of serious second-hand smoking in every bistro, trattoria, and tapas joint.

Adverturans,
Maybe you are referring to people in Europe smoking outside in parks? Sadly, and from what I have noticed, it's young people who tragically don't get the message about the cancer risks!
There is now no smoking indoors in public spaces in Europe. Even Russia, yes RUSSIA, outlawed it last June. Seabourn is really only catching up when they decided to ban smoking in cabins effective Feb or March 2014. And I hope it's only a matter of a few short months until they announce a complete ban at the indoor Observation Bar.

Heres a [URL="http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-planning/Planning-And-Advice.action?tabName=Frequently+Asked+Questions&contentMenu=Onboard+Life&contentSubMenu=Is+Smoking+Allowed?"]link[/URL] to the current and future policy

Interestingly it is silent on the question of electronic cigarettes and how the policy applies to them - the cruise lines are going to need to make a call on how they are treated as some smokers move to them. Personally I've found some of the mixes used in electronic cigarettes can produce quite a pungent odour

[quote name='freddie']Adventurans - It appears that you have not adventured in Europe a great deal in the last few years, as most European countries have banned smoking in indoor work places and restaurants during the period from 2004 (Ireland) until 2011 (Spain). It seems quite odd (and delightful) to experience smoke-free dining in France, Italy, and Spain, where one formerly had the dubious pleasure of serious second-hand smoking in every bistro, trattoria, and tapas joint.[/quote]

Visited twice this year, but alas, we do not visit indoor work places, and there were smokers in our vicinity, but took pains to avoid.

[quote name='Bodogbodog']Heres a [URL="http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-planning/Planning-And-Advice.action?tabName=Frequently+Asked+Questions&contentMenu=Onboard+Life&contentSubMenu=Is+Smoking+Allowed?"]link[/URL] to the current and future policy

Interestingly it is silent on the question of electronic cigarettes and how the policy applies to them - the cruise lines are going to need to make a call on how they are treated as some smokers move to them. Personally I've found some of the mixes used in electronic cigarettes can produce quite a pungent odour[/QUOTE]

So far only NYC has banned them. However after a few work and airport experiences with them I'd be more than happy to see the e-cigs go the way of the normals. I'm still not interested in smelling whatever you're inhaling. Nor do I trust any substance contained in plastic heated to the gaseous stage.

[quote name='Adventurans']Visited twice this year, but alas, we do not visit indoor work places, and there were smokers in our vicinity, but took pains to avoid.[/QUOTE]

Can't think where you must have visited. Many European countries now ban smoking in indoor areas including restaurants and bars. Unless you spent your time eating and drinking outside ( where smokers can indulge their habit) it seems highly unlikely that you would have been affected.

With respect, your statement that smoking is the "norm" in Europe is a canard.

For example, if you have /had the pleasure of visiting the UK you will find/ have found that smoking prevalence is circa 20%, approximately the same as in the US. It is falling in men and rising somewhat in women.

Perhaps for the benefit of others you would be kind enough to name the European countries that you have visited where you believe that smoking is the "norm".

I have noticed more smokers in Spain, Italy and Greece than other European countries, but think it will only be out of doors. It is a bit of a shame when you are sitting in an outside cafe or bar on a lovely day, as this is where they will now congregate, but otherwise no worse than anywhere else.

[quote name='lincslady']I have noticed more smokers in Spain, Italy and Greece than other European countries, but think it will only be out of doors. It is a bit of a shame when you are sitting in an outside cafe or bar on a lovely day, as this is where they will now congregate, but otherwise no worse than anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Yes, how ironic that the "problem" has now been transferred to outdoor eating/ drinking areas. The solution is simple but perhaps a step too far for the moment.

En passant, on our recent Silversea cruise we found the smoking policy to be one of the good things about the Cruiseline. They have implemented what seems a sensible balance between the desire of a few guests to smoke and wishes of the majority of guests not to be exposed to second-hand smoke. Smoking anywhere indoors is proscribed and smoking is only allowed outside in a few designated areas. It seems to work.

Although Seabourn are implementing a new smoking policy this year and it is a welcome small step forward,it still falls short of what the majority of guests would desire ( IMHO). The reluctance of Seabourn to do the right thing is puzzling - no doubt I am missing something.

Certainly Silversea have a more enlightened policy than Seabourn vis a vis this contentious issue. It remains to be seen if this translates into a market advantage. If so, Seabourn will no doubt follow suit.

[I]Having been admonished by posters, I feel to compelled to clarify, and as my partner reminded me, the smoke was outdoors - and since we travelled in the spring and fall, we were most often at outdoor venues. And with windows often open, the smoking from outdoors often flowed to interior spaces. Coming from Florida where there are few smokers at all, I am sensitive to the acrid odor of smokers, even when they are not smoking.[/I]

[quote name='freddie']Adventurans - It appears that you have not adventured in Europe a great deal in the last few years, as most European countries have banned smoking in indoor work places and restaurants during the period from 2004 (Ireland) until 2011 (Spain). It seems quite odd (and delightful) to experience smoke-free dining in France, Italy, and Spain, where one formerly had the dubious pleasure of serious second-hand smoking in every bistro, trattoria, and tapas joint.[/quote]

They may have banned smoking indoors, but not outdoors and so many Europeans smoke, especially the Eastern Europeans who are prevalent throughout western Europe. I agree with Adventurans that there's just a lot of smoke in Europe.

[quote name='whirldcruzrs']They may have banned smoking indoors, but not outdoors and so many Europeans smoke, especially the Eastern Europeans who are prevalent throughout western Europe. I agree with Adventurans that there's just a lot of smoke in Europe.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious where you grew up that you never had to experience ANY smoking either indoors or out.

Over the last decade I've been to Europe several times. While outdoor smoking can be a problem - indoor is about as bad as California which is to say: NONE. Even last year in some of the former Soviet Satellites smoking wasn't an issue.

Now that Brit woman on the Pride that smoked during bunkering OTOH... Edited by baychilla

[quote name='whirldcruzrs']They may have banned smoking indoors, but not outdoors and so many Europeans smoke, especially the Eastern Europeans who are prevalent throughout western Europe. I agree with Adventurans that there's just a lot of smoke in Europe.[/QUOTE]

Statements like this tend to shed more heat than light and have no basis in fact.

The majority of "Europeans" do not smoke. Even in most Eastern European countries where the incidence of smoking is relatively high, they are not in the majority.

Eastern Europeans are not prevalent( ie Dictionary definition - widespread, prevailing, frequent, ubiquitous,pervasive,universal,extensive etc) in Western Europe. They are a minority group.

Just to say, that I am not an apologist for smokers. In fact I abhor the filthy habit. But please let us have our facts right if we are to have a meaningful discussion.

And Seabourn, please follow the lead of others and put in place a smoking policy that recognises that smokers are a minority group whos habit should not be allowed to impact on non smoking guests. Edited by MARIANH

[quote name='baychilla']I'm curious where you grew up that you never had to experience ANY smoking either indoors or out.

Over the last decade I've been to Europe several times. While outdoor smoking can be a problem - indoor is about as bad as California which is to say: NONE. Even last year in some of the former Soviet Satellites smoking wasn't an issue.

Now that Brit woman on the Pride that smoked during bunkering OTOH...[/quote]

Where did you (mis)read that I "never had to experience ANY smoking either indoors or out"? You may want to re-read what I wrote. BTW, Florida. And you?