Flight time departing seattle

tromvest

We are booked on the Celebrity Solstice for May 2014. The ship departs and returns from Pier 91 in Seattle. The ship is scheduled to dock on the return at 7:00 am. If we carry off our own luggage would we be able to make a flight out of SEA at 10:50 am? Would appreciate responses from anyone who has booked a return flight around this time.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

We are booked on the Celebrity Solstice for May 2014. The ship departs and returns from Pier 91 in Seattle. The ship is scheduled to dock on the return at 7:00 am. If we carry off our own luggage would we be able to make a flight out of SEA at 10:50 am? Would appreciate responses from anyone who has booked a return flight around this time.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I would go by what the cruise line recommends for earliest flights out of Seatac. 7 AM arrival would mean a 7:45 disembarkation at the earliest.

Add about an hour to SeaTac ( depending on day of arrival). SeaTac has the worst security system that I've ever experienced .

tromvest - personally, I think that is a bit too early, I certainly wouldn't chance it. The past four times we've flown out of Seattle after a cruise, I've scheduled after noon (or at 11:30AM earliest) to fly out of SEATAC. In a perfect world, with no incidences with the ship clearing to allow disembarkation, no traffic issues from Pier 91 to SEATAC, and then no security line issues, it would be great. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Don't allow yourself to be stressed out after an amazing visit to the Great Land, do yourself a favor and schedule a later flight, or ideally, spend the night in Seattle and get an early flight the next morning. We always do that, and it is such a perfect, relaxing end to our vacation.

Good luck in your mission, and do enjoy your cruise - trust me, you'll be back;)!

There's no guarantee what time your ship will dock or when you will be able to disembark. Here are the details; you can decide for yourself if it's within your comfort level:

The pier is about a 30 minute drive to the airport but give it 1 hr for road construction, city events, games, accidents, etc. You should be at the airport 2 hrs prior to your flight, so at least 8:50am.

If all goes perfectly, yes, you should make it. What would it cost you if you miss the flight tho?

one more thing .... at Seatac you can stand in any TSA line, not just the one associated with your gate or airline. So if one line is really long, go to another. Which airline are you using? Some of the gates are a distance away and require a tram ride so be sure to give yourself the full 2 hrs. Good luck!

It looks like the Solstice is sailing on Fridays out of Seattle, so your trip to the airport would be during a weekday rush hour. In May there will be construction along the central waterfront, so my guess (just a guess) is that cabs or towncars will route from T91 to the airport using I-5 rather than SR 99. On a Friday morning this will mean encountering significant traffic between T91 and the freeway, plus rush hour conditions once you're on the freeway. You'd be able to use the HOV lanes once you're on the freeway south of downtown, but you'll be going against the flow so it won't matter much.

At the airport things can be very congested on cruise days, but Fridays are usually not nearly as busy as Saturdays or Sundays. The security lines can be long and could be a concern unless you have elite frequent flyer status or are flying in business or first class, in which case the fast-track lines are much quicker (or unless you've got PreCheck clearance.)

I'd mainly be nervous about how fast you can get off the boat, clear entry formalities, and get on the road. Personally I'd think 10:50 ought to be okay, but as stated it has a lot to do with your risk tolerance. There are a number of flights daily from SEA to DFW or DAL, so a later plane might not be a bad idea.

The light rail goes nowhere near T91 - you need to look at cabs or towncar services.

Edited to add - of course if it's the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, things will probably be different at the airport.

Edited by Gardyloo

J

Just because the ship docks at 7 does not mean you get off at 7 05. The ship has to be cleared by customs. You will not be the only one getting off the ship early. You will find a long line and with cut backs you may have along wait. Seattle air port security is a nightmare. I have taken 2 cruises out of seattle. both times I did ot take the chance of the early flight back to east coast. I took the red eye. My 2013 flight is early aftternoon (2pm) you may make it but why ruin a great trip worry about if your going to miss your flight. I think its too early

Mary

One problem is that although the distance is not far, Seattle has only 1 north-south expressway. What if there is construction and also a few accidents on the expressway. Then all bets are off.

There is light rail to SeaTac but I have never taken it. Also, I am not sure if it available from Pier 91.

DON

The light rail is great. Cost is minimul and from the Amtrak station to the airport takes about 25 minutes with few interuptions for traffic or rod construction. Have used it several times.

One problem is that although the distance is not far, Seattle has only 1 north-south expressway. What if there is construction and also a few accidents on the expressway. Then all bets are off.

There is light rail to SeaTac but I have never taken it. Also, I am not sure if it available from Pier 91.

DON

No it does not go to Pier 91, but it would be a short cab ride to Westlake.