Trolley to fort and Walking back...is it safe if alone?

dongordon

I plan on taking the trolley to the fort and then walking back to the ship.

Is the walk back safe if going alone?

Don

Yes, I feel very safe in OSJ. Like anywhere, pay attention to your surroundings, and know what is going on around you. If it is after dark, stay on the main streets. :)

Yes, I've walked the area many times. There will be plenty of other people walking around also, so you won't feel isolated. It's a beautiful city to experience by foot.

Just do as you would do in any city and be aware of your surroundings, but I feel very safe in OSJ.

I've even walked outside the main tourist areas by myself in OSJ and I've never felt unsafe. So the touristic hotspot like the fort is not something you should worry about. As Sue said, be aware of your surroundings, but that's something you should do the moment you step foot outside your house, imo

We spend 2 weeks in Puerto Rico touring in December 2011. OSJ felt very safe to everyone in my party(4 adults and 3 young children). And the locals were very helpful. You should have no trouble walking on our own :)

Edited by Pacruisejess

Totally safe... Everyone is super friendly (except for some of the entitled people getting off of the really big boats!) We got back on Dec 15 from the Carnival Breeze.

My family with 4 young boys loved San Juan and the forts. We walked the entire time from the port, to Starbucks, to the first fort and then the second fort before making a zig zag return through the various streets to see the sights. (trolleys were packed every time they passed by and there were only a few ships in port)

What an amazing city! Enjoy!

Don -- your info says you are from NYC. Use those street smarts in OSJ & you will be just fine.

Trish...in NYC, there are plenty of people in the streets.

I just wanted to be sure there are no dark alleys walking back to the ship! :D

Don

Edited by dongordon

Trish...in NYC, there are plenty of people in the streets.

I just wanted to be sure there are no dark alleys walking back to the ship! :D

Don

You can find some dark alleys if you look. My advice -- which should have been clearer -- was to stay out of them. :D

OSJ is kind of like the area around the South Street Seaport -- old cobblestone streets, European style homes, small shops etc.

It is still a major city with all that entails. Be alert but otherwise it's as safe as any place else.

I've been to OSJ three times and just booked another repositioning cruise for next November, partly because of the great ports on this 1-off sailing and partly because I want to return to OSJ.

This last time, I was solo. I stayed at the Sheraton OSJ. I spent the entire day prior to the cruise and the afternoon before sailing walking around the old city. Alone. I turned 61 the day after we sailed. I never once felt uncomfortable walking around. I'm female.

I did want to visit the cemetery by El Morro but I couldn't see any way to enter without walking into the La Perla neighborhood and I wasn't going to do that alone, even in the middle of the day.

I was often walking along side streets with no one else in sight, but I never felt uncomfortable. I've traveled quite a lot over the past few decades and like to think I'm pretty good at paying attention to my surroundings. When I get "that" vibe, I get out. I've never gotten that vibe in OSJ.

I was also out at night, to walk to dinner. That was only a couple of blocks from the hotel and on a main street. No problems there, either.

easy for strollers to get up and down the streets? can the trolley hold a stroller?

The streets are just fine for a stroller. The seating was tight on the trolleys I saw go by so I don't remember there being room but the distance is probably not worth stressing over using the trolley if you are even remotely in decent health. We walked to both forts from the port with no issue. (My youngest is 6 and he was just fine) With the traffic, we actually passed the trolley!

Very beautiful cemetery next to fort morro. Someone earlier mentioned walking through la perla. There actually is an entrance on the main road. (right next to some kind of a college (or school). You walk down a ramp and through small tunnel. Very safe.

Is there somewhere to get a GOOD map. We got one from the visitor center and I had some trouble finding a route coming back that felt safe and I was with another female at the time.

I took the trolley the time I went to the fort. I was with a friend and her DH, very large man and it seemed like a very long way around to me. I wish I had someone going on this cruise that felt safe and in good shape to walk it with me.

I just found this one on-line: http://mysite.verizon.net/mymoosieme/oldsanjuanmap.pdf

We want to be able to walk to El Morro and back.

Hope it helps!

Great map, thanks for posting the link. Which area on the map am I to avoid if walking? Sorry, someone mentioned La Perla, however I couldn't see that listed :confused:?

Great map, thanks for posting the link. Which area on the map am I to avoid if walking? Sorry, someone mentioned La Perla, however I couldn't see that listed :confused:?

when walking to fort you will be "above" la perla...the road is actually on top of the walls and you will see la perla between the road and the ocean. (it is between the two forts.)

• 1 month later...